[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to stop being shut-in and social retard?Im 19
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1450623492539.jpg (1 MB, 3537x2924) Image search: [Google]
1450623492539.jpg
1 MB, 3537x2924
Is it possible to stop being shut-in and social retard?Im 19 and i stopped going out of my house since i was 12-13 without counting going to school all of that because i was bullied and now i cant even talk to my parents without feeling awkward.Also people almost always tell that my facial expression is of someone who is really sad even if i dont feel like that at the moment.
>>
Your only real question is whether going outside and talking to people is possible, even if you haven't done it for six years.

My estimate is yes, yes it's possible.
Start with something easy, where you know people are welcoming towards strangers. Like volunteering at a shelter, something like that? Join a club? Do some life drawing? Idk, are you socially awkward, or are there other reasons for shutting in?

Maybe you are depressed. Depression doesn't equal sadness.
>>
>>16597145
>Idk, are you socially awkward, or are there other reasons for shutting in?
Yes i am and thats the main reason im shut in
>Maybe you are depressed
Im but lately its better.
>>
>>16597002
>Is it possible to stop being shut-in and social retard?
Yes, but it takes time. If you can get a friend to help you out on that, it will save you years, but it's hard to find someone willing to cope with our autism.

It took me probably 3-4 years, and I'm still not normal. Here's my experience:
I started being shut-in around 15 and and I hit the rock bottom at 24. At that age, for example: I couldn't even make a phone call to a local store asking for the availability of a product, I was writing "scripts" on paper beforehand so I knew what to say.

Some external events forced me to get out of my comfort zone and it made me realize how I wasted around 10 years of my life sleeping.
I started to try to improve my look (go to gym and pay more attention to fashion). I also started to force myself to go out.
I was fucking ridiculous at first (first time I went to the gym I was just standing there not knowing what to do, same thing for the stuff I said when I started to try to go out, god was I retarded). But I also learned to not give too many fucks about what other people think, because my goal is more important than that.

TL;DR like yourself and people will like yourself as well.
>>
>>16597241
I live in small country and the gyms are full with douchebags and i dont thick body is that important compared to social ability since a lot of fat guys do pretty well but i have no idea what to do since i have no friends and am poor.
>>
Is English your second language?
>>
>>16597397
Yep
>>
What was your life like before you stopped going out? Did you have friends? Did you fit in?

Trying to find out if you've always been socially awkward or if the being a shut in has caused it.

There was a period in my life where I didn't go outside for a few months and it was really hard to be outside after that and talk to people but got easier the more I did it and then I was back to normal.

But if you've always been awkward then not sure if just forcing yourself to go outside is the answer.
>>
>>16597389
I can tell you getting smiles in the street from girls or random compliments at the bar really boosts my self-esteem.
Even though it's true you need social skills at some point, being more attractive really helps (with guys too, no homo), people are just generally nicer and it's much easier to initiate conversations, which will help you being less socially challenged.

>gyms are full with douchebags
>yaddi yadda
Sounds like you're making up excuses.
I also found myself ridiculous the first time I went to the gym and I was surrounded by beefy dudes with my shit body. I think everybody does, I just decided to not give a shit.

It's really a matter of loving yourself before getting other people to like you. Improving your look is just something very tangible and you can act on it right now.
>>
>>16597424
>What was your life like before you stopped going out? Did you have friends? Did you fit in?
Now that i look at it i was probably awkward even then but i didn't care because i was almost always out and had a lot of good friends so i guess i was able to fit in.I cant see at this stage how forcing myself to go out will help me.
>>
>>16597465
Why did you start getting bullied? Perhaps identifying the source will help you realize what needs to be done.

Someone doesn't go from having a lot of good friends to being bullied to the point they become a friendless shut-in for the next 6 years, without something significant occurring.
>>
>>16597509
Because i never wanted to fight even if i could easily overpower them because i would feel bad after it.I probably looked goofy too but in general i was just huge pussy.
>>
bump before going to bed
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.