[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
schizophrenia advice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 32323.jpg (61 KB, 493x335) Image search: [Google]
32323.jpg
61 KB, 493x335
Any fellow anons have schizophrenia I was diagnosed recently any tips advice??? I am thinking "now what" keep going with my life and take meds?, I heard some mixed reviews about Seroquel any alternatives?
>>
File: spooky.gif (855 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
spooky.gif
855 KB, 500x281
you see any spooky desu?
>>
>>16596707
I don't understand do I see scary hallucinations? from time to time now yes
>>
>>16596707
kek
>>
File: slide09[1].gif (11 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
slide09[1].gif
11 KB, 450x338
>>16596700
Bipolar here; I was mistakenly diagnosed with schizophrenia first, but the diagnosis was changed later.
I'm taking Seroquel as well, and it seems to work pretty well. It's very good compared to most other anti-psychotics. Most other anti-psychotics are very sedative and impair cognitive function far more than Seroquel does.

Also, schizophrenia is a very, very disabling disease and you should be aware of that. It even impairs you from seeing how disabled you are and how shitty your life is. After the first schizophrenic episode, one loses roughly 20 IQ points on average - that's a lot. You become almost mentally retarded. Also, about 90% of schizophrenic patients are chronically unemployed, and those who do work do so part time and irregularly.

You should forget "keep going with your life". This disease gets progressively worse (at least, for most people). You should focus on ensuring that you won't end up homeless, or in prison. Get on disability income as fast as you can, or you might regret it.
>>
>>16596720
I understand that it is a serious condition but I feel fine a lot of people have told me that I am not suited to be working but I seem completely fine in my opinion
>>
>>16596720
>>16596736
hmm not the guy that you replied to but you should take a break for a little bit let the medication kick in and i think you should get yourself on disability your eligible for it
>>
>>16596736
That's because your illness prevents you from realizing how disabled you are. It's a typical symptom of schizophrenia. It even has a name: "anosognosia".

Here's an interesting read about it:
https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Related-Conditions/Anosognosia

I would suggest you get on disability income as soon as you can, or you might end up homeless soon. Schizophrenia deteriorates with time, and you might not even be aware of it because of the symptom described above.
>>
>>16596748
Okay I will look into it never knew it was a symptom so I could be

>not fine
>but I think I am?
>>
>>16596755
Yes. Exactly.
>>
>>16596755
>>16596736
Yeah bud you need to chill and just enjoy the getting paid while at home experience you just showed a symptom of schizophrenia I hope we are getting through you here I know you might not believe us but it's worth a try I had a family member who had this condition
>>
>10 replies
>2 posters

Someone's samefagging
>>
>>16596787

>11 replies
>2 posters

Someone's samfagging
>>
>>16596755
Do not lose your mind or go full panic mode over this. Take your meds and follow whatever guidance program you're in and you'll be fine. Don't end up in a psychiatric hospital or we'll take away every freedom we fear might be harmful to you. Schizophrenia deterioration worsens depending on your lifestyle choices/decision so please take care of yourself as well as possible. It's a positive mindset to not see yourself as disabled, but don't let it go to your head.
>>
Who diagnosed you, and how? What criteria and evidence did they provide that this medication was the right approach for you, what problems are you experience?

I'm going to be blunt, as a whole, psychiatry is a sham. There are uses for some of their practices, but bear in mind, these people pushing their delusional idea of "mental illness" while running around and lobotomizing everything in sight no more than 60 years ago. Then they moved on to ECT, ie, put random types of current through a patient's brain, from various angles, until something works.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but think very carefully about this. A modern day witch doctor, is still but a mere witch doctor. They have little to no idea what they're actually doing half the time, nor can they truly argue why their criteria represents an ideal you should conform your life to.
>>
>>16596813
so they were lying? this whole time? so I was right...
>>
>>16596813

You're an asshole. ECT is only used when a severely ill patient doesn't respond to any other treatment. It's a last resort.

Psychiatry isn't an exact science by any stretch, that's true, but that's because it's incredibly complicated. It's not a 'sham'. Fortunately, it's improving all the time and modern treatments bring relief to a lot of people who 100 years ago they could only put away in a hospital.

