[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why would someone change careers when it doesn't make sense
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 15
File: but why.jpg (40 KB, 500x416) Image search: [Google]
but why.jpg
40 KB, 500x416
For example, why the fuck would a laywer quit his law job to become a teacher? He is wasting all of his time and effort at law school. Also, being a teacher is shit with low pay, low social status, etc. These people are probably romanticising their jobs too much. Teaching has its own shitty aspects where you have to deal with kids who don't give a fuck about education and mark exams at home. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
>>
>>16599347
I was going into a Chemical Engineering degree. Realized I absolutely hated the class, hated the teacher, and the ideas of the degree itself. Currently going into a social work, and while it makes far less pay, I have the satisfaction of doing what I love.

Seriously. I need to love my job and degree, and would take a hit on money. Not like I need a lot anyway.
>>
>>16599355
I've heard you can earn six figures with a Chemical Engineering degree. Is that true? Don't you think it is a waste to do social work? I mean, most people hate their jobs over time. How can you know this will not happen to you?
>>
>>16599347
because they love their new jobs?
>>
This. Same. Fucking. Guy. Again.
>>
>>16599398
My question is different.
>>
People do what makes them happy. Some people have a different idea of happiness than you. You are just a kid, barely an adult, so just accept that there are many things in the world you just don't understand yet.
>>
You can only do a job you hate for so long, even if it is bringing in tons of money. Remember that your mental health is something you directly control and shoving your face against a grinder won't make your life more enjoyable. I'll stay scraping by as long as I never have to look at an oil rig again.
>>
I love this new meme OP

Shine on you giant faggot
>>
>>16599347
No doubt about it, lost income is cost. Sometimes it's a huge cost. But sometimes that cost can be worth paying. The reasons this haopens are usually intensely personal: I could not explain them to you even if I tried.

What the hell kind of answer have you been looking for these past few weeks, anyway? Did your kid give up a promising career as an actuary to go teach ESL in Albania or something?
>>
>>16599470
>I love this new meme OP
It's not a meme until more than one person starts posting it.
>>
>>16599417
Geez, normal people want an easy job with full benefits, tasks that are not too difficult, etc. They also want a job where it is difficult for the employer to fire you.
>>16599470
Pink Floyd is a fucking retarded band.
>>16599501
No, I don't have a kid. I am a uni student.
But still, the new job may be even more stressful. Like why the fuck would a lawyer quit a law job to become a teacher? To mark exams at home and to supervise brats?
>>
>>16599529
>Like why the fuck would a lawyer quit a law job to become a teacher?
One is less soulless thAn the other.
Idk if you are op, if you are, perhaps teachers are not romanticizing their work, and you are doing the opposite to them.
>>
>>16599581
>perhaps teachers are not romanticizing their work, and you are doing the opposite to them.
I am OP. What do you mean by that?
Why would an engineer switch to teaching though? That is not souless amd can pay six figures.
>>
>>16599347
I can tell just from the OP that you'll never understand or have a fulfilling life.
>>
>>16599613
Plenty of people agree that money can buy happiness
>>
>>16599347
Because being a teacher is much easier than being a lawyer.
>>
>>16599347
I'm going to become a teacher. Well, a special ed teacher. Right now I'm an assistant teacher in a classroom.

I love it. It gives my life purpose. I'm good at behavior analysis. I connect with the children. It's stressful, but only stressful because I care. And if I'm good at it and able, who else will? No one is really lining up to work with these kids.

I'm fine with making a decent 70k per year.
>>
>>16599630
Please tell me how dealing with angry kids and parents is easy.
>>
>>16599636
Do you even know what a lawyer does?
>>
>>16599636
Do you even know what a lawyer does?
>>
>>16599596
See
>>16599355
>>16599396
>>16599417
>>16599436
>>16599501
>>16599581
>>16599634
I don't really know how else to explain this to you. Money is not the end goal, at least not for everyone. Being fulfilled in life is one, having a good family life, and for some people, it's taking part (or trying to) in a career that might have the strongest effect on the future of our species.

I'm not a teacher, and I don't plan on being one any time soon, but I've been in a classroom a few times in a similar position. The feeling I got a few times when a kid finally *got it* - there's not a lot like it.

No one expects you to go become a teacher, anon. No one expects you to find teaching fulfilling. But the fact of the matter is that some people want to be teachers and those are the people who find it fulfilling - because why else would you enter into that career? Not enough pay and people like you constantly talking about how teaching is such a shit thing to do aren't job perks. Making that breakthrough with that trouble child, getting into the head of that classroom - it's not about making money, it's about making a fucking difference.

