[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am currently in my final year of high school. Is becoming a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: star wars.jpg (85 KB, 700x370) Image search: [Google]
star wars.jpg
85 KB, 700x370
I am currently in my final year of high school. Is becoming a high school math teacher a good idea? I do like math and I think I will be ok with the idea of teaching high school students despite that some don't give a shit about their education.
>>
It's a great idea if that's what you get excited about. But I don't think that's the best attitude to have. Have you helped other kids with math? How do you feel about it? What's your favorite part about it?

Go to college, study math, and see where you go from there. You'll figure it out. I started off wanting to be a doctor, then a high school biology teacher, and now I'm working on my MD/PhD after realizing I loved biology so much I wanted to be a researcher and doctor.

This is coming from someone who also failed math, chemistry, and biology in high school.

I believe in you.
>>
>>16592513
My school organised these tutoring events. I took part in them and enjoyed them.
This is the question. I am from the UK and I can pick Medicine directly after high school. My parents want me to be a doctor instead of a maths teacher for obvious reasons.
>>
>>16592613
As someone who used to advice premed students, I got a lot of college sophomores coming to me depressed about how they really loved art of English but went premed because their parents wanted them to.

Just do what you want. It will be rough going against your parents at first but the fact that you are going to college, getting a degree, then being both happy and successful will speak volumes to them.

This is your life and your one life only. Do what you love. It's too short trying to make other people happy.
>>
>>16592627
As a Medicine student you say that? My parents pointed out teaching can be stressful too though with kids mucking around in class. And then a teacher also needs to do administrative work.
My parents also recommend Law, Engineering and Actuarial Science. They said I can always switch to become a teacher later on in my life. Is that a better option?
>>
>>16592632
I'm not sure how university works in the UK but here in the US you can still major in math and apply to medical school to become a doctor. Study whatever you enjoy. That way, it's easier to get good grades and go many places from there. This is what your first or second year of college is for, exploring. Because learning what you don't like can be just as important learning what you don't like.

Take a class on different subjects and you will figure it out. I started off studying film but realized I didn't like it then studied medicine. You have much more time and figuring out then what you might think at your age. Let yourself not be sure; you have years to sort it all out.
>>
>>16592637
You can study Medicine postgraduate in the UK too, but my parents pointed out there is no guarantee that I can get into postgrad Med school when I can do it undergrad.
My parents said it is a "waste" to become a maths teacher when I can become a doctor, and if I really do end up being a doctor/engineer/whatever, switching back to teaching is pointless.
>>
>>16592638
Did your parents go to college or have these careers? Switching back is not pointless. Getting academic/professional experience and college credits is not pointless.
>>
>>16592643
My parents are teachers themselves. They told me to pick Medicine, and if not, at least Engineering, Law, Actuarial Science, Pharmacy, or something along those lines.
As my dad said, switching to teaching if I do manage to find a doctoring/law/actuary/pharmacy/etc job is "retarded".
>>
Even if you decide to do postgrad medical school, it's better to have more schooling, experience, and practice with knowledge from college for whatever else training you pursue. And because you have additional college experience, it makes you a better candidate and more effective student to acquire the necessary training in medicine.

I don't mean to undermine your parents but I went to college, am in school to become a medical professor, was premed, and teach premed students. Academia is more flexible and not as rigid as you might think.
>>
>>16592646
You wouldn't switch. What I'm saying is that study what you enjoy and go from there. If you hated medicine, but didn't realize it until 4 years later, before you even get your degree, never finished, then yes you wasted a lot of time. But if you do something you genuinely love, you never wasted anytime.

Hope the best for you in your future. When you get there, you'll realize more what I mean. But if your parents are going to pay for all your college, by all means, do what they tell you.
>>
>>16592649
Ok thanks.
My parents are paying for university, but it's not as expensive as in the states. Really, I think I should just stick with Engineering or Actuarial Science or something like that and switch back to teaching math. As my parents pointed out, the stuff taught at uni will probably not be that different. Is it "retarded" of me to switch careers like that though? I've heard of engineers and lawyers who later switched to teaching.
>>
>>16592649
Also >Switching back is not pointless
contradicts with >You wouldn't switch
>>
>>16592656
I would like to specify that switching isn't pointless when it comes to studying a discipline in college.
However you wouldn't be "switching" if you choose a discipline then pursue postgraduate training in something else as undergraduate training is independent of that.
But this is just my knowledge of higher education systems in the US so perhaps my advice is only so useful to an extent.
>>
>>16592658
>I would like to specify that switching isn't pointless when it comes to studying a discipline in college.
So by switching you mean switching majors at uni?
>However you wouldn't be "switching" if you choose a discipline then pursue postgraduate training in something else as undergraduate training is independent of that.
I can become a high school math teacher with an engineering degree. I just need to get a posgrad certificate in teaching and that only takes a year.
My parents think switching from, say, an engineering job (if I do happen to get that job) to teaching is "retarded".
>>
bump again
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.