[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uni advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: sp1-100065951-orig.jpg (161 KB, 2133x1200) Image search: [Google]
sp1-100065951-orig.jpg
161 KB, 2133x1200
In high school, I topped philosophy and history, but nothing else. I do not think I should study these majors at a university level, because they are poor majors. What should I study instead? I excel in "extended written expression involving complex analysis and synthesis of ideas" according to my exam results.
>>
Library science
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_science
>>
well I think the more important question is what do you want to do?
>>
>>16578636
Do you know of a major combining library science (accredited by ALA) but that also covers a fair bit of computer science? I like both and don't want to just do CS as it's not ALA accredited.
>>
>>16578629
study something that could land you a job where you WOULDNT have a sub-par experience during the 30 or so hours you put into work nearly every fucking week of your life
>>
>>16578674
Just out of curiosity, how do you define that? Tons of people say "follow the money so you can retire faster" and tons of people say "follow your passions because most people don't get to retire at 45 and you'll be spending most of your life working".

A tiny minority of people say "get a job you hate and do it your whole life because work isn't supposed to be fun", and I think they're idiots.
>>
>>16578682

oh i hear you, and i think it always come off as cliche because people don't know how else to explain it. and work may be hard, but it can be interesting. it may not be hard physically or mentally though, it depends on the job. it should interest you and you should enjoy working on it. do you enjoy coding? do that. would you enjoy coding for a company? maybe not. then you'd have to get creative. i've personally got a long road ahead of me because i like graphic design but all my passion drains when it's for a client - which i realized before i bothered finishing my studies so i gave up on the major. should have stuck with it so i could try and work my way through seeing about freelance, maybe just designing posters or shit for shirts. i would enjoy that... and sorry for talking about myself, i didnt know how to not sound so empty without my personal example
>>
File: slide-show-fossil-rose.jpg (404 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
slide-show-fossil-rose.jpg
404 KB, 650x488
>>16578636
Save the Library Science for your Master's degree.
>>
>>16578629
Do you have to decide your major before even entering college?
>>
>>16578629
You have to think in terms of skills, not subjects.

What subject you study in uni is less important than what skills you bring to an employer.

Your reading/understanding/analyzing/communicating skills can be applied to almost any sort of business or profession, from selling to law.

If that's your aptitude, and you like doing research and analysis, and combining things into your own new ideas - that's exactly the sort of thing you would do in uni-level philosophy or history (or English) classes. And that's exactly what an employer would want in a job candidate.

Look at it this way - everyone you know, and his brother, is being told they have to study STEM to get a job. In 4 or 5 years the job market will be flooded with STEM mjaors, and just maybe the guy who can read, analyse data and write well might be what's wanted.
>>
Here's the thing OP.
You aren't gonna make it 4 years doing a "good degree" if you hate it. Most of which is in markets oversaturated as fuck and you will be beat for every fucking job by people who actually enjoy the subject matter. If you like history and phil major in one or both.

Try more social sciences maybe as there is a bettet selection at uni. But just realize a BA is a BA, so even if you cant get a job in either field you still are much better off.
>>
File: takeitall.jpg (12 KB, 250x322) Image search: [Google]
takeitall.jpg
12 KB, 250x322
>>16578629
That's bullshit. If you're gonna be paying for and dedicating 3+ years of your life to college, then choose something that's actually intellectually challenging and practically useful.

So ditch the humanities and social sciences, those majors are mostly there to make dumb people feel smart and take their tuition cash. Pick something in science, engineering, math or just good old medicine. Maybe law is okay too, if you're into that.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.