If you still don't get it, maybe you need to step back and consider what question you're actually asking.
>>
>>16599347

because they fucking hate the actual work

you could make a cool million a month if you did something like suck off a bunch of saudi princes, but you dont because the actual job is so horrible
>>
>>16599667
>fucking hate the actual work
but all jobs suck
>>
>>16599673
>says the guy whos done every job
>>
>>16599347
Some people are driven by things other than money. Weird, right?
>>
>>16599680
People hate work. It is a fact: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11871751/Its-official-most-people-are-miserable-at-work.html
>>
>>16599692
>implying most = everybody
>implying 1/3 of people minimum is a small portion
>implying eveyrone will always get the job they want

i actually think you're just trolling now, its a very good and subtle one indeed.

7/10, got me good
>>
>He is wasting all of his time and effort at law school.
Sunk cost fallacy. Just because he wasted his time and effort at law school doesn't mean he should continue to do so in his working life.
>>
>>16599700
I am not trolling. All jobs have their own shitty aspects. And how can these people know that they will love their new job before the career switch? A lot of people romanticise a certain thing too much.
>>16599708
Law school is expensive. Quitting a law job that is hard to get is a waste.
>>
>>16599721
>use fallacy
>have it pointed out
>use fallacy again
10/10 debating skills
>>
>>16599754
So what? Teaching sucks too with work to take home
>>
>>16599756
>Teaching sucks too
>sucks too
>too
>>
>>16599766
And your point is?
>>
>>16599774
You have never outlined how a teacher's job is shittier than a lawyer's apart from the lower pay.
>>
>>16599783
At least lawyers don't need to handle bratty kids.
Oh, and those engineers are not being wise when switching to teaching. Engineers have lots of social status and they can earn six figures.
>>
>>16599803
Yeah, they do, except they have to deal with them when they grow up.
Also in engineering, not only you have to deal with children, you also have to compete with them. The field is so oversaturated and competitive, and the status really only comes from being normal, not anything directly related to the job itself.
>>
Why do you keep posting these threads? And why in the fuck do I keep replying? It's like a morning ritual now, probably because I can't fucking stand my high paying job and these threads just keep reminding me of it.

Yes, every job has a shitty aspect. Many jobs have much more shit to deal with than a lesser paying job. You might find most everything fulfilling about being a teacher besides that one shitty kid, or grading bad papers, but the rest of it (a whole summer off, winter break, being a crucial part of a child's development) may make it more worthwhile than sitting in contract law all day and still essentially grading papers. Or defending a murderer. Or screwing over the little guy so a big corporation can win. All to the tune of an 80 hour work week where you don't even have the time to USE all of your precious money.

I'd much rather spend 3 months of the year at home, watching TV, reading books, enjoying some vidya, hanging out with my loved ones, rather than a week and a half in Dubai that I spend 50% of my time checking my work email anyways.

God, I hate my job. It's fucking Christmas Eve and I'm about to go in and spend about 12 hours there placing media for the new year. Everyone is working, everyone is so unhappy that they can't shut up about it, we're all miserable, and I'd love to make $40k less to be spending it with my family today.
>>
>>16599803
>money
>money
>money so important
>money is all
>oh but social standing important too

Jesus fucking christ, man. You are soulless. And retarded.
>>
>>16599634
>70k as a teacher
Where?
>>
>>16599816
Teachers need to deal with paperwork like lawyers.
>>
>>16599860
Grading papers once a month doesn't even slightly compare to all the bullshit forms lawyers have to wade through. Nice refutation of my previous point, though.
>>
>>16599860
Are you fucking retarded? All adults have to deal with paperwork. Teachers have to deal with a little more. Engineers have to deal with a LOT more. Lawyers have to wade through a soul-crushing quagmire of paperwork every waking moment of their career.

The two are not comparable in any way other than that they are both jobs.
>>
As a teacher the secret is making the kids grade each other and let a ta put in the scores.

All you need to do is put on a performance each day and pretend you care. Then learn to swat away banshees, tigers, dragons, helicopters, and the worst, absentee
>>
>>16599868
>>16599869
And why would any sane person pick teaching over actuary/pharmacy/accounting/etc? Really, teaching is not THAT good. You need to attend meetings, deal with angry parents, it has little room for career advancement, etc.
>>
Because some colored kid would be worth the effort over some asshole in a suit that can replace me easily.
Justice is not blind, it's a farce and is not fair.
>>
>>16599884
So it's pretty much like any other shitty office job, just exchange "parents" for "clients".
>>
>>16599902
So why switch careers when the other pays more?
>>
>>16599920
Because the higher paying job is also much shittier.
>>
>>16599927
How the fuck can actuary or accounting or pharmavy or really anything be shittier?
>>
>>16599935
The other two probably come down to personal preference, but you can't seriously say that the 24/7 data processing of basic accountancy is any better than the reasonably varied teaching.
>>
>>16599920
Because you aren't happy in them. How many times do we have to repeat this?

