[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how does one 'get over' mental illness? i'm fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: sdfdfssfdf.png (902 KB, 882x814) Image search: [Google]
sdfdfssfdf.png
902 KB, 882x814
how does one 'get over' mental illness? i'm fucking sick of alienating people
>>
therapy and/or meds
>>
Do you want an honest answer?
>>
>>16598268
>>16598268
well my 'best friend' just left with ~2000$ worth of free stuff
>>
>>16598277
Wat? We're gonna need some more info lol
>>
>>16598277
I guess that means no.
>>
You can either study neurology, which will eventually give you all the answers you need
Or you can study psychology, which will show you, with great haste, that psychology is not a school to be trusted
Or you can use common sense, which will give you both of those answers.

'Mental illness' is very evident in some people. Namely those with schizophrenia or other major dissociative problems. If your only problem is 'alienating people' then I'm going to go out on a limb and say you likely have nothing close to such problems.

If a completely sane man doesn't eat for 36 hours, then goes for a psychological exam, he will be ruled as mentally ill.

tl;dr
Psychology is dumb and makes no sense.

If you absolutely must continue deluding yourself, at least tell us which mental illness you supposedly have, so we can give you a clearer answer.
>>
>>16598289
>>16598295
I guess i'll literally do anything for affection
I wish someone like you had the balls to slit my throat but you don't
>>
What kinda mental illness are we talking about right now?
>>
>>16598258
smoke crack
>>
>>16598306
I do not know for sure who this is.
>>
>>16598306
I'm unpatiently waiting for a response.
>>
>>16598306
I guess it must have been the wrong person.
>>
>>16598357
If it wasn't I think we should arrange a meet tomorrow with you and your girlfriends if you want.
>>
File: mario bomb.jpg (190 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
mario bomb.jpg
190 KB, 640x640
I look at my own depression and anxiety the same way I look at my Type One Diabetes. If you don't take care of it, pay attention to it, learn from it, take your medicine, and see a doctor once in a while, it's going to be bad. But if you do all those things, you can keep it in check and feel pretty good.

I began to suffer from depression and anxiety around age 17. I'm 23 now. I thought I was hung up on a girl I liked who liked my best friend, and it was awful, but I realized that huh, I shouldn't want to KILL myself over this. So I started talking to my doctor and he diagnosed me with clinical depression. I saw some Psych doctors and he put me on a low dose of an anti-depressant.

So after a couple years, my meds got regulated, I talked out my problems with my friends and family, and ever recommitted myself to God, and I have never been happier.

After being a NEET all my life, I'm moving two hours away next week to my own apartment to study my passion at university and working as a writer for a local newspaper.

My point is, you will probably always struggle with mental illness, but it doesn't have to hurt you. It's a long war, but take it on a battle-by-battle basis. You can win.
>>
>>16598384
I'm assuming this is about a girl named L? If so, what time and place tomorrow? You know where I live and shit and treat me like an object. So, maybe talk a little tomorrow?
>>
>>16598397

Umm... no. Her name was Katelyn. I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>16598401
Ok, I'm trying to meet up with a girl called Lonneke or Jasmijn tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they'll read this. If they ignore me, I know enough.
>>
>>16598306
Do it yourself. It's not my task.
>>
>>16598476
Are these bitches aliens?

>Lonneke prep the hyper drive
>>
>>16598493
I don't know what you're trying to say.
>>
>>16598384
>I began to suffer from depression and anxiety around age 17.
>I'm 23 now
>recommitted myself to God

This has to be some kind of joke. Everyone is depressed and anxious when they're 17. Your fucking brain isn't even done growing yet you damned chode.
>>
>>16598493
Sounds like someones I know. Someones who are copying me in a very negative and mean way.
>>
>>16598504
>Your fucking brain isn't even done growing yet you damned chode.

Your fucking brain never stops "growing". The so called growth or "development" of brains in the post-puberty stage is the further recombination and indensifying of the neurons, become tighter packed and more connected.

There is nothing special about the period of brain development in this stage. It is a misnomer to call it "growth", because while it is developing due to exposure to stimuli, it is not any different than an adult brain.

If you locked a 12 year old in a basement and then let them out 10 years later, to continue their life where they left off, their brain would go through the same processes as a teen/early 20's brain 10 years "delayed".

Brain development in the random neuro-noob's eyes conjures images of a brain with only part of a frontal lobe, or perhaps no occipital lobe, because those parts haven't formed yet.

The brain has all its parts the moment you're born. Those parts get more specialized and powerful through stimuli. There is no such thing as some special years where the brain is "growing". The primary core of the brain already exists.

People who are 60 still have brains that do this neuron development dance, replacing, changing, and growing. It happens not to occur at the same rate as a less "developed" brain because there's less to do.

Like drawing on a blank canvas. There's less to do in the final stages than when you're sketching out all the big parts. The changes also look smaller.

