[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have 1 week to write a personal speech that I'm going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1449729157915.jpg (105 KB, 610x577) Image search: [Google]
1449729157915.jpg
105 KB, 610x577
I have 1 week to write a personal speech that I'm going to give in front of an audience of hundreds and not sound like a total autist while Im doing it.

What's some good /adv/ice.
>>
First of all, make that speech flow so that it can be presented smoothly. You really don't want to stand in front of a speech that sounds like it was written by an autistic 10 year old. Make sure you have your basic structure of a speech and that everything is displayed clearly so people understand the point of your speech. Now, once you have written it, be sure to memorize it from start to end! I've memorized 1k essays in about 3 days with pure dedication so just follow this. Read it 3 times out loud to yourself at least in 3 periods of the day (morning, afternoon, right before you sleep) If you can, write it out a couple times. However, if this is a essay that you can read from the script then I guess there is no point of you memorising it from heart but I still recommend you memorise your main points, etc so you're not looking at your script the entire duration. Don't fidget, don't think of the people in front of you, only focus on your personal speech and how you will do a great job presenting it. Be confident with yourself and the speech. Try not to make direct eye contact because that might cause you to be more nervous then you have to so instead aim for just above everyone's head. Sleep well before the day of the presentation too! I wish you luck with it all. If you need any help with your essay, I'd be happy to proofread.
>>
File: gladiator-helmet-2000-t1.jpg (48 KB, 626x589) Image search: [Google]
gladiator-helmet-2000-t1.jpg
48 KB, 626x589
>>16567383
Thanks for the advice anon
It has to be a memorized speech from "personal experience", I had already written down a draft but was rejected because it didn't have a good topic.

I can't seem to find a good balance between something that doesn't sound too whiny or depressing and still connects with the audience, any suggestions, anon?
>>
That's fine OP. Oh okay, then be sure to memorise it very well, and if you do mess up just be sure to improvise.
Ohh, I see. It is quite hard to find a capturing topic without it sounding too depressing.
Hmm... well may I know what your first topic was about?
>>
>>16567453
my first topic was about how many different paths to success there are in life, but it came off as just someone whining they aren't successful and was "too generalized".
>>
Did they recommend you take a different approach to it or just change the topic completely?
You could write about how all your past memories, events, failures, successes etc affect and mould the person that you are today, who is standing in front of all these people presenting this speech. You just have to try and mix and match the emotions and try steer clear of sounding too generic and emotional.There is a lot of personal topic you can write abou desu. You can write about how you found your passion, or something along those lines. There are endless possibilities.
>>
File: 1412982336192.jpg (37 KB, 437x447) Image search: [Google]
1412982336192.jpg
37 KB, 437x447
>>16567531
How do I relate to the audience when its a personal story, anon?

One idea I had in mind was how the death of a family member has affected me, but what comes into mind is "Who cares" and how I'm supposed to make something relateable out of it.

And that's one of the topics I really want to talk about.
>>
>>16567550
Well, that really is how you do it. You have to be revealing with your personal stories, but in such a way that the audience will understand where you are coming from. Be sure to include the audience. So, if you do the death of a family member then a large portion of the audience should be able to understand because almost everyone has had to deal with the loss of a loved one which most likely has affected them mentally. There shouldn't be a "who cares" mentality because this is a very deep topic that everyone should connect to at some degree. Most audiences would rather hear a story than a bunch of information, so wrap some of your points with a short story that is relevant to the topic. It all depends on how you deliver the speech and if you do it with enough emotion. Do not over excess the emotional factor or you'll look like you're just trying to get a sympathetic reaction. if you choose to do the death of a family member, then be sure to choose the most significant event and mobilise it in a way you know that the audience will react to through understanding.
>>
>>16567550
Oh, and rhetorical questions are a good way to evoke emotion from the audience ;)
>>
>>16567582
So how's this for a topic, the death of a family member has forced me to live a sheltered life where everyone expects me to be perfect.

Think that's relateable, anon?
>>
To be honest, not exactly a very vast topic that everyone would relate to. It feels to specific. But, if you think you can write it in a way where people can relate to it then I say go for it because it seems like it would be quite interesting!
>>
>>16567641
Thanks anon I'll work on it.
If you have any other advice it'd be great to hear.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.