There are studies that suggest after a certain point, more money doesn't really affect one's happiness with their life. As I recall, it's something around 70k, which is roughly where a teacher can get to if they commit to the career. So if you are going to be just as happy from money, why choose a job that's going to suck more for you?
>>
>>16599347

Some people fail to realize this but life is not about money or fame. you are adding no value as a member of the human race unless you're facilitating learning or the sciences.
>>
I know i'm considering leaving my job as is right now. It's usually a combination of things. You may feel overworked or under compensated. But usually it comes down to whether you see a future with that business. If you can't look ahead and have some kind of certainty with the job you currently have, then why not take the gamble to a different employer? not all people are looking for just the dollar amount. time and a healthy work environment can make or break plenty of employees.
>>
My mother is a teacher...basically took so much work home both literally and figuratively that I got put on the back burner. lmao..yeah being a teacher sucks..
>>
>>16599852
In California, special ed teachers are paid quite a bit more than regular ed. With a bachelors, the start is 55k per year. With a masters, starting is 70k. At least in the district I work in.
>>
>>16599358
I'm not him, but money is an object anon, you shouldn't need a piece of paper to tell you, you're happy.
>>
>>16599529
Pink Floyd is not a retarded band, what's wrong with you?
>>
>>16599950
So those actuaries and pharmacists who switch are doing pointless bullshit.
>>
>>16601402
it is their preferance
>>
/thread
>>
this thread again?
>>
>>16599400
not really

you've gotten plenty of answers for this. stop making repeat threads until you get the response you want, because you won't, since your way of thinking about this is stupid
>>
your logic in all these repeat threads is that enjoyment of the job doesn't matter, and all you should care about is money, even if you hate the job you're doing to make it

what a sad way to live
>>
>>16599852
pay-scale is usually based off of education level and years of experience. fresh out of undergrad in your first gig: low pay. 30th year with a masters/phd: you get paid fairly well. consider the benefits teachers get: some districts cover medical/dental/vision and pay for professional development. Also private/public matters, public schools pay better
>>16599868
if a teacher only graded papers once a month, they'd be fired pretty damn quick. they also prep lesson plans, do PLCs, conference with parents, coach, complete IEPs for students, tutor, file for grants, and some do grad school and/or be parents on top of all that. Lawyers do some tough work too, but it's different from what teachers do
>>
>>16601919
>>16601926
>>16601970
Still doesnt explain why the fuck an actuary or a pharmacist would switch to teaching.
>>
>>16602025
because it's what they enjoy doing

if you're looking for a different answer, there isn't any. you want different things out of life than other people do, deal with it
>>
>>16599347
Answer:
Sometimes your old lifestyle(outlooks), and the career that stemmed from it, conflict with your current lifestyle.
>>
>>16602033
being an actuary/pharmacist is an "easy" job. it is stupid and a waste to give that up.
>>
Jesus Christ, you're still at this? How hard is it to understand that some people may simply prefer teaching?
>>
>>16602079
Very hard especially when it means giving up an easy, stable and well paid job (eg lawyer, pharmacist, actuary, engineer)
>>
>>16599825
I have lurked in a few of these threads and I noticed that OP rarely responds to posts like these. If he's not trolling, then he's deliberately cherry picking. He's like the Brandon of careers.
>>
>>16602086
I have been over this. Being a lawyer or an engineer is not an easy job even in the slightest, and if you think it is, then you have no fucking clue what they entail and are romanticizing them (you know, doing that exact same thing you accused teacher-wannabes of doing). You have this ridiculous idea that being a teacher is the worst thing on the planet, and unless you stop thinking that, then you will never understand this problem of yours.

TL;DR: Stop being a sperg.
>>
>>16602093
I do respond!
>>16602097
I aint a sperg. Even my parents will agree with me.
>>
>>16602086
>>16602097
And one more thing: If you've worked in any one of those fields, you probably have enough qualifications to be able to teach at a college, which according to your criteria should be much better than being a school teacher.
>>
>>16602124
Dont you need a PhD though? Getting a PhD is also dumb as fuck as the market is super competitive and the chances of you finding a tenured post is close to impossible. Still, some people give up their jobs to do a full-time PhD. I don't get it.
>>
>>16602136
>lawyer
>doesn't have PhD
>engineer
>doesn't have at least a Master's
I don't know what world you live in, but it sure as fuck ain't this one.
>>
>>16602042
>>16602086
>easy job
>pharmasist, engineer, lawyer

graduate highschool then come back
>>
>>16602115
yeah, and it's always something along the lines of "that's fucking stupid!"

