[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do I do when I fail a course because an instructor didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
What do I do when I fail a course because an instructor didn't do their job and update my grades?

I was riding just under what is required for a C because I missed an essay. I asked if I could turn it in late and was given permission. All of our work is submitted online to scan for plagiarism and I'm able to see every grade I have received. I had a 0 from not turning it in, but once I submitted the work it says that it requires grading and hasn't changed since. It has been this way since I have submitted it around a week ago and now I have received my grades for everything I've taken this semester and was not given any credit for the essay making my grade a D. I don't know if it's even possible to have the grade changed at this point. I'll have to retake the class.

Is there anything I can do about this? I was thinking of sending the instructor an email, but I don't want to be too confrontational. What should I say?
>>
This is a problem you need to solve by going to the instructor and explaining your agreement and present situation in person.

Do it now.
>>
You should have talked to (or at least contacted) your professor on the day of your final exam. Your grade is usually locked in within a couple days at that point. Not having seen the mark for your essay posted by then would have been a big concern.

You need to ask whether your grade reflects your essay because you hadn't seen the credit for it posted by the time that your final grade was calculated. If there was an error, you then need to ask both the professor and the dean of students if there's time yet for the amended grade to be put into the system. If there isn't, you need to keep contacting the dean about ways to resolve the issue other than retaking the class.
>>
About to send this in an email:

"Were the late essays I submitted included in my final grade?"

You think that's good enough for now?
>>
>>16579677
You should elaborate as to why you're asking, namely that you didn't see the essays...

wait, essays? I thought you said you missed "an essay." Now there are multiples?
>>
>>16579594

You should have talked to her before the semester ended, but yes, if the semester hasn't been over for too long you can contact her.

Did you turn it in within the agreed upon time frame? Like you didn't say "oh I forgot, I'll turn it in this week" and then turned it in 2 weeks later? That would mean you're shit out of luck, but if she said you could turn it in and you turned it in promptly then you should e-mail her.

It doesn't need to be confrontational. Just explain to her that you thought you could still turn it in, and you are confused about why it wasn't counted towards your grade.
>>
Grades are rarely locked in. I've had them changed months after the fact (if it was a clear mistake.) Contact him, now.
>>
>>16579687
>>16579677

If it was more than one essay then I wouldn't be surprised if the points she took off for being late were enough to not get you up to a C.

You should obviously stay on top of your shit and not be on the verge of a C.
>>
>>16579687
Meant to say essay.

How do I ask that without sounding accusatory?

>>16579694
There wasn't an agreed upon time, but I did turn it in four days after.

>>16579702
I'm autistic af and putting things into words that a class like that requires is very hard for me.
>>
>>16579719
How would "I didn't see them" sound accusatory? You're talking about your eyes.

"You didn't post them" is accusatory. It's also not what I suggested.
>>
>>16579719

I'm sincerely sorry that you have issues that affect your learning. However, you know these things about yourself and need to plan and prepare for school in ways that will make you successful. That means starting an essay assignment the day that you receive it, and not procrastinating and working on it last minute to where you can't finish.

Life will not accept excuses like "I'm autistic af so I didn't meet the requirements of what was asked of me". You need to learn to work through these issues if you want to be successful in life. Some teachers will be understanding, but they will become less understanding as you move forward in school, and most employers won't be understanding at all.
>>
>>16579739
Actually to be fair life might accept those excuses. If he's got a disability which puts him in a protected class in his country, he'd have to be given accommodations at work (if he slips past the hiring process) or even be eligible for disability money. They call it "autism bux" for a reason.

Hooray for survival of the fittest getting a cock up its ass.
>>
>>16579748

I doubt OP is truly autistic. you're right that autism bux are a thing for people who have trouble functioning.

However, there are very few employers who will deal with people who can't make deadlines, who make excuses, and can't do the minimum requirements of things that were agreed upon ahead of time. Sure, you can have poor social skills and work in computer science or whatever, but not being able to complete the tasks you say you will complete is a dealbreaker for any employer.
>>
>>16579778
Very few employers would willingly hire someone like that, but laws like the ADA are hardly a "deal" which they can break. If an extra four days is a possible accommodation that a company can afford an employee with autism, they would have to do that or face a protracted lawsuit arguing the legitimate needs of a person with that disability.

You're right about not being able to do the job at all (when comparable alternative positions are not available at the company) but "eventually" is something lots of people get away with.
>>
>>16579819
>Extra 4 hours
>OP turns essay in 4 days after acknowledging essay is late

you are greatly overestimating OPs competence and future abilities
>>
You should've been responsible and keep things In check. I was taking 5 classes and I was swamped with work. Just do your work and do everything possible to keep your grade up. Should've contacted your teachers too. Just call/email/visit your teacher, I'm sure the semester isn't really over yet until sunday(?) there are still some classes to be held and I'm sure your teacher is sill grading finals.
>>
>>16579877
Where did I write "hours?" I'm not seeing it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.