[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Engineering salary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: 2.jpg (19 KB, 451x267) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
19 KB, 451x267
Are you more likely to bring home six figures with an engineering degree? Specifically a Mech/Aero engineering degree? How does one even do this? I was thinking that they go up into management positions, but I'm not quite sure as the industries vary.
>>
Once you get the degree and the job, you are supposed to go to night school for your MBA. Then you segue into the 6 figure mgmt position.
>>
>>16560663

Why though? Why do they all chase after MBA's? Why don't they go get a master's in their field of engineering? I suppose it could be since that would lead to more research based stuff rather than management. But, I hear getting an MBA isn't even that great if it's not from some top-tier school.
>>
>>16560648
>Are you more likely to bring home six figures with an engineering degree?
More likely than what? More likely than someone that majors in feminist dance theory? Fuck yes. Six figures is getting to be a middle class income, and even truck drivers break into that bracket with much less time wasted.
>>
>>16560648
>studied civil engineering
>no civil jobs after graduation
>get a job as a coal mine operator
>offered job as a mechanical engineer
>$172k pa one year after graduation

It's all about networking, being good at what you do and sheer dumb luck
>>
>>16560837

A state university I see offers a dual program that combines Mechanical and Aerospace engineering into one degree. It's an accredited university (of course) and I can save a butt load of money going to it. All the $ is in the oil industry and tech industry today, but I don't know if I want to go into oil.
>>
in bay area jobs you'll come close to that right out of school
in flyover it may take a good portion of your career to get there

the job in flyover will give you MUCH more purchasing power however
>>
>>16561548

Damn, I live in NY and the states on the east coast don't seem to pay as well as the ones on the west coast. Could be the difference in industries, though. There's still great jobs over here, but probably not as many.
>>
>>16560648
Am I the only one that wants to become armorist once I get my engineering degree (mech. ofc)
>>
>>16561673
there really doesn't seem to be a lot for engineers out east because big energy and the military industrial complex scoop up graduates and have them working in red states, while most commercial and consumer shit is going to be on the west coast

just realize what you're asking for with a six figure salary these days
you'll have to live somewhere with a very high cost of living and very high taxes, OR you will not be working 40 hours a week
>>
>>16561783

What's the most flexible industry/position to work in when it comes to Mech/Aerospace E? Seems a lot of guys in the oil industry have to move around a lot, don't know if I'd like that. Like I said before, there's some solid work here in the east coast, there's a Lockheed Martin right around where I live actually.
>>
>>16561801
I work as EE
I would never EVER sell my soul to the MIC

if youre a traditional mechanical you may be able to get into consumer electronics but you'd probably be better suited to commercial aerospace, just make sure your company has as LITTLE TO DO WITH THE MILITARY AS POSSIBLE
>>
File: 1332548180804.jpg (2 KB, 126x124) Image search: [Google]
1332548180804.jpg
2 KB, 126x124
Have fun being a wage slave, and having the most interesting thing about you being the fact that you make a lot of money. Also, if you somehow managed to secure a job right out of college making six figures, you're what's wrong with the world.
>>
>>16561816

What's wrong with military? Give me some insight, anon.
>>
also pay close attention friend

>>16561833
savor every moment you get like this here
this anal pain is a fine nectar

and here's a question to the ass blasted:
how can you be a wage slave if you work on a salary?
>>
File: f4179f92850bc5a5.jpg (52 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
f4179f92850bc5a5.jpg
52 KB, 600x400
>>16561852
do I really need to spell out for you why the MIC is a big, dark, scary place you should never go or why it's a bad idea to have your pay hinge on the federal budget for that year?

just think about it for a while
>>
>>16561852
Not the anon you replied to, but as an engineer the military are the best customer you could ever hope for. You can have jobs go several orders of magnitude over budget and be several decades late then end up with a product that doesn't work at all, and they'll still pay you a few hundred million in compensation when they cancel the project.
>>
>>16561886
>>16561883

My dream was to go into the aerospace industry, but I'm not sure about it since the aerospace industry is kind of lacking right now. I mean, with a Mech/AeroE degree, I have a lot of options. But, there's tons of different industries out there, and picking one to work in is kind of difficult. I'm still trying to see which one I'd like best, but I don't want to work fucking 60 hours a week, man.
>>
>>16561863

"Anal pain", "ass blasted"

Yup, thanks for confirming that rich people are smug asswipes.

>how can you be a wage slave if you work on a salary? lol pwnd

Yeah great question - how *can* you be a wage slave when you're required to be somewhere all the time and work on someone else's schedule and dress how they tell you to and eat when they tell you to and take time off when they say you can and follow their PC codes of conduct etc.

Brainwashed fucks
>>
In the future, anything that CAN be done by a computer WILL be done by a computer.

Most engineering functions can easily be done by a computer.

I think we're not too many years away from having a world run by clerks and programmers.

No matter what you do, salaries are going to plummet and the future looks bleak.
>>
>>16561801
Aerospace is difficult to get into as the competition is high because most people think airplanes are cool.