getting pissy that people don't agree with you is very highschool, anon
>>
>>16602140
What about someone such as a pharmacists though? Or accountants? Or someone in business?
>>16602144
I am a university student not a high school kid.
>>
>>16602148
It is indeed "fucking stupid" to give up a law, pharmacy, engineering, acutary, accounting, etc job to be a high school teacher.
>>
>>16602153
and again, that mindset is what makes you seem like an immature sperg
>wahhh people don't live their lives the way I think they should even though it has nothing to do with me!!!
>I'm gonna shitpost the same thread on 4chan daily until people finally agree with me!
>gets mad when no one does

>>16602149
>I am a university student not a high school kid.
this is just embarrassing then
>>
>>16602149
Those would depend on what education they have. I'm sure that even pharmacists have to be fairly educated, solely because of the nature of their job. Accountants and businessmen, well, in those fields having higher education means better prospects, so if you went in them without having at least a Master's, then you're "fucking stupid" anyway.

I mean, you can bring up as many fields as you want, that will still not change the fact that msome people simply find teaching a better job than what they currently have.
>>
>>16602158
>some people simply find teaching a better job than what they currently have
This is impossible especially if you are a dentist, pharmacist or actuary
>>
>>16602168
Have you ever considered the possibility that other people are not spergs like you?
>>
>>16602171
I've told yoh I am not a sperg.
It just seems like a waste to give up suxh a stable, well paid, "easy" job. You cant get it back.
>>
>>16602173
You are a sperg. You're a sperg because you expect everybody to think like you. You're a sperg because you think your own subjective criteria on what makes a job desirable are objective facts. You're a sperg because you obviously have no clue what any of these job fields you bring up do and yet feel qualified in speaking about their relative difficulty. In short, you're a sperg because you're unwilling to consider anyone's viewpoint but your own. This is why you're a sperg, and it is also why you will never understand the answers you're getting.
>>
>>16602168
>this is impossible
are you sure you aren't in highschool? because you certainly sound like it

>it's impossible for people to have jobs in a field they're interested in
>anything I'm not interested in for a career no one else can be either

and pretty sure anyone repeatedly making a thread on here to fish for the response they want and calling others "fucking stupid" for not giving the "correct" opinion is a fucking sperg
>>
>>16599347
A lot of people can't find a balance in their individual lives where work coexists or meshes well with their home lives. A lawyer, money wise may be better off. But it could be stressful on his family, wife, himself. Or being a lawyer could just all out suck giant dong. And being a teacher would be more up his alley in his mind.

On the converse, a lot f people work stressful jobs with no issues because they can segment it well or their family lives cope well with it
>>
>>16602180
the most hilarious part of this thread is watching OP actually try to have their argument with a normal person

>"I'm going to be a teacher"
>why? you'd make more money as a pharmasist, engeneer, or lawyer. and they're easy jobs
>"what? no, they're not easy and require a lot of schooling.. and I like teaching"
>but WHY
>"because it's what I'm interested in and want to spend my life doing"
>WELL THAT'S FUCKING STUPID

OP confirmed for 15 year old or university kid sperg
>>
>>16602182
I am a university student
>>16602190
These people have no "good" reason on why they should become a teacher though. Yeah, a teacher is good coz they help people (i.e. help kids to learn). But really, accountants, lawyers, pharmacists, dentists, engineers, bankers, etc all contribute to society.
>>
>>16602199
see
>>16602180

What you classify as "good" is not the same as what they classify as "good".
>>
>>16602199
just want to go on record saying that you're fucking retarded and a colossal faggot.
not everyone wants to become lawyers/pharmacists/engineers. what is an "easy" job for some is next to impossible for others. To add to that, society needs more than just those three professions in life, and thanks to our free economy we can choose our careers. People are willing to accept jobs that do not pay as well as other jobs because they're doing something they enjoy or the work is not as stressful. Teachers love working with kids, Pharms love working with pills, Lawyers love putting crack dealers in jail, Engineers love working with dick-shaped buildings.

