[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have I figured out how to cheat the system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 225x225
if you graduate from community college, no one cares about your high school grades right?

I have a plan

>be me
>be 2 weeks before start of 10th grade
>decide to sign up for a class per season at local community college
>stop trying in high school so i can do well in community college class
>Decide to take one 4 credit class per season
>get A's or B's in all of them
> teachers at high school complain about my shitty work. fuck them
>comes time to graduate high school
>graduate high school with 70 average
>people laugh when i tell them i'm planning to go to real college, not fake college
>no one knows that I've already accumulated 32 credits at local community college and i have a 3.7 GPA there
>apply to ivy league and get in

Will this work? Have I figured out how to cheat the system?
>>
>>16575100
you didn't cheat anything, you just started the race early
>>
Depending on where you live, CCs may require a high school diploma
>>
>>16575106
way easier than taking AP classes tho, amirite
>>
>>16575100
Here's an even crazier idea. Take the classes at the community college. Tell no one about it, don't use any federal loans or grants to finance it.

Then, when you go to university, retake the classes and get 4.0, impress professors, get letters of rec.
>>
>>16575100

It will most likely be dual enrollment. So your high school will count your college courses as meeting the requirements to graduate. You'll end up graduating early. You can get by with a few periods of class at your high school each day and a class or two at your CC. Don't go to an Ivy League and sink yourself in student loans.
>>
>>16575100
Professor writing here.

In theory your plan makes some sense. But there are a number of practical obstacles.

1. While the CC may let you take random classes while still in HS, they probably require a HS diploma for entry into a degree program, and might not give credit for courses taken before that.

2. CC degree, even with a good GPA, does not guarantee acceptance to a top-tier university. In some states an in-state AA does guarantee transfer to one of the State Uni campuses.

3. You are assuming that you can do brilliantly in CC while barely passing in HS, which seems unlikely.
>>
Doing well in high school has more value because of scholarship potential. I would rather have cheap college than finish early.
>>
>>16575301
Hey professor, not OP but I noticed I have like 3 testicles in my nutsack and the new one is on the left side connected to the left ball. I looked it up and google said it's basically a big clogged sperm vain or something. And my friend said he had the same thing and went to the doctor and the doctor said the same thing as google. But should I go to a doctor to make sure it's not cancerous or anything? This isnt a joke I actually have two left nuts.
>>
>>16575321
>writing professor

but yes, you should go to the doctor.
>>
>>16575301
This isn't really true. I had a 4.0 GPA High School, 4.0 GPA AA degree straight out of High School at age 17. Harvard considered accepting me but ended up rejecting. University of Chicago was the only one that did in the end. Even with consistent high grades, they are usually looking for more. Grades and degrees aren't enough. You need extra-curricular, volunteering and much more to get accepted into some of the better schools.

Also, your advice #3 is something most people expect. My brother failed a class in CC he already took because the instructing is so loose in CC that mistakes that instructors make are taken out on you. Be very careful with every move you make in CC. It's much more difficult than Uni because it's somewhat standardized in Uni. I had instructors giving me quizzes on material we learned 10 minutes past with no prior notification.
>>
>>16575332
>not a scrotum professor
Can you give me tips on writing?
>>
>>16575100
I have a feeling u r trolling, bro.

You can accumulate credits toward a college degree in high school by taking AP classes and passing the AP exams at the end of the semester.

Also, forget about Ivy League schools. The curriculums in decent public schools will be exactly the same.

When an employer is looking at you, they're asking if you can be an asset to their business, and you need to understand what being an asset is. It is not being an Ivy League grad. It's more about being a hard working, skilled, thoughtful, honest and nice to others, etc. person.

Ivy League schools allegedly screen their students for the same qualities. So, when an employer sees an Ivy League on your resume, it's a safer bet for him that you're an asset because you have been pre-screened, but that advantage is NOT AT ALL worth the tuition of any reputable expensive school, because 1) if you're a good person, it'll come across in about a minute of an interview anyway, which you will get anyway, and 2) after the first couple jobs, it's all about experience.
>>
>>16575339
>>16575339

Not a professor, but yes.

Forget everything you learned about writing.

From now on, writing is about sharing one of your ideas, and in your writing you want to do everything possible to make sure that your idea has been reproduced onto the paper such that

a) other people can understand the idea as easily as possible.
b) readers can see how you came to the idea, and can see and follow your complete thought process as easily as possible.
c) the ideas and thought processes appeal to your readers by making sense.

The trouble, though, is that you kinda have to be genuinely intelligent and care a lot about expressing yourself to pull off these things, because you need to figure out how to make A and B as easy as possible for your readers, and you need to be able to build appealing, sensible ideas in the first place.

For those who can pull it off, writing is a joy, but still an exhausting challenge when you're writing about an important topic (such as "how to write"). Note that school papers aren't challenges. They're generally pretty straight forward and serve as good practice.

Anyway, you'll know if you're on the right track if you ever reach a point where you are constantly editing everything you write.
>>
>>16575100
At my high school they have a program called Running Start where you are enrolled at the nearest community college and you do a few classes equivalent your HS classes but after that you are free to do whatever you like.

I finished my associates in business at the same time I graduated high school, shit was way easier and I slept waayyy more.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.