[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is that white button?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
What is that white button?
>>
google.com -> rotary telephone

I could have done that for you, but if I did that then I wouldn't have actually helped you in any way. /adv/ is for helping people.
>>
>>16566198
It cuts the call off. You use it when you finish one call and want to make another right away without putting the reciever back in the cradle.
>>
>>16566205

I've used a phone like that before but I've never seen a button like that above the rotary plate.

You didn't help yet. I still can't find any explanation for that button.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_dial
>>
File: Phone.jpg (155 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Phone.jpg
155 KB, 960x720
>>
>>16566214
I gives ye a hint: touchtone phones were also sometimes made with a button beneath the receiver and above the dialing numbers.
>>
There's a "hang up" button and a "front desk" button, either of which might be mounted in that position on any kind of desk-ornament phone.
>>
But who was the phone?
>>
>>16566274
"Front desk button"?
>>
http://www.vintagephones.com.au/ccp0-emailfriend/green-acf-telephone-pmg-refurbished-shell.html

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/private-automatic-branch-exchange
>>
>>16566283
Hotel: this hooks you up with whatever you need.

Otherwise: 'front desk' might be to summon a nurse in a hospital, back before hospital beds were plastered with electronics. Or a sales rep, or technical support; the call goes to another phone in the same building rather than going to the phone company's giant robot.
>>
>>16566320
I can't see how that works on a rotary dial. Must be the same as dialing 1?
>>
>>16566322
There were varying styles of rotary phones; other than the basic "call a number I wrote down" a phone can do some certain tricks. These things were readily available even before the 90s, because there was huge demand for them. "Front desk" basically means call a fixed point within the same building. This is generally a receptionist, or a cubicle for someone who just answers phones all day.
>>
That button seems to be PABX system. Not sure what it means though.
>>
>>16566331
The basic principle is the same. You cut the line and the switchboard will count the number of times you cut the line.

I grew up in the 80ties and we had only rotary phones at one point. You could dial a phonenumber by just repeatedly click the hang-up button. One time for 1, two times for 2 and 10 times for 0. So that's why I find the front desk button weird...
>>
>>16566340
Long story short: router/server

It's this thing you put in a big building, to make it so you can supply phones to more people with less bills to pay. It also increases the number of tricks a phone can do; those 90s/00s phones with a lot more buttons (look at any receptionist desk) generally lean on those things. I'm not sure if all-digital phones run on them, because my last major employer shat the bed when those were installed.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.