I know it's hard to wrap your head around the idea that there are people in this world who don't pick careers based solely on their paycheck. A million dollar salary doesn't mean shit if you want to put a gun in your mouth at the end of the day
>>
Lawyers get to see a little bit of what goes on behind the curtain. And some of them really weren't prepared to see what it is that goes back there. I think this was exactly the case here. That's when they realize that we can't possibly grow as a society without some major changes. There really isn't a better way than connecting with the future generation. The pay cut is the last thing he or she is concerned about.
>>
>>16602224
It is not "good" enough to explain why they should pick teachong over other careers that help people
>>
>>16602247
Again, see
>>16602180

You're continuing to assume your definition of "good" to be the absolute one.
>>
>>16602255
Like whe I ask those people "Why become a teacher", they will say "I want ti help people". So do engineers, actuaries, pharmacists, doctors, etc?
>>
>>16602260
All of those jobs are more difficult than teaching, sperg. Also, all of those jobs do other things that those people don't find attractive, sperg.
>>
>>16602247
how fucking dense are you? only an extreme sperg wouldn't be able to understand this

your idea of "good" =/= other people's idea of "good". therefore, you cannot objectively judge what is "good" and what isn't
>>
>>16602263
A pharmacists just prescribes medicine all day long. Is that difficult?
>>16602266
Good = not stressful, "easy" job, high income, high social status, stable employment, hard to be fired from job, etc
>>
>>16602289
>A pharmacists just prescribes medicine all day long. Is that difficult?
Uh... What?
>>
>>16602302
This is what a pharmacist does? How diffocult is that?
>>
>>16602289
No. The best way I can describe a pharmacist's job is it's like being a shop attendant (which is stressful on its own), except that you also have to have pretty good medical education because you're basically selling poison to people who need just enough of that poison to get better without it killing them. Again, I don't know what world you live in, sperg.
>>
>>16602304
That's such an oversimplification I don't even know where to begin.

Also, don't forget that people *absolutely* value enjoying their work. Some people enjoy watching kids grow and doing their part to make that growth as wonderful as possible. Teaching is literally that - with red tape and shit sometimes, but for the people I'm talking about it's always worth it. You had that list of things that make a job "good", now add this to it and go recalculate your position or something.
>>
>>16602304
Also I was wrong - it's not an oversimplification, it's just wrong. Doctors prescribe medicine, pharmacists deliver said medicine and do so with the knowledge that if they fuck up someone could die. How's that for stressful?
>>
>>16602317
People can learn to love a job they dislike. These people are just being picky.
>>16602322
What are the chances of that happening?
>>
>>16602324
Pretty low because they go through at the VERY least seven years of post secondary schooling. It's not an issue because we make DAMN sure it's not an issue.
>>
>>16602324
>People can learn to love a job they dislike. These people are just being picky.
Now you're getting into the territory of "those people I disagree with are just wrong for no objective reason".
>What are the chances of that happening?
Big even if you only fuck up once. Do you even know what medication is?
>>
>>16602328
What about in the UK, Australia, and rhe rest of the world though? Pharmacy is for undergraduates.
>>
>>16602324
>picky
Uh, no. Picky isn't what makes a person decide to give up thousands of dollars a year in income to do something else. Picky is what makes a person decide to eat the same meal at the same restaurant every time they go.

Do you like being stabbed in the kidney? No? Oh, you're just not trying hard enough. Stop being picky about getting stabbed. In fact, I don't know why you'd want anything BUT getting stabbed in the kidney.
>>
>>16602331
They arr being picky.
Medication errors occur more.frquently than you think.
>>
>>16602337
How is workijng at a well-paid, hard to fire from job the same as being stabbed in the kidney?
>>
>>16602338
No, we're all aware medical errors exist and happen all the fucking time. We've also watched House at least twice.
>>
>>16602338
>They arr being picky.
So what?
>Medication errors occur more.frquently than you think.
Yes, and they're always pretty bad when they do. That's why we try our darndest to not let them happen.

>>16602342
Because being stabbed in the kidney is something that can really happen to you when you work as a lawyer. Remember, those people deal with criminals.
>>
>>16602342
No, you just don't see it my way. You really should be getting stabbed in the kidney - optimally doing it yourself, but if you need a friend I'm sure you can find someone willing. Is the best option for anyone to take.
>>
>>16599347
I dropped out of pharmacy school to get my teaching credential because I love kids.
>>
For real though, thanks for letting me get to just rant at a person for being so thick. I dunno if you're just trolling or not, but either way I got in some great rant time. Cheers mate.
>>
>>16602350
This is bullshit. Both are not the same.
>>16602351
This is bullshit too. You wasted your years studying Pharmacy. Ans tou can just volunteer to teah or have kids of toue own
>>
File: 1450649543943.jpg (49 KB, 599x668) Image search: [Google]
1450649543943.jpg
49 KB, 599x668
>>16599347

I had to the capacity to go to Uni and acquire a degree in chemistry. I chose to work minimum wage at a family owned grocery outlet because they are great people to help. The weed after work every day is also a plus.
>>
>>16602381
>This is bullshit. Both are not the same.
He's not saying that. He's just saying that getting your kidney stabbed is "good", so there is no reason for you not to do it.
>This is bullshit too. You wasted your years studying Pharmacy. Ans tou can just volunteer to teah or have kids of toue own
Sunk cost fallacy. It has already been pointed to you, and yet you keep using it. Ever heard the phrase "throwing good money after bad"?
>>
>>16602386
Your job seems very boring
>>
>>16602381
Alright, I'll drop the stabbing thing.

