[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /adv/, I am a person who is terrified of travelling via
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: plane.jpg (3 KB, 160x90) Image search: [Google]
plane.jpg
3 KB, 160x90
Hello /adv/,

I am a person who is terrified of travelling via plane, and has pretty severe panic attacks any time I am forced to travel long distances. My sister recently revealed to me that she plans on getting married next year, and she wants to have her wedding in a foreign country where her fiance is from -- this would be a 13 hour plane ride. I expressed that I was opposed to going to a foreign country, and reminded her of how my anxiety gets when I travel. She seemed to kind of laugh and ignore my concerns, saying that I would have to be there regardless since I am her brother. It has really been bothering me -- would it be rude and inconsiderate of me to just flat out say I refuse to go to her wedding in a foreign country? Or should I find some way to deal with my issues and heavily medicate myself for the duration of the time in the foreign country. I feel like it is not my place to dictate where she wants to be married, but at the same time I feel like it is rude of her to expect me to do something that she knows I am not at all comfortable doing.
>>
You deal with your mental issues and go to her wedding. It's gonna be fine.

Best regards,
Goldmember and two silver membersships of frequent flyer programs.
>>
>>16559514
Depends on what is it that scares you.

>Is it the aircraft itself? do moving of the wings scare you?
>Is it the noise of the engines?
>Do you feel claustrophobic?
> Is it the turbulence?

The best place to start is to rationalize your fear.
Learn how the airplane works, learn how it flies.

Better still get a flying lesson with an instructor, explain that you're scared of flying and would like to learn more about it (you don't have to go in the air straight away)
Understanding is the best way to overcome fear.

All the best.

Pilot (Training to be an commercial Pilot)
Hang glider
Skydiver
>>
just take a boat
>>
Make friends with any Muslims on the plane, just incase their gonna blow it up maybe maybe they won't cause your friendly
>>
>>16559740
Yeah if any terrorist where to be in the plane, ask them politely to fly into the wedding ceramony as a form of revenge. And remember, praise allah
>>
>>16559514
She's having the wedding in her fiance's country because he probably wants his family to be able to attend. Even if you made your feelings known she probably would still have it there for that reason. You can refuse to go, but you'll have to deal with the fallout of her being pissed about it. She thinks that you should be there for her wedding, and she is ignoring your concerns because she probably assumes you will do something about your anxiety to be there for her. For your own sake you should probably look into cognitive behavioral therapy anyway, it's been shown to be very effective for all kinds of phobias, social anxiety, panic disorder, etc. It may even work all right by itself, without any anti-anxiety medication.
>>
just walk/swim

make sure to start early enough so you get there in time

good luck
>>
What is it about flying that scares you?
>>
>>16559668
Op post a reply to this I am curious.

Me personally I don't like flying because of the weird sensation I get when the plane moves really fast on the runway. It kinda forces me back in my seat. And when the plane turns. It feels like everything goes sideways. Such weird feelings that go in my belly.

Maybe OP is the same way. Just a hunch.
>>
File: Cerea.jpg (55 KB, 425x320) Image search: [Google]
Cerea.jpg
55 KB, 425x320
>>16559514
Tell your sister to buy you first class there and back
>>
>>16559514
Trips that long can be broken up, and in fact you can sometimes save money by not flying direct.

Instead of 12 hours London to Sydney, try London-Cairo, Cairo-Mumbai, Mumbai-Singapore, Singapore-Sydney. (I don't know if that's a real itinerary, but you get the general idea.) Some stops could involve a couple of hours layover, one might include a night in a hotel.
>>
>>16560384
That is actually quite common, it might surprise you that its the rumbling and the sound of the engine that makes you uneasy.

Because the the sensation is much like accelerating in a dirt road.

A lot of enthusiasts actually enjoy this part because they can feel the power of the aircraft. You assume you are one with the machine much like when you are flying.

Though when the aircraft 'rotates' that sensation makes a lot of people uncomfortable, especially when they get a perspective of climbing. This is can be overcome by practice by exposure.
Same with the turning of the aircraft.

Though severe turbulence is a different kettle of fish. (I can elaborate in another post im at work at the moment)
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.