OP, what's important is that you do your best to be proactive about your treatment. That means seeing your doctor regularly to monitor your progress. If you want advice about medication, get it from doctors. The trouble with researching it online is that most of the general public will only bother writing about their experiences online when their experiences are bad ones.

I haven't dealt with schizophrenia personally, but I've been through mental health treatment for OCD, which is what I'm basing my advice on. Be aware that there may be a process of trial and error to find the best medication, etc. for you. I tried 4 different kinds before I found one that worked and didn't have too many side effects.
>>
>>16596822
Don't listen to that retarded. Unlike things like depression and anxiety, schizophrenia is definitely caused by a chemical imbalance. You are better off taking meds then going off the deep end because some faggot on /adv/ is telling you not to trust your dr.s. The meds might not cure you completely but they do help.
source: My mom is schizo.
>>
>>16596842
>>16596843
Alright so he is just being asshole I don't have to worry about him right?
>>
>>16596822
That all depends.

Schizophrenia, which is just a name for a cluster of symptoms and changes in the brain, does exist. And since someone made up this name, you could fit it. But how? Do you truly fit it? Is the way they claim it'll pan out actually meaningful, is medication the answer?

Don't know, it depends. If I were you, I'd work on improving my diet and lifestyle. And delve my psyche to figure out what fucked up emotionally conflicting shit I do and deal with on a daily basis, the rejection and blindness of which is driving me to madness.

When I was younger, if it was casually suggested that I might be schizoaffective (for consistent panic attacks with some near psychosis stuff attached), and rapid mood changes / mania. The bipolar part was probably correct, and it might have a physical basis. But do you know where it really stems from? Emotional conflict. Deep conflict that I didn't even realize existed, lifelong. My entire life was layers and layers of this shit, every single day. And it fucked me up.

I was there once. Wandered around half aware of where I was, hallucinating and rambling the most nonsense sense you'd ever find sensible. And I decided to drag myself back to sanity and do something about it. And I did. Had I started taking some bullshit medication I'd probably still be hobbling along telling myself it's all better than it really is, and simply a mechanical failure of the brain that is beyond my conscious or behavioral control. Load of horseshit.

Do what you will.
>>
>>16596842
>ECT is only used when a severely ill patient doesn't respond to any other treatment.
In modern times. How long do think it took to figure out a square wave typically worked the best? How many trials? Tried DC... tried varying frequencies of AC, try on this part of the skull, try here instead.... And gosh golly it was all so interesting, but really, very professional. They assure you.

>but that's because it's incredibly complicated.
No, that's not really the case. Sure, it is complicated, but that isn't what make sit an inexact science. It's inexact because it -cannot- be exact. It's based on notion of mental "healthiness: and "illness". The definition of which can vary greatly. We're not still in the 1800's wondering if mental illness is transmissible, and having psych wards filled to the brim with people we can't do anything about, and having to mask our failures in that endeavor.

Mental illness is a garbage concept that needs to be thrown out. We have better and more meaningful ways of interpreting functionality based on actual biology. Psychiatry is working from the other direction.

>to monitor your progress.
I realize this wasn't to me. But truly, do elaborate. Progress, from what? Progress, to what?

Have you ever actually known anyone with any sort of mental issue? You'd know goddamn well what progress really means.

By the way. Get a food allergy test, US Biotek is a decent lab. IgE, IgG, and IgA. Histamine is a modulatory neurotransmitter and could be potentiating your OCD symptoms.
>>
>>16596870
Virtually all the other fields of medicine other than psychiatry had practices which weren't evidence-based in the past as well. This changed, as the scientific method and evidence-based medicine became recognized as the only valid way to treat patients.

This doesn't mean that medicine is shit and doesn't work, you imbecile.
>>
>>16596883
Good thing the real fields dragged themselves slowly up to legitimacy, huh? not to say the rest of medicine does have problems, it is made of people after all.

