[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ever since I was a child, I always wanted to persue game design.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: images (2).jpg (47 KB, 508x289) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
47 KB, 508x289
Ever since I was a child, I always wanted to persue game design. Kojima always served me as an inspiration/role model and I wanted to walk into his footsteps.

But here's the problem, I'm from India.

I have always struggled to convince people that I didn't want a mainstream job. I always wanted a job which is different from others. Unique. They said no. Money.

I'm starting to see from their perspective, and in many ways, they are right.

India just doesn't have that market. I mean, the country has mobile games, but I don't want to work for Konami, you know why.

I don't know where to go, what to education to pursue for. I can't go a game design school, because there isn't any!

My future path is in the dark side, I need some light. I don't know what to pursue!
>>
File: 137957_2_f.jpg (58 KB, 299x284) Image search: [Google]
137957_2_f.jpg
58 KB, 299x284
>>16577498
Kojima mayumi makes great music, I'm surprised you're such a fan!

as for gayms, you can do it but ask yourself: can you push your limits far enough? Can you study game theory, what entertains people? Can you spot trends in popular culture, even predict them? Can you network and sell yourself to a wide range of people? Programming is easy and you don't have to obsess over super efficient algorithms, modern electronics deal with shit code OK. But creating a story and gameplay and putting together the right team or finding a position to be in the right team, that takes social engineering.

Unless you wanna code monkey, you can do that for free at home, there's plenty of tutorials online.
>>
>>16577498
>I don't know where to go, what to education to pursue for. I can't go a game design school, because there isn't any!

You have the internet and the ability to read and type.
Literally the largest library of information ever gathered that, these days, can literally fit in your pocket (and is shamefully used moreso for fapping than anything else, but still...).

I get the feeling that you're just making excuses.

>But here's the problem, I'm from India.
Literally TECH SUPPORT, the country. How can you not get into computer stuff?

Here's what you do, look online about 3d, animation and programming. Learn, practise and do. Multi-skilled.

Start creating a portfolio and do some freelance shit to build a rep.

Use the rep to save up and immigrate, and well as possibly secure more stable jobs in other countries.

Stop making excuses, games design is like any other job that anyone would want - it's a grind, full of hard work (despite the reputation). You want it, work for it.
>>
>>16577534
Tech support!=game design. You're literary comparing ludology in to some kind techno babble. I know there is some techno babble in game design, but there is techno part of the design is here not the design part.

As with website tutorials, I want something physical, tangible. Certificate, diploma. If everything could have been achieved through 'tutorials' then I can pursue quantum physics through 'tutorials'. Who needs Howard?
>>
>>16577569
And I am looking for it. Asking around is I think is 'looking for it.'
>>
>>16577569
>I want something physical, tangible. Certificate, diploma.

I said it in my post.

PORTFOLIO.

What good is a little piece of paper if you have no original work of your own to even show for it?

The sole benefit of the games industry, is that there is actually less reliance on papers, and more about what you can actually do. There is alot less office politics involved.

>If everything could have been achieved through 'tutorials' then I can pursue quantum physics through 'tutorials'. Who needs Howard?

My point exactly. Largest library of information ever created, at our fingertips. At this point I'm convince universities are simply litmus tests for the stupid and gullible.

>I know there is some techno babble in game design, but there is techno part of the design is here not the design part.

Again, multi-skilled is your friend. Understand the tech and the design, and the graphics, and you've got a better shot.

Stop making excuses.
>>
>>16577599
I'm still not convinced in the second question. If you'll know how education system works in my country, you'll realize it's much more bureaucratic. Companies, here ask everything. Even if join a tech company here, you'll need a CV that covers from academic to professional achievements. If you are not from a reputed college, they will reject you straight on mate. They want names 'VIT' or 'BITS' or 'IITS'. Otherwise they won't accept you as an intern. You're life is ruined, like Mad Max movie or something
>>
>>16577634

Freelance over the internet. That's where you'll build your reputation and a portfolio.

Then you get to move to a decent country.
Nothin' against you, just your country in general is a pretty nasty fuckin' place.
>>
>>16577642
Please, elaborate.
>>
>>16577642
And yes, India is a shit country. Homosexuals are legal here for fuck's sake!
>>
Hi OP. Game devleoper for an AAA company here.

You don't need to work for a company to make a game or feed that passion.

With Steam almost anyone can self-publish their own game. You have the internet, you can learn to make your own games.

This would be the best way for you to go, since India isnt a big dev scene.

You need to go indie, or move out of the country.

Also, dont focus too much on "being like kojima", focus on finding your own talent and feeding that talent.

Being a creative director is 30% creativity and 70% fighting with people
>>
>>16577642
*illegal
>>
>>16577642
Can't edit posts here it seems
>>
>>16577653
I understand being AAA is difficult, with microtransactions, cram time, etc. but unless I'm tobyfox, I literary need the work experience.
>>
>>16577651

Well, first the board /3/ can help you practise 3D artwork.
YouTube tutorials can teach you to draw (you can literally look up ART FORUMS or some shit to find a community) in order to create artwork for games.
There is literally hundreds of video's and sites specifically for programming.

Practise first, multiple skills. Then reach out to online communities. I think blender has an assets store kinda thing, where you can sell your 3D work.

>>16577653
As this guy said, steam is good for indie developers. So it putting a small, cheap indie game on the IOS or android, if you're willing to put the time in. A full, on-sale game is a great thing to add to your portfolio because it definitely shows multi-skilled, goal orientated personality.
Furthermore, the maths alone would suggest a full game is better than any school paper - more people have diplomas than have made entire games and sold them. Technically, it makes you the more valuable commodity.

Freelance working, selling assets - that can help you get references.
From there, you want to email various companies and see if they have positions.

It's 80% grind, 30% putting your stuff out there - BUT BOTH ARE NECESSARY. You can't just do one and not the other.
>>
Is there anyway I can learn something about modding? I heard it's a good way to start.
>>
>>16577498
POO IN LOO
MANUFACTURE AND DISTRIBUTE LOO
SELL FOR MANY RUPEES
USE RUPEES TO FUND CREATION OF POO IN LOO: THE OP SAGA
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.