[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people pursue their interests for their careers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
Really all jobs are fundamentally the same (i.e. they become monotonous over time and there is stress). Why not find a job which pays more?
Also, /adv/ is a hypocrite. Everyone in >>16592175 is suggesting that OP not to pursue his interest for his career/degree!
>>
>/adv/ is a single entity
>>
>>16592295
The shitposting is real.
>>
>>16592297
Define shitposting and explain how it applies here
>>
>>16592297
I am not shitposting, geez.
Everyone responding to these threads said that it is ok to pursue their interests for their careers, yet this is not the case in other threads!
>>
>>16592315
Then do whatever the fuck you want to.
You've heard the arguments both for and against for each case.
You're an absolute retard and you deserve shit to rain upon you if you let randoms on a mongolian pillow imageboard tell you what to do with your life.
/adv/ should only help you see both pros and cons of the choices possible. The choice is yours to make.
>>
>>16592315
Lol you are not the person who posted that
>>
>>16592285
It seems to me as though you must have no real passions in your life if you think that.
>>
>>16592328
I am the person who posted that
>>16592325
I just don't get why /adv/ is so polar. Like in those threads "it is perfectly fine for people to pursue their interests" and yet in other threads it is like "do that as a hobby during your spare time"
>>
>>16592333
I am not alone. Read this >>>/trv/1061654
>>
some people like to have an interest/passion in what they do in their life. it's important to set realistic goals though, because no matter how much someone loves acting or vidya, the job market for those fields just isn't very favorable.
>>
How many times are we going to have this same thread?
>>
>>16592401
I am just pointing out how /adv/ is a hypocrite
>>
>>16592285
OP, please go away.

You began by posting this identical post once a week. Now you're doing it once a day.

I don't understand what emotional need this constant re-posting serves, but it is clear you are not legitimately looking for an answer, because you've gotten hundreds already.

Please find someplace else to work out your psychological obsessions.
>>
just because you keep remaking the same thread doesn't mean people will agree with you
>>
>>16592428
Nobody cares. Now go away.
>>
I think Neil degrasse Tyson said something along the lines of: you gotta find a job that the idea of vacation repulses you.

I love my job and it pays well. It's something I would do otherwise info wasn't getting paid for it: teaching and helping people. I'm just lucky I get a salary for it. Sure I could make more money, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?
>>
>>16592474
>>16592285

Same I picked a job that I enjoy and that also pays well.
>>
A lot of people don't understand what giving advice is. They think it means telling someone the right thing to do.
You can't know the right thing, you can just offer perspective and experience. You can think you know the right thing, but that means you think you know every single reaction their choice will have. You can tell someone "Well personally I'd do this" you cannot promise them "You will be happy if you listen to me."
>>
>>16592430
>>16592435
>>16592469
/adv/ contradicts itself. For example, in >>16592175 people tell OP to pursue Fine Art as a hobby not as his degree/career and in >>>/trv/1061654 people tell OP to pursue teaching as something he can do during his spare time as well.
>>16592474
Neil degrasse Tyson was one of the few scientists who was lucky and became famous. How many smart people who pursued a career in science got that lucky? What is your job btw?
>>
This kid has been at it for weeks and still doesn't get it. He seeks validation, and when he doesn't get it, he keeps posting the same thing over and over again. A classic case of a kid thinking he's super smart and has all of life figured out, wondering where his army of admirers is.
>>
>>16592495
People agree with me at >>16592175 and >>>/trv/1061654 too
>>
File: 1383096390_11.jpg.cf.jpg (36 KB, 399x542) Image search: [Google]
1383096390_11.jpg.cf.jpg
36 KB, 399x542
>>16592495
Can we start reporting him for spam? It's pretty bad at this point.
>>
>>16592496
So when some people agree with you it means they're right, when some people don't it means they're wrong. Either way you think you're right.
>>
>>16592500
What is your point then? If I am THAT wrong, everyone will disagree with me/no one will agree with me or say similar things as me!
>>16592498
I am not spamming. This thread is for pointing out how people on /adv/ is a hypocrite.
>>
>>16592503
This thread is you looking for validation, nothing more. You are not as smart as you think you are.
>>
>>16592510
Maybe. But still, if I am so wrong, people in those other threads will not say similar stuff about how OP can do those as a hobby.
>>
>>16592503
Do you believe in God? Because those are the answers you're looking for. If even one person agreed with you, you'd take that as evidence you're right. How many people believe the same thing doesn't count towards making it real, as comforting as it is to think so.
>>
>>16592516
I don't believe in God. Geez, a lot of people in that fine art thread will agree with me
>>
>>16592529
>How many people believe the same thing doesn't count towards making it real, as comforting as it is to think so.
You're being hypocritical if you don't believe in God. A lot of people agree he exists too.
>>
>>16592537
What does religion have to do with this? Tonnes of people do not believe in God too.
>>
this. fucking. thread. again.
>>
File: 1371795534803s.jpg (4 KB, 124x120) Image search: [Google]
1371795534803s.jpg
4 KB, 124x120
>>16592285
>>
>>16592652
Nah, this thread is for pointing out how people on /adv/ are hypocrites. Read >>16592489
>>
>>16592657
You've found the answer that /adv/ is a mixture of people of different backgrounds and environments around the world.