The brain isn't some malformed organism that only achieves its final form in adulthood. It constantly changes shape in response to stimuli, and it would be a smooth egg shell if you took an otherwise genetically and neurologically healthy infant brain and kept it in a suitcase for 60 years.

So called brain development goes hand in hand with exposure to stimuli. The brain doesn't "grow" because someone's starting to drive.
>>
I went from being diagnosed as severely bipolar, psychotic, and schizophrenic to functioning pretty well. (Went straight from a jail / psych ward to a reasonably prestigious college with a B average and very active social life in one year. Looking to bring that GPA up, get a job, and eventually get a girlfriend and stop sleeping around as well).

I no longer take my antipsychotics because of side-effects, but I haven't had any outbursts. I do still take trazodone as a sleep aid, which also has some anti-anxiety and anti-depression affects as I am told, though it's mostly just to prevent insomnia, which seemed to be the main trigger for my manic episodes, which haven't happened in over a year.

The catalyst for all of this was moving from a shitty state in the North where I don't get along with most people or my family, to Southern California, where I feel much happier, can maintain a healthy relationship with my family from a distance, fit in socially and creatively, and don't have to deal with seasonal depression.

The steps I took to do this were to work a job and save up money, and transfer to my top choice school, which I was pretty lucky to get into.

If you can find an excuse to drop everything and stop surrounding yourself with toxicity, and find the place that's perfect for you, with a stable life path once you're there, then do whatever you have to do to get there.

There was a lot of pain, anxiety, and self-doubt preparing for it, but once I landed on the West Coast, and began my new life, everything automatically became better. Sometimes running away is the solution, if you have a plan.

Now that I've got most of my shit together I've managed to mend a lot of broken relationships over on the East Coast as well.
>>
>>16598493
Lonneke is the engines maintainer of the intergalactic federations untied section 1, space squad 3 megaship class atom
>>
>>16598596
You're so funny.
>>
>>16598530
>Your fucking brain never stops "growing".
MATURING then, if you want to play semantics.

>The so called growth or "development" of brains in the post-puberty stage is the further recombination and indensifying of the neurons, become tighter packed and more connected.
That's not true, brains undergo periods of increased grey matter pre-adolescence, and then they actually lose grey matter in the pre frontal cortex during adolescence. You're not always growing and intensifying all of your neurons in a linear progression.

>The brain isn't some malformed organism that only achieves its final form in adulthood.
Yes it is. Just because you can learn throughout your life doesn't mean that a 10 year old's brain is just as efficient or capable as a 30 year old's brain.

>There is nothing special about the period of brain development in this stage. It is a misnomer to call it "growth", because while it is developing due to exposure to stimuli, it is not any different than an adult brain.
That's ridiculous. You're brain fine-tuning itself through stimuli IS development, but you cannot unequivocally say that an adult brain is no different from an adolescent brain.

When your 17, you do not have an adult brain. You brain can still change in respsonse to stimuli, but that's does not mean that you're using a biologically mature organ.

>Brain development in the random neuro-noob's eyes conjures images of a brain with only part of a frontal lobe, or perhaps no occipital lobe, because those parts haven't formed yet.
That's idiotic and you pulled it out of your ass.
>>
>>16598602
blablabla
>>
>>16598530
>If you locked a 12 year old in a basement and then let them out 10 years later
Completely false.

Toddlers who are forcibly made not to learn a language have permanent brain problems and can never learn to communicate effectively.
>>
>>16598602
>You're brain fine-tuning itself through stimuli IS development, but you cannot unequivocally say that an adult brain is no different from an adolescent brain.

Explain why you can stop development of the brain by removing all stimuli, if the brain development is based on chronological age, you numpty.
>>
>>16598631
>Explain why you can stop development of the brain by removing all stimuli,
You can't remove all stimuli. You can't stop development. You lose.

>if the brain development is based on chronological age
Are you retarded? I'm not talking about chronological age specifically, I'm talking about MATURITY. The human brain NEEDS to go through childhood, adolescence, and adulthood to fully mature. That's why scans of adolescent brains don't look like scans of adult brains.
>>
>>16598654
>Are you retarded? I'm not talking about chronological age specifically, I'm talking about MATURITY. The human brain NEEDS to go through childhood, adolescence, and adulthood to fully mature. That's why scans of adolescent brains don't look like scans of adult brains.

The only reason they look different is because of stimuli. You lose.
>>
>>16598611
>Completely false.
>Toddlers who are forcibly made not to learn a language have permanent brain problems and can never learn to communicate effectively.

That just further reinforces that brains dont magically grow and develop based on aging. Brains require stimulus to "grow", and growth only means structural cahnges due to stimulus.
>>
>>16598602
All true, but children can and do get depressed. Ask me how I know you're not a healthcare professional.
>>
>>16598727
i think mentally ill kids should be given the black pill. Save them and us misery of them growing up.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.