[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to be a director. I'm a young female living in a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: images-201.jpg (16 KB, 336x438) Image search: [Google]
images-201.jpg
16 KB, 336x438
I want to be a director. I'm a young female living in a middle class family in Australia. I'll soon have a good camera and stuff but in all honesty, I need a guide. I have no FuCkIng idea where to start. Im passionate af about movies, so I have an understanding on cinematograohy, screenplay, etc plus I do Film in school, but dat shit is basic. Like should I start a YouTube channel to get my name out there or someshit? I really want to get started early too but yeh idk THIS ALL SOUNDS UNREALISTIC U KNOW getting successful and shit but fuck it. I'm anyways still gonna go uni so I dont dissapoint my wog parents lol but yeah I'm just confused at this point so I probably sound retarded. thx
>>
>>16567026
Film class is basic because you need to start with basic shit. Emulate everything you learn and put it onto film. Learn how shots and lighting work, then do them yourself; record them, watch them, and then do them better. Apply to be a grip or gaffer if anyone is hiring for that near you.
>>
>>16567032
Yeah, everything I learn I find ways to apply to the situation so I know I'll be able to grasp all those basics and use them accordingly. I'll have to do some searching for opportunities around my area but like in the meantime to become a name I've gotta get my name OUT so how should I approach that?
>>
>>16567055
Im in a similar situation. Except i dont really want to go to film school.

The common thing i hear from other people is anyway you can really. Film festivals, social networking sites or forums where you can meet people of similar interests, write screenplays and get people to look at them, etc. The more the better. You may meet someone who may look at something you have and hand it over to a friend who happens to be an agent or producer or director. You never know.
>>
Yeah, I'm not going to go to film school either. I just do it as one of my subjects in high school.
True that. I've just gotta open up my possibilities by meeting more people. I have a person currently helping me with the equipment, I just need people who are directly involved in the film industry. I wish you luck with your film career though, honestly hope you do well!
>>
>>16567264
woops meant for u
>>
>>16567339
>>16567344
Thanks! I wish you luck as well.
>>
>>16567026
1. Make movies with your friends. Lots of them. Recognize that they will be lousy, but you're learning. Make some more.

2. If you make one that doesn't make you puke, submit it to any and every student film festival you can find. If you actually get in, spend the money to go to the fest and meet other filmmakers.

3. Take some film courses. Not to develop your talent, but to learn technique and to make contacts.
>>
>>16568374
Thanks for the advice anon! I will definitely make a lot of little movies. By film courses, do you mean fr3e online ones?
>>
File: EWgkJjP.jpg (74 KB, 480x615) Image search: [Google]
EWgkJjP.jpg
74 KB, 480x615
>find other 18 year old femanon
>make lesbian pr0n
>post here
>we rate
>...
>DIRECTOR EXPERIENCE!!!
do it
>>
>>16568386
Fuuuuuckkkkk yeaaa wanna be the cinematographer?
>>
go to film school you stupid bitch
>>
>>16568382
>By film courses, do you mean fr3e online ones?
you know they don't mean that.
>>
>>16567339
You need to be 18+ to poat on this site mate. And go to film school / study it in uni. Its the best way for you to make a career from film (being a director)
>>
>>16568453
u have 1 brain cell fuck outta here boy
>>
>>16568455
crying irl coz im poor

>>16568469
the thing is tho film school is overpriced af and just about every big director recommends not going because its a waste of time and money so yea idk
>>
pls make 4chan: the movie
>>
>>16567026
I will study film in the uni.
Of course I know is not needed to make a movie, but i don't give a fuck, i don't want to make a movie. I'll just go to confirm my patrician tastes and to learn more.

Tbh I think you will never be a famous director, sorry.
>>
Honestly, OP, that industry is so hard to make a living out of. Like there's a very high chance you'll fail in it. Not saying you shouldn't go for what you love, but it's better to go about it in a practical way. Go to uni and study something "practical" first, like commerce or something. This is so you have a back up plan should things not work out. Then go and study what you like, be it film or whatever.
>>
>>16568480
>>16568480
only if ull be apart of it

>>16568502
Go ahead, but I mean it is the second most useless degree... unless you know you have the drive and do activity out of tuition. Thanks, I hope you do well in uni.

>>16568511
I know, it really is hard to make a stable living but, like I said, I'm still going to go to uni. Thank you for this advice though anon, I know you are right. It's going to be like a hobby for now, and maybe I'll luckily be hired one day aha.
>>
>I want to be a director.
i want a golden toilet seat
> I'm a young female living in a middle class family
you're also probably just above average intelligence and very creative... so you can become whatever you want!
like everyone else...
>THIS ALL SOUNDS UNREALISTIC U KNOW
depends what your expectations are..
>yes but that's more due to the preteen writing style than due to aiming at a sought-after job.

basically yes everyone can be a director. of a highschool play, maybe a tv-commercial. Unless you have hollywood in mind it's not that far fetched really. just see whether you still like the realistic side of it whether that works out for you. That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't aim higher but if all the appeal is lost when you have to get by with two jobs and only get to direct amatuers then you'd better go for your second choice.

>YouTube channel to get my name out there or someshit?
no probably not. you're not going to produce anything other than cringefests untill you have some serious education or some years of experience working with actual actors.

>>16567339
>I just need people who are directly involved in the film industry.
yeah that's part of the reason why people go to film school...
also you could do internships.

> I'll luckily be hired one day aha.
why? why on earth would anyone just pick some random chick from the internet and gamble any sum of money (even the cheapest actors and equipment will cost a decent sum of money) on them? there's hordes of graduated film-people writing names on cups and they do have some sort of proof that they can do something!
>>
>>16568382
No. Be in a classroom with other students and an expert.
>>
>>16568587
Appreciate your honesty dude. I know I sound slightly autistic. I'm just really confused and have no idea where to start, so apologies for that. It's really hard to explain here, but like I've read a lot about going to film school and about 90% of the proportion who have attended film school have regretted it. I understand where your coming from, though. Idk, maybe I should drop these ideologies but I'll see what happens. I'll play around, shoot some short films and appeal them for mini festivals around my area but thanks again heaps.
>>
>>16567026
I think if you really want to get good at it you need to change your perspective of it. Don't start out with this big idea of being professional director. It's something that's so far off that making it your goal will only make directing tedious and disappoint you. From my own experience and from observing people I know with the same interest(s) as me, the difference is I went in to it with absolutely no ambition. I did it solely because I loved the act of doing it. The process. That can mean many things but for me it was to constantly push the limit, learn more difficult things and better myself for no other reason than the fact I enjoyed doing so. And that's what payed off. While other people eventually quit when they felt they hadn't or couldn't achieve their goals, I kept evolving.

So my advice to you is to not focus on becoming a director. At least for a long while until you have faith in your abilities or it's the only natural way to progress your abilities. Until then, if you're a complete beginner in your interest, you need to just start messing around with it and figure out if you even enjoy the act of more than the idea of it. If it turns out you have that constant need to mess around with it and to learn more, it will come naturally. You might enjoy it so much you feel like making it your living. If not it would be foolish to try to make it your living before you know whether you like it or not.

The way I initially got good at what I do, was just observing what other people were doing like on youtube. Then I copied and learned it myself. As I learned more I found new people that impressed even more and repeated the process. Eventually I became good enough to make stuff myself and improve different aspects of it. Later I received a lot of lessons but I was already far ahead by then but I always felt I learned the most by doing it myself.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.