[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/ just ready to pick my degree for university. I absolutely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: mathematics.jpg (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
mathematics.jpg
84 KB, 500x500
Hey /adv/ just ready to pick my degree for university. I absolutely love maths and am 100% going to do Pure Mathematics at uni but I'm interested in doing a dual degree with something else. Any opinions?
>>
Are you looking for spmething that dovetails well with mathematics, or something as different as possible from math?
>>
>>16599512
I'm interested in science and technology. I don't really want to be a programmer but I feel like Computer Science would be a nice overlap with Maths. I don't want to do finance or humanities or buisness or anything like that.
>>
if you ever want to be employed don't go for pure math.
>>
>>16599518
That's why I'm planning on doing a double degree. I really really want to learn the high level math stuff but there's no way I can do just that and make a living.
>>
You could do education so you could teach math. Computer science or engineering. Accounting or investments. Really depends on what you want to do with math. Want to teach it? Want to create things with it? Want to make money with it? Want to research it and try to solve things that haven't been done yet?
>>
Chemical engineering, plus aerospace engineering. Try those out. If you're still bored, ducking be a lawyer or pick up that md. Just stop crying for once in your life.
>>
>>16599522
After reading this you may want to pursue education. If you get a high enough degree to teach at a university/college you'll be able to continue learning and pursuing higher level math while being paid to do it. Helping others or having other great math minds helping you solve more complex problems/discover new things.
>>
>>16599525
>>16599532
I would love to teach and just discuss math with people as autistic as that sounds. I would love to work on hard problems for a living but I'm not sure I'm smart enough.
>>
>>16599535
If you like math and work hard to study it you'll be fine. You could always start out teaching secondary education(math level) and work on a higher degree while you get some experience under your belt. Then when you are finished with a higher degree level you'll have the classroom experience as well as better retention of basic math from repetitive courses and lessons in the classroom. You don't have to be a genius. Just have to want to learn.
>>
>>16599541
I meant (high school level math)
>>
>>16599541
>>16599544
Yeah I guess that's possible. There's a stigma about being a teacher unfortunately but I feel like it really is a meaningful job and I'd really enjoy it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.