[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Marriage vs Domestic Partnership
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: CartoonHouse3.gif (18 KB, 490x321) Image search: [Google]
CartoonHouse3.gif
18 KB, 490x321
I've been seeing a really great girl for a few months now. Recently, we were just shooting the shit and we came upon the topic of controversial opinions we both might hold. Hers happened to be that she doesn't believe in marriage, and that she doesn't feel like a piece of paper should legitimize a relationship. I asked what alternative she was envisioning and she said that a domestic partnership offers essentially the same benefits after living together for years. Now, my understanding is that marriage provides many legal benefits that a partnership does not. Mainly, partnerships are not recognized universally. I don't know what to do because I really like her, but marriage has always been an end goal in the back of my mind. I'm also 24 so I feel a bit dumb worrying about it right now.
>>
Don't fall for the marriage trap unless she is much more wealthy than you are.
It will ruin your life in the near future.

Unless of course you live in some country where things like marriage are still respected then go on ahead and keep pushing for that.
>>
Look up a Biblical marriage. No legal documentation required, but you are still molded as one soul, one flesh, that will be more than capable of raising a child with utmost care.
>>
>>16579259

She doesn't want anything serious with you keep her as FWB if you are ok with it or dump her.

I've already saw girls who said that they didn't believe in love crying for Chad cuz he P&D them, i think its bullshit in the same way.
>>
>>16579259
I'm exactly like your girlfriend.

Also, what are the local common law marriages where you live? For example, in California, even if my boyfriend and I live together for years, we won't be legally married under common law. However, in other states and counties this is different. It's good to know.
>>
>>16579320
I can understand this misconception, but not wanting the legal aspect of marriage doesn't mean they don't want everything else a traditional marriage entails or that they don't believe in love, commitment, or monogamy. Especially women who usually aren't the breadwinner and are favored in family court.
>>
>>16579259
60+ years of studies all confirm: living together is inferior to actual marriage.
People who cohabit are more likely to break up and if they marry later, more likely to divorce
They don't make as much money as married couples
They aren't as healthy as married couple
etc.
>>
>>16579363

Do you have any references for these studies? And do you think that those statistics could be due to the fact that people who don't want to get married are just less likely to commit?
>>
>>16579363
I agree 100%. Marriage isn't just a piece of paper. You are legally binding yourself to another person. Your home, possessions, and bank account will be (should be) in both of your names. You will share everything. Marriage = commitment.
Besides, you can just break up with a girlfriend any time you want, marriage is harder to get out of.
>>
>>16579259

>been seein a girl for 3 months
>talk about marriage

Fuck me sideways.
>>
>>16579470

We're not "talking about marriage", read the post. We happened to be talking about controversial opinions, and hers is that she doesn't think traditional marriage is worth it.
>>
Another bump
>>
>>16579470

Also, why would you not want to know this as soon as possible? I would be fucking devastated if I dated someone for a year or two and then found out they never wanted to get married. If that's something I want in life, it makes no sense for me to pursue someone that doesn't, just like I shouldn't date a polyamorous person if I want monogamy
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.