MechE is the most flexible major. You can do design, production, maintenance, ect at any company that makes or services physical items.
>>
>>16561673
NYC pay is solid for finance straight out of school. Most of my friends and I will be getting about 150 all-in first year.
>>
>>16561907
it's impossible not to be smug when your bitter attitude is literally giving me an erection

i work 40 hours a week flex schedule, get 3.5 weeks vacation, and have a casual dress code

but too bad i can't walk around calling people niggers right?
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>16561955

I actually think it's hilarious that you people call others [less fortunate than you] "bitter" when they suggest that you're living a life of excess. You can't take it with you, bud.
>>
>>16561924

Yeah, the growth rate for jobs in the aerospace industry are low. But, getting an MBA and doing management doesn't sound too bad. I just don't want something that's soul sucking.
>>
Six figures in dollars is just a guy with robust skills in a technical area. As opposed to a skillset that is easy to break into. It's like Perl vs PHP.

Isn't the "six figures" thing usually measured in GBP? That would be $150k.
>>
>>16561978
>I just don't want something that's soul sucking.

As someone who works with engineers they spend more time talking on the phone and in meeting that doing actual design work. Also long hours on salary pushes down your hourly rate.
>>
>>16560648

I want to go full motorsport automotive enginee. I will apply next year for university, probably at Bolton

I am really afraid, I'm into cars, a lot, but I am not a genius in maths or physics. I want to make money enough to be happy.

If anyone knows, what should I do during university to boost up my chances of being a good engineer. Hints, what should I do after university, anything
>>
>>16562187

What industry do you work in? Also, would you recommend getting a master's in your field of engineering?
>>
>>16561886
This. I do software engineering for the air force and there's tons of money there and the standard of work is way below what you'd think. So inefficient. If you're a lazy fuck who doesn't care about his job, it might be great for you being an analyst (MEs and AEs are often hired for this purpose right out of college at ~55k). If you want challenge and engagement over boredom, consider a non-military job. I'm looking elsewhere myself because I'm sick of sitting there doing nothing and dealing with red tape.
>>
>>16562187
>As someone who works with engineers they spend more time talking on the phone and in meeting that doing actual design work. Also long hours on salary pushes down your hourly rate.

Yep, pretty much true. The bigger the engineering project, the more coordination needs to occur to make sure somebody doesn't fuck up.

>>16562211
Degrees don't matter as much as as your education. It's perfectly possible to get a diploma and understand jack shit about your major. I'll hire a BSE who knows his stuff over an MSE who didn't learn a thing or know how to apply it.
>>
>>16561886
>Not the anon you replied to, but as an engineer the military are the best customer you could ever hope for. You can have jobs go several orders of magnitude over budget and be several decades late then end up with a product that doesn't work at all, and they'll still pay you a few hundred million in compensation when they cancel the project.

It's not like that kind of shit doesn't happen in the huge consumer companies as well. Hell, half the projects in my career (20 years) were cancelled and I kept on getting a paycheck and promotions the whole time.

Still beats being at a startup, where essentially there's only one "project" and the company folds when it fails and you lose your job as well.
>>
>>16560663

This - everybody wants to be a PM and that is usually the ultimate goal of a person in any engineering discipline. I am surprised that someone is actually giving this advice since 4chan is usually full of teenagers who always parrot to each other that they should get advanced degrees in their previous discipline.

Anyway, there are a bunch of DoD contracting companies around where I live. They regularly start new grads at $75k and pay over $100k for people who have more than five years of experience.

I guess you're just out of luck if you live in flyover country and the only jobs available are for municipalities and such.
>>
>>16562541
>This - everybody wants to be a PM and that is usually the ultimate goal of a person in any engineering discipline.

Yuck. PM is where people go that can't hack it as an engineer. They spend all day in meetings doing coordination rather than any actual work and soon lose what engineering skills they ever had.
>>
>>16562597

And? It is not like they ever plan on going back to the trenches. PMs are necessary, the numbers speak for themselves.

If you want to be an engineer, be an engineer. It is a pretty silly attitude to have when you imply that everybody should be doing the same thing.
>>
>>16562616
Yeah, the numbers do speak for themselves. Some of the PMs in the last massive layoff at my company are still unemployed a year later.
>>
>>16562620

The employment of a PM is directly related to availability of projects, which is why 90% of PMs work for consultant firms and corporations who do have their own PMO hire PMs as contractors.

I'm not sure what your point is.
>>
>>16560648
Engineering Chiefs on Merchant Marine vessels are supposed to bring in around $115,000 annually, or was it $155,000? I can't remember...
>>
>>16561920

That future is "not in your lifetime" when it comes to engineering jobs. There is a billionaire preaching about how narrow AI (I forgot the term) will replace doctors and engineers. This is a load of shit for at least the next few decades.
>>
Sorry for sabotaging the conversation but I'd rather post here instead of creating a new thread about careers/education.

Is anyone familiar with the field of astronomy? I want to go into astronomy then astrophysics but I'd like to know more about the actual job. I'm ok with it not being a high paying job because it's something I love but I'm mostly concerned with there being a shortage of jobs with fierce competition.
>>
>>16562201

guys, anyone? Bump I guess
>>
>>16563253
astronomy is very lucrative. You need connections to get a good job, otherwise you're stuck doing the most boring tasks imaginable.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.