Too bad about psychiatry. I let it speak for itself. It's fumbling around in the dark and net harmful. How this quackery got back on its feet to a point where everyone was wrapped right around its little fingers, I have little idea. Probably high stress lives and that old desire for the quick fix, even if it's not a good one.
>>
>>16596892
>I let it speak for itself. It's fumbling around in the dark and net harmful.

Nice argument you pulled out of your ass here. Oh, there's no argument here. Just an invalid assertion.
>>
>>16596905
You haven't provided anything substantial to respond to. I'm not really willing to argue about medicine as a whole in such an abstract sense.
>>
>>16596918
You haven't provided anything substantial to respond to the whole time.

And do you know what I really think? There's no point in arguing. Arguments don't matter - the empirical evidence does. And the empirical evidence, by definition, supports modern psychiatry, since it's evidence based. Any non-evidence based approaches are not modern psychiatry.

I really hope this democracy nonsense would go away and be replaced with a an authoritarian technocratic republic, so that people like you would be made to shut up with an iron fist, as not to harm others with their words. Pseudoscience which you spout harms others. For example, here, you're making the OP question their diagnosis and treatment.
I really hope AI develops and puts an end to this shit. Death to democracy.
>>
>>16596700
The voices are real
>>
>>16596944
>Arguments don't matter - the empirical evidence does.
I'd advise revisiting your understanding of empiricism, rather than stating the obvious.

>And the empirical evidence, by definition, supports modern psychiatry,
Tell me, what model of schizophrenia are you into? Dopamine theory? Think it's that pesky mesolimbic pathway, first and foremost? Or ar you more a glutamate upregulation guy. Think that pyramidal cell dysfunction is less of an ancillary effect, and more the prime cause. And then those other 3 or 4 major models.

Is it the sensory inputs themselves causing the delusions, or is it the interpretation of sensory input? Is it some failure of higher filtering? Gosh golly, all these dualisms and we just don't know...

>since it's evidence based.
If you call "it ain't actin' right relative to my perspective, goddamn it!" evidence. It's the lowest form of scientific rigor. The mechanism of action the majority of the most well studied and high used compounds even even well elucidated. It's a complex system, after all.

>Any non-evidence based approaches are not modern psychiatry.
Under your definition of "evidence" and intelligent controlling for error, there is no modern psychiatry.

>I really hope this democracy nonsense would go away
This we agree on. I just know the best, long term replacement. Delusional people (get it, that's supposed to hypocritical irony), such as yourself who are ignorant of the very fields you place faith in, need to be heavily suppressed. that's why I don't bother, it's just not feasible. But I agree that unintelligent and poorly informed people should not have a voice. This goes back to media, culture, and education.

>Pseudoscience
Psychiatry is, for the most part, a pseudoscience.

Look, bud. If you want to talk pharmacology, fine. Psychology? Fine. Philosophy, fine. Neurology, FINE. Just talk about -something-.
>>
>>16596972
I ran out of characters, but to add on, psychiatry is pseudoscience because its results are poorly repeatable. Its criteria is arbitrary ie, what you "should" be, and as yet, it's entirely failed to yield any real laws or dependable results. It's throw this into a chemical soup, see what happens. throw that in, see what happens. Oh it's probably doing this I guess...

It's black box testing. Reverse engineering (and calling that is being VERY generous) is typically not directly scientific in its fruits.

Medicine is a mess too. But at least they can say don't eat grapefruit with this medication because cytochrome p40, or which ever it is, is inhibited and your liver's tiny little machines won't work properly because high resolution spectroscopy and protein folding simulations indicate it nullifies this area here. Etc. Psychiatry does not do that kind of research, nor do they yield those kind of results.

I didn't come here to dick around with you and your little belief system. I just woke up on the floor after coming from from working 26 hours straight, and feel pretty "Where am I". There is nothing valuable for me here. I came to try to advise OP in their current dilemma, informed choices are the most important and are severely lacking even in the modern world.
>>
>>16596972
Fucking hell. I keep leaving out logical operators like don't, and isn't, and aren't.

Whatever. Good luck OP. I've already given my advice as well as possible. You are much of the boat, the water, and the sail. though not entirely the wind. I hope you find a way.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.