[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, I'm a male in my early 20s. Most of the last
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
Hey /adv/,

I'm a male in my early 20s.

Most of the last 8 years I have spent in isolation due to a chronic illness (physical not mental.)

I'm finally starting to get out in the world, but I find it extremely hard to communicate and adapt to my new environment.

What do?
>>
File: 326519__poison-dart-frog_p.jpg (86 KB, 923x606) Image search: [Google]
326519__poison-dart-frog_p.jpg
86 KB, 923x606
Keep trying.
>>
Can you give some examples?
>>
>>16563287
ride it out. Be sure to keep yourself exposed to the outside world and it'll get easier with time.
>>
File: kermit.jpg (8 KB, 245x162) Image search: [Google]
kermit.jpg
8 KB, 245x162
>>16563298
You must really like frogs.
>>
>>16563304
They're poison!
>>
>>16563298
IDK, I'm sometimes personable, but sometimes I interject too much in a conversation like someone is saying something and I try and say something but they keep talking.

I sometimes say what I want to say in my head in a conversation instead of saying it out loud.

I try to be around people, but I often get discouraged because I either over analyze a situation, or I fuck up by doing something weird.

Right now, the illness is coming back.

I usually only go out on Friday night for a church meetup, but I feel like I don't really belong there.

I tried going to this other one on thursday night 2 weeks ago and met some cool people, but the atmosphere is really overwhelming to me because there are so many people and I kind of don't know how to act around so many.

I didn't go last Thursday. I just didn't feel up to it, but I might go again depending on how I'm feeling.
>>
>>16563325

My situation is not quite as extreme as yours, but I missed nearly 4 years of school due to a physical chronic illness. I was 15 when I started going to school again, I was a huge fucking aspie and had a very hard time adapting. Years of social isolation does something to your brain, and the only thing to do is practice. It takes time, but I went from being the weirdest, creepiest person to someone who was suddenly called extremely charming, extroverted and sociable. You just gotta learn from your surroundings; isolate yourself as little as possible and take every opportunity you can to make friends
>>
>>16563325
Can you find a way to hang out with people who are younger than you?
>>
>>16563351
The Friday night meetup I'm the oldest one there, but I feel like the youngest.

Most everyone there is going to college and I'm just sitting here being a NEET.

My illness restricts me from doing the kinds of things I want to do a lot of the time.

Lately its kinda getting worse and I'm losing a lot of weight with not much energy left to hang out with people.
>>
What is your illness
>>
>>16563371
crohn's disease, I'm in a bad flare and I'm consistently losing weight
>>
File: strawberry-poison-frog.jpg (230 KB, 1280x897) Image search: [Google]
strawberry-poison-frog.jpg
230 KB, 1280x897
>>16563362
You are the youngest, since you took time off. That's what I was getting at.
>>
Practice being out as much as humanly possible, as other people have said.

It'll be uncomfortable and painful, but hey

No pain, No gain.
>>
>>16563294
>>16563393
OK I guess I'll keep fighting the awkward feelings.
>>
Go to a rave and do MDMA

Its also really easy to meet people and make friends if your a freak compared to traditional methods.
>>
>>16563483
I actually tried this once and I felt like it wasn't my scene.

I really did enjoy the music and gloving though
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.