Do you have a passion for anything? Something that keeps you up at night? Something you just can't stop thinking about, day after week after month after year? Not everyone experiences this, so it's not a rhetorical question.

That's what some people get for teaching. Maybe they spent seven years doing pharmacy school, and then spent two years as a pharmacist. Turns out they're not enjoying themselves, and their first efforts trying to fix that didn't work. So they go pursue a hobby - and this leads them to volunteer in a classroom for day.

Something clicks, and they realize that being around these kids as they figure things out is a great feeling. They get curious, look to see if maybe they can help it in a bio lab, or chemistry. Turns out they can, so they do.

At the end of the year, the chemistry teacher announces their intention to retire. Volunteer thinks "Hey, I can do this, and I LOVE doing this." That's only maybe a year of schooling to turn their biochem background into a qualified science teacher. Sure, it's a downgrade in pay, but who cares? It's certainly enough for rent or mortgage payments, and for the first time in probably ten years, this individual is looking forward to almost every day.

It's not like his experience as a pharmacist is suddenly worthless, either. Plenty of applicable skills in any career path transfer to others, especially when transferring to teaching.

Does this sound illogical to you?
>>
>>16602390
But being a pharmacist is much bettee than teaching!
>>
>>16602393
Stocking shelves and taking out garbage is boring, yes. It's fun shooting the shit with people you meet though.
>>
>>16602403
Obviously fucking not if the pharmacist is willing to switch to teaching.
>>
>>16602401
Geez teaching sucks in its own ways? And really, all jobs become boring over time. It is like eating your favorite food for every meal. You will be sick of it.
>>16602405
You can chat with people in your free time instead of making that your job.
>>16602407
They are romanticising teaching too much.
>>
>>16602414
>You can chat with people in your free time instead of making that your job.
That is part of the job when you're a cashier.
>They are romanticising teaching too much.
And you are vilifying it too much.
>>
>>16602424
>vilifying it too much.
Every job is shit. I did part time jobs in retail and they were shit.
>>
>>16602553
Retail is not teaching. And teaching is not nearly as bad as you say it is.
>>
>>16602574
All jobs suck. This includes teaching: http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/teacher-blog/2013/dec/28/stress-crisis-teaching-profession-secret-teacher
>>
>>16602576
>teaching sucks
>why would anyone become a teacher
>all jobs suck
>being all other jobs is just fine
The mental gymnastics you're performing just now...
>>
>>16602581
Being a lawyer or engineer is better (at least in terms of pay)
>>
>>16602635
>better in one area
>better in all of them
Two very different things.
>>
>>16602647
All jobs have their own shitty aspects. How can you deny that?
>>
>>16602671
I'm not. You're denying that.
>>
>>16602678
So why switch to teaching if both law and teaching are shit and lawyering pays better?
>>
>>16602690
Because they are shit in different ways and amounts.
>>
>>16602690
Being a lawyer can be a lot more shitty than being a teacher.
>>
>>16602692
>>16602693
What about engineering, pharmacy, actiary and accounting though? All are less shitty than teaching.
>>
>>16602699
No, they're not.
>>
Test.
>>
>>16602704
Prove it
>>
>>16602709
"You can't prove a negative."
"The burden of proof lies with the positive claim."
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
Bite me.
>>
The question is why do you care so much what others do with their lives?

As a teacher myself the pay doesn't mean anything to me. I make enough to save every month, indulge in my hobbies, have a roof over my head, and food on my table.

You make lawyers to be the pinnacle of a "good job" because of the pay. You do realize this country is flooded with lawyers right? Vast majority make just as much as me, and the ones that you have in your head as being paid well ended up lucky at a firm with a good client base. Not everyone is lucky like them.

I went into teaching because I love expressing and sharing my love for the subjects I teach. I want to inspire and perhaps help students down the road of science. Yes, there are shitty aspects of the job, but this job is hands down better than working as a nurse which is what I did prior to going into teaching. Making less than I did as an RN, but I don't dread going into work because of coworkers or patients. Yes, I deal with shitty kids from time to time, but with every profession you deal with shitty people.

