[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have courage and bravery /adv/? If so, where do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1440209381453.jpg (297 KB, 1500x1463) Image search: [Google]
1440209381453.jpg
297 KB, 1500x1463
Do you have courage and bravery /adv/?

If so, where do you draw it from?
>>
In spades.

It's called a soul.
>>
>>16587732

I guess. I don't really know what courage is. Btw courage and bravery are absolutely synonymous.

I don't know how "courage" is relevant to a person's everyday life. For example, you could say asking a girl out is courage, but really it's just common sense.

Or asking your boss for a raise is courage. In reality, it's just a risk assessment, etc.
>>
it depends on the context, really

but I work in a shelter that deals with a lot of PDDs (potentially dangerous dogs) who have a history of aggression. some mild, some that have ripped children's faces off or mauled people or killed livestock

I'm usually the one that handles them because Im just not that bothered by it. I've been severely bitten twice, a husky ripped my arm open and I almost needed surgery, the second was a German shepherd that put me on crutches for almost a week. But even still, I don't get too nervous handling them.

plus I'm not afraid to confront people bigger than me, but that probably comes from doing BJJ and kickboxing since I was a kid
>>
>>16587843

>I'm usually the one that handles them because Im just not that bothered by it. I've been severely bitten twice, a husky ripped my arm open and I almost needed surgery, the second was a German shepherd that put me on crutches for almost a week. But even still, I don't get too nervous handling them.

I guess that's more of a "physical courage" thing - you know, when you hear cucks being physically unable to do shit or getting shaky in a dangerous situation, etc. In reality though, I don't know if it's a matter of courage - you just make a decision to work with a dog that might bite your dick off. Like, does that really have anything to do with courage, or is it more related to your decision making. Not even making fun of you, genuinely curious what people think.

>plus I'm not afraid to confront people bigger than me, but that probably comes from doing BJJ and kickboxing since I was a kid

I don't think it's considered courage if there is no real threat, but people definitely perceive it as such.

For example, let's say I start a fight with 3 people at the bar. People around me will definitely think "Oh, that guy's got balls" etc. But if I am (hypothetically, no internet badass, plz no bully) a badass fighter and have trained all my life, there is little threat to me, so I am not actually being brave.

>ib4 knife
>ib4 ccw

Hypothetical.
>>
>>16587732
Sheer unbridled rage that's been building up because some asshole thinks he's hot shit and has been pushing me for about a month or so. Then I'll just snap and go full on. Otherwise (like if I'm out with my little brother and see sketchy looking people, pretty common where I live mostly teenagers my age) it's just instinct, I don't even feel much fear at the time I just stare them down so they know not to fuck with my little bro
>>
>>16587889
well, take into consideration that I'm a 5 foot 6 girl that weighs (about?) 130 lbs

and idk, I'm not really sure what you're asking. "courage" and "bravery" are sort of subjective terms. I just answered what my mind immediately went to

>does that really have anything to do with courage, or is it more related to your decision making
again, not sure what you're defining as courage or not. but I just know that I'm the best at dealing with dogs with severe aggression, so I have the least chance of getting bitten by that dog. hell, I get calls on my day off to come in to take certain PDDs out for potty breaks because I'm more willing to work with them. and even still, I'm not really afraid of being bit. a fatal attack or one to the face is pretty much the only thing I get afraid of when working with them, but that's almost impossible unless you don't know what you're doing

and for the second part, I'd say it still counts as bravery since you're still risking injury to yourself
>>
>>16587957

So, on unrelated note:

1. Is giving them an arm to munch pretty much standard procedure?
2. How do you get them off once they are shredding it? Military procedure is knife to gut after they are nomming on your arm. This brings up an interesting point - did you still try to protect the dog in the situations you described? How did you get it off?
>>
>>16587978
1/2

>Is giving them an arm to munch pretty much standard procedure?
it's basically do whatever you have to that prevents them from getting your face or closer to your body, especially the throat. the husky was going for my throat, so him getting my arm was the best outcome. it only happened because the newbie let him out of the animal control truck when we explicitly told him not to because he wasnt trained in handling aggressive dogs and since this one was a testosterone pumped monster. fucker got out and loose in our (thankfully fenced) staff parking lot and got me cornered. guy was fired the next day, obviously

>How do you get them off once they are shredding it? Military procedure is knife to gut after they are nomming on your arm
a coworker of mine got bit by a malamute pretty badly and sliced the dog's shoulder with her knife before we got there, which did thankfully get the dog to let go

but situations with attacks are one reason that we have hoses in every room and almost always accessible and you're never in the kennel by yourself. blast of water to the face works every time, it's how my coworker got the husky off of me. more effective too considering that causing them pain can occasionally just make them bite harder. but, again, its pretty much whatever you have to do, the dog's wellbeing is secondary to your own in these situations. if you need to kick the dog in the head to get them to let go, so be it. sounds harsh, but dog attacks are very serious. thankfully it's rare to get a dog who actually tries grabbing and shaking their head and not letting go. the most common is dog/dog fights, which can be broken up pretty easily usually. again, hoses definitely help
>>
>>16587978
2/2

>did you still try to protect the dog in the situations you described?
for the husky, not really. the background also played into it. he came from a 25 dog neglect case of a "husky breeder" that just locked two sibling huskies in a barn and let them inbreed like crazy, and selling the puppies as wolf hybrids to anyone stupid enough to believe it. the dog who attacked me was the main male, unsocialized, had a history of aggression, and needed such extreme behavioral rehabilitation that it wouldn't have even been safe sending him to foster or waiting to see if her calmed down after being neutered. plus husky owners are trash that would try to adopt him because "hurr wolfie meme breed" without even the faintest understanding of his issues. eithenasia was the only possible outcome in that situation

for the German Shepherd, it wasn't a case of actual aggression towards me. she's just dog reactive, and a volunteer didn't shut the kennel properly to another dog who is very dog aggressive, when I walked by with her the other dog got out and they started fighting. when I tried getting her away, she redirected and went for my leg. considering she's never shown aggression towards me aside from then, in a case like that, the dog can usually be rehabilitated. we're currently trying to find a GSD rescue to take her

>How did you get it off?
already said for the husky, but for the GSD I kinda jerked by body against the wall, which pinned her neck between my leg and the wall. it sort of snapped her out of it and she yelled, kinda gurgled, then let go. bought me enough time to shut the other dog into the kennel
>>
OP here, phone died so I kinda missed out on the thread.

I guess the definition I was going for was the ability to do an action/make a decision not necessarily where there is a threat but a definite fear of doing it.

Doing something that in it's action drives your heart rate up or a case where others would consider your inaction, cowardice I guess.

To the guy with PDDs, I guess if it doesn't actually instill fear in you that by the definition I'm thinking of, it isn't what I'm talking about.

Or maybe I have the wrong word.
>>
>>16587732
It gets REALLY easier after you achieve your first major goal. When you realize that despite all setbacks, wasting time, worries and failures, you did what you wanted to do. And you can do it again.
>>
I've never had my bravery tested before. I'd do anything for family though.
>>
I think courage has less to do with the actual action taking place, and more to do with the motivation behind the action. You know, the whole "courage is not the absence of fear, but the overcoming of fear", or whatever. If you're not scared or worried, then I don't really think courage per se, plays a role. Acting despite fear of being fucked up or being in an awkward situation, going against instincts of self preservation and comfort could be considered courageous. Where it places on the courage a scale depends on who you are internally
>>
>Do you have courage and bravery /adv/?
a little bit

>If so, where do you draw it from?
Once I make enough money to afford trips to Vegas brothels, I will finally get laid.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.