Congrats, how is this revelation going to be applied to your life?

You're that undergrad student who wants to do radiology or some bullshit right?
>>
>>16592661
Yeah.
So why does everyone in these threads think what I am saying is bullshit? People in those other threads all think OP can do his hobbies or whatever during his spare time and not as his career.
>>
>>16592665
I'm not sure what you're looking for dude,

Say you are right in this instance, what now? Why the constant need to rehash a topic/thread that's been replied to week in week out?

What are you looking for?

Are you hesistant of your own career choice? Or are you simply going through an existential crisis ?
>>
>>16592668
>Are you hesistant of your own career choice?
Maybe
>>
>>16592669
Well let's get to the bottom of this, seeing as I want this resolved so we don't have any more shit posting.

Are you worried that you're studying something, end up working in it only ot find yourself hating it?

From what I remember you did say radiology pays well in your country, so why the issue? If you're fixated on 'why dont people just work for money even if they hate the job' then I don't see why the 'guaranteed high salary' in your field would bring any kind of concern?
>>
>>16592672
Maybe. The job of doing that for 40 years kind of frightens me though but the money is good.
>>
>>16592675
Is the whole idea of doing it for 40 yrs what scares you?

Think of it this way, if you end up doing it for 40 years then there must be some redeemable qualities about the job that allows you to persist for so long. For example, you can be really good at the job and so it doesn't become 'work' as much or you like the societal contribution you make in this job.

If you do end up changing careers, so what? You tried something out, you have a bank of knowledge with a certain field, now you can move on and try something else.

I mean it's never a bad idea to learn, a lot of people change careers.

I'm a structural engineer and ideally I'd like to think I could work in this field for my whole life but if it doesn't turn out that way, I'm not too fussed.
>>
>>16592679
>a lot of people change careers
My parents point out there is no point to changing jobs though and that people who do are just romanticising a certain job too much. They know a friend who switched from a job in a bank to teaching in a primary school and then teaching preschool kids and now she doesn't have a full-time job. They said if I switch jobs, I will only end up like her and that it is dumb to give up a radiology job when it pays so well and the job is so stable.
>>
Fuck me dead, this shit should be obvious.

Make your interest your career, and your interest becomes nothing more than a job. All passion is gone.

I dreamed of the military since I was a kid. 5 years later, I'm over it. No fun, no adventure, nothing. It's precisely the reason also why I won't become a full time author.

>/adv/ is a single entity
Spotted the Reddit induced newfig.
>>
stop reposting this
>>
because they wanna
>>
>>16592285
it is their choice.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.