What you view as a shitty aspect to a job someone else could enjoy that part of the job.
>>
>>16602721
Well nursing is more stressful than teaching, so switching to teaching makes sense. Lawyers, engineers, actuaries, phaarmacists, actuaries, bankers, etc switching to teaching does not
>>
>>16602800
Adding bankers to the list now, are we? And haven't you agreed that being a lawyer can be much more stressful than being a teacher? It's like you don't listen to anything you disagree with.
>>
>>16602800
Those jobs are all more stressful than teaching. Are you a teacher? If so, fuck you for trying to play up the stresses of teaching. You picked an easy job, fuck off.
>>
>>16602805
>Those jobs are all more stressful than teaching
Prove it! That is not true.
>>
>>16602814
How about you prove that they are? See
>>16602712
>>
>>16602814
You said they were, but they aren't. You haven't provided any evidence for your claim.
>>
10/10 OP you glorious faggot.
>>
>>16602815
>>16602816
For example, bankers just talk to clients? Pharmacists just prescribe medicine?
>>
>>16602830
Right, and teachers just talk in front of a class.

Fuck off, you're retarded. You're using all of the extra responsibilities as an argument for teaching but you don't accept it for others. This is why you think a lawyer does less work than a teacher, you have no idea what other jobs actually involve. You're a teacher, right?
>>
>>16602830
>Pharmacists just prescribe medicine
We've already been over how this claim is bullshit, and yet you still keep making it. As for
>bankers just talk to clients
One, you think dealing with angry people who demand their money is easier than dealing with unruly kids? Two, what about all the other things they do? Filing, data processing, meetings?
>>
>>16602841
>filing, data processing, meetings?
Teachers do that too?
All jobs are stressful and not fun, so why switch to one which pays less?
>>
>>16602867
We've been over this, too. See
>>16602692
>>
>>16602867
They do not do it anywhere near as much or as intensively. Jobs are different, they are not the same just because you say they are.
>>
>>16602883
Well nursing is super stressful but the others aren't
>>
>>16602888
And you still haven't proven that.
>>
>>16602888
You're mistaken. Nursing is easy compared to those others.
>>
>>16602891
>>16602893
You need to deal with sick, grumpy patients, blood, vomit, piss, clean up after patients, etc. You may need to do night shifts. Why else is there a shortage of nurses?
>>
>>16602907
No. These are the only two jobs you know anything about, probably because THEY WERE RECOMMENDED TO YOU IN COLLEGE. I WONDER WHY THAT IS?
>>
>>16602907
I meant you haven't proven that those other fields are not super stressful.
>>
>>16602909
Well: http://www.nursetogether.com/why-nursing-not-one-top-10-most-stressful-jobs-2014
And what are those two fields that you mentioned?
>>
>>16602911
At least there are no shortages of lawyers and pharmacists in the states?
>>
>>16602915
Non sequitur. That has nothing to do with how stressful a job is.
>>
>>16602913
We are being told that teaching is the most stressful job in the world compared to all possible desk jobs, particularly a lawyer. Secondarily we are being told that nursing is bad for *reasons*, while no reasons are actually being provided for ANY other job.

The only two jobs OP has demonstrated any knowledge of are nursing and teaching, yet they're making comparisons with jobs they can't name even a single responsibility of.

For example:
Teachers have to do paperwork
Lawyer have to do paperwork

Therefore the less stressful job is preferable, which according to OP is lawyering. This doesn't take into account LITERALLY ANY OTHER ASPECTS OF JOB, and it's factually inaccurate.
>>
>>16602916
Yes it does. A lot of nurses quit their jobs due to stress and hence the shortage.
>>16602917
See? You said teaching is stressful!
>>
>>16602922
>it's factually inaccurate
>>
>>16602922
>Yes it does. A lot of nurses quit their jobs due to stress and hence the shortage.
You're confusing cause and effect here.
>stressful -> shortage
does not imply
>shortage -> stressful
>>
>>16602922
Most nurses are female, they quit any job that doesn't let them slack off. A lot of them tend towards teaching and other government positions because it's very hard to get fired and so little is expected of you.

On top of that, nursing SCHOOL is very competitive. You need pretty good grades to get in and stay in because so many other women apply. This makes it very attractive for bragging rights and because other women are doing it, but not for any particular other reasons. It's not that hard of a job, especially in modern times, and it requires a similar level of physical effort to almost any other manual labor job.

