[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 23 and about to graduate college with a degree in psychology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: white women found.png (468 KB, 775x434) Image search: [Google]
white women found.png
468 KB, 775x434
I'm 23 and about to graduate college with a degree in psychology and a 2.5 GPA. I have no practical skills. I have Asperger's and have had pretty severe depression and anxiety since I got to college. I've never had a girlfriend and have only slept with two women, only one of which I was attracted to. (that was a few weeks ago)

What should I do? I really want to live a fulfilling life but I'm worried I'm fucked. The only flipside is that my parents are somewhat rich and I have no student debt, I'm thinking of getting an associate's degree so I can get good enough at something to get a job.

What should I do?
>>
You mean a Master's degree, right?
>>
>>16567707
Nope, an associates. There's no way I can get into grad school with my GPA, as far as I know. I just want to learn a skill I can get really good at so I can find a career that way
>>
>>16567722
>as far as I know

They care much more about your GRE score. Have you taken it?
>>
>>16567698
1). Why is your gpa so bad?
2). Why would your associate's look better?
>>
>>16567737
Just about every school I looked at says they require a GPA of 3.0 or higher
>>
>>16567755
I was in computer science for three semesters, which I failed out of, and after that I spent the rest of my college depressed. I had no good friends until my last year of college and I spent a long time convinced I was a worthless retard who will never be able to succeed. I'd rather find a job where they pay me to do a skill I'm good at and I feel like a two-year associate's program would work well for that.
>>
>>16567757
They say a lot of things. Anyway, you can take classes "post-bacc" to improve your GPA.
>>
I'm sorry son but your gpa is trash, psychology is a useless degree (in general, if you're not passionate about it and actively work towards it), and an Associates degree is just as helpful as a high school diploma. Either go back and apply yourself, find a trade and go to a technical college, or find something you love and do it
>>
>>16567768
It's an option I'll always leave open (my mom got her master's when she was 50) but right now I'd just like to get a job where I can make a decent amount of money as soon as I can. Like I said I have just about no life skills and I'm worried I'll be working a shitty job living alone forever.

Also, I honestly don't really want to go to grad school, I'm from a very academic family and that isn't something that appeals to me.
>>
>>16567777
Oooh, quads!
>>
>>16567767
Do you think if you took more classes you would do well, or would you end up in two years with an AA and another 2.5 gpa?
If the former, maybe don't graduate and try to find another 4 year school to transfer to, resetting your gpa.
>>
>>16567776
>your gpa is trash, psychology is a useless degree

I agree

>find a trade and go to a technical college

What advantage does this give over, for example, an associate's degree in some sort of engineering technology?
>>
File: Top_All.png (1 MB, 1381x1187) Image search: [Google]
Top_All.png
1 MB, 1381x1187
>>16567777
Have you considered doing that thing where you teach English in Japan for a couple of years? I hear they prefer people with degrees other than English or Education.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JET_Programme
>>
>>16567786
I've been in school for five years so changing my GPA would be difficult and I don't want to work in psychology
>>
>>16567800
They look at the trend in the GPA. If it is upwards then they may admit you.
>>
Don't bother with an associates degree, I don't think it would really help to be honest. I would instead go for a trade school. What are you interested in, and what is your mania?
>>
>>16567900
What are the advantages of trade school over an associate's degree? Right now I'm thinking of going into IT, I like computers but I'm not any good at programming. Is it possible to get a job in that with no bachelor's? I'm up for doing anything, I just don't want to be stuck working shitty jobs for the rest of my life.
>>
>>16567698
O.K. All the shitposting is used up and we can get to some practical advice.

Make some broad decisions about what sort of work you'd like to do. Office or manual labor? Dealing with public or not? Related to your studies or not? Primary goal money or job satisfaction? And so on.

When you've got a list like that, make a new list of the types of jobs or professions that meet your criteria.

Then research each one. What is it really like? What are the job prospects? Does it require more school or training? Are there companies in your area in this field? And so on.

Only then will you have a sense of what you'd like to do, and can begin job hunting.

In the meantime, ANY job doing anything will buy your food and help you build up confidence.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.