[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Parents never noticing depression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1446257736263.png (129 KB, 600x943) Image search: [Google]
1446257736263.png
129 KB, 600x943
So /adv/, did your parents ever notice that you were depressed?

My father recently found my copy of "Anxiety and Depression for Dummies" and asked if I still felt that way and seemed shocked that I was depressed. Really I see no way how you can live with someone and not notice.
>>
>>16560346
How old are you? They might have just chalked it up to a phase, and I don't think it's uncommon for parents to do that

What advice do you want, anyway?
>>
>>16560346
My parents would notice when I was sad and mopey but never thought that it was more than just an isolated event.

And when they asked and I would respond with "I'm okay", it never really went further than that. I don't blame them but I do feel as though it was fairly obvious.

Even today I feel as though they don't entirely know me. Or even slightly. It sounds cliched and cringey but it's the best way I can explain it. I'm 20 nearly 21.
>>
>>16560349
I`m 19 right now and I know that teenage angst is a large part of everyone`s life during their formative years but I felt like killing myself every day for 5 years and it shocked my father and surprised my sister.

If your looking to give advice then can you advise me on how to live with people that you just don`t trust or want to be around anymore?
>>
>>16560380
>If your looking to give advice then can you advise me on how to live with people that you just don`t trust or want to be around anymore?
Don't live with them? You're 19, you're old enough to live on your own.
>>
>>16560482
Well that is the most ovuious solution but I`m not going to have a job capable of sustaining myself for at least another 6 months and I would rather live with them for as long as possible to save up money for a down payment.

I was thinking about working odd hours just to avoid them.
>>
>>16560495
What's so bad about living with them anyway?
>>
My mom knew but my parents were never together. I lived with my dad when it began to become a problem for me and I hid it away at all costs until my father went through my shit and found my journals. I think I had a total of two conversations about seeking help with him but he never did anything about it. nobody seemed to believe I wanted to die. when I was 17 I actually tried to kill myself so I think people have taken me seriously since then.
>>
>>16560502
I feel like I`ve just outgrown living with them, and learning that they never noticed along with other things I`ve started to seriously question their judgement.
>>
>>16560518
That doesn't seem like something you can't handle for 6 more months.
>>
>>16560523
Moving out is expensive and I`m cheap.
>>
>>16560531
Yeah, and?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.