It isn't especially stressful, it's just an average amount. This is too much for most women, so they are fired or quit even after spending so much time and money in school.
>>
>>16602928
No, the stress led to the shortsge not the other way around.
Why is there a shortage of nurses then?
>>
>>16602935
I'm saying that you're seeing (stressful -> shortage), you're assuming that (shortage -> stressful) while disregarding all the other factors that may cause a field to be oversaturated or underrepresented and applying it to all the other jobs. In short, the shortage of nurses says nothing about the stress involved in being a lawyer.
>>
>>16602935
They're women, it's too much time and effort FOR THEM, not in general. If you poll any mostly-female profession they are going to give you massively inflated ratings for the stress in their job. A lot of them also quit to have children later in life.
>>
>>16602944
This is mysoginistic
>>
>>16602941
>all the other factors
What are these factors then?
>>
>>16602952
Pay, personal fulfillment, the general nature of the work, knowledge and education requirements and more. Just because you ignore them doesn't make them irrelevant.
>>
File: muh.jpg (43 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
muh.jpg
43 KB, 500x502
>>16602946
That don't make it false.
>>
So I'm assuming the lack of reply means that OP has no good response and is just waiting for someone else to come in and make the same basic arguments that have been made five times already so he can give the exact same replies that have already been refuted.
>>
>>16603028
OP has nothing better to do than post threads like this every day. He does it just for the sake of wanting to feel right, and ignores anyone disagreeing with him.
>>
ITT: OP's mom left a cushy pharmacy job for a lower-paying (but more fulfilling) teaching job, so now he has to get a part-time job if he wants to finish his degree and become an actuary.
>>
>>16599884
Because they enjoy it, you fucking aspie.
>>
Lol I made up the pharmacy teaching thing to see if OP would get assblasted angry.

He's just like reddit. A community full of idiots telling others how to have fun "better."
>>
>>16602953
you can find fulfilment by being a lawyer too?
>>
>>16604061
people do whatever interests them
>>
>>16604408
They are just beong picky! All jobs suck really
>>
>>16599347
How the fick did this get so many responses
>>
>>16599347
Because money is not happiness.
Make enough to pay bills and is enjoyable enough to keep you off the noose and fuck anyone who criticizes you for following your passion. Why is it so important to you how much money this person makes? Maybe you should worry more about yourself and stop judging people for trying to be happy.
>>
>>16599347

Because sometimes either people lose their passion and gain another, or some people you know, get old and decide they don't exactly want to retire, but want to keep themselves busy for a while longer so they get an easy going job like teaching, or retail.

Not everything is about money anon. Obviously money is important but if money was everything, we wouldn't have millionaires and billionaires committing suicide.
>>
File: sage.jpg (54 KB, 800x266) Image search: [Google]
sage.jpg
54 KB, 800x266
!!!!! ATTENTION - DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD !!!!!

The OP is not posting to actually get any answers, he just wants to get people to agree with him. He ignores the answers he gets and gives the exact same answers every time even after they have been refuted.

!!!!! WARNING - OP IS A FAGGOT !!!!!
>>
>>16605183
>we wouldn't have millionaires and billionaires committing suicide.
But how many of them are there?
These people who switch to teaching may lose intetest too.
>>
>>16605443
says the guy who writes on capital letters
>>
>>16605447
Hey at least he's trying to do something about this Fukushima of a thread
>>
>>16602199
>education
>doesn't contribute to society
lol
>>
>>16605463
So do accountants, engineers, bankers, pharmacists, lawyers?
>>
File: 18.png (70 KB, 500x503) Image search: [Google]
18.png
70 KB, 500x503
DO NOT REPLY, YOU IDIOTS
>>
>>16605586
I am not a troll.
>>
File: 7.png (28 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
7.png
28 KB, 625x626
>>16605591
>>
>>16605595
I am serious with my question. All jobs are shitty so why not pick one which pays more?
>>
File: 10.png (139 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
10.png
139 KB, 625x626
>>16605598
>>
>>16605601
I mean, people can just learn to love a job and stop being picky.
>>
File: 10.jpg (38 KB, 360x361) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
38 KB, 360x361
>>16605610
>>
>>16605610
Are you trying to deprive the world of teachers, you sack of shit? Without teachers and education(which you seem to lack) you wouldn't even be given the luxury of choosing a job that's not manual labor or prostitution, you faggot.
>>
File: 9.png (48 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
9.png
48 KB, 625x626
>>16605624
>>
>>16605624
What I mean is teaching is for losers whose grades are too shit for Law or anything. It is a waste of become a teacher when you are a lawyer.
>>
File: 11.png (23 KB, 200x201) Image search: [Google]
11.png
23 KB, 200x201
>>16605635
>>
>>16605639
I'm not baiting.
Can you stop posting these fish pics? They are ugly as fuck.
>>
File: 14.jpg (89 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
89 KB, 625x626
>>16605645
>>
>>16605647
It's not.
>>
File: 3.png (76 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
3.png
76 KB, 420x420
>>16605680
>>
>>16605682
Geez I am looking for serious responses.
>>
File: 14.png (13 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
14.png
13 KB, 200x200
>>16605723
>>
File: 1448092084785.png (86 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1448092084785.png
86 KB, 625x626
>>16605723
Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.