[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I find meaning in life? Nothing I do is exciting, my old
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14 KB, 443x332
How do I find meaning in life? Nothing I do is exciting, my old pursuits aren't fun and new ones don't appeal to me. I don't know what I want to do, or I want things that are impossible. All I do is work and play video games with my friends. I feel like I am wasting my life but I don't know what would be better, or even if there is something better. How do I become interested in existing again?
>>
Sounds like you should try magic mushrooms. Do some research
>>
The closest you can get to "finding" it is to devote yourself to a cause of some kind. Religious, political, and sovial causes are commonly used for this.

But really, meaning in life isn't something that you can find; you have to make it. Even when you devote yourself to a cause you will still end up doing this, because you'll have to choose how you will fight for that cause. But it will seem a little less like making it up as you go along.
>>
>>16558776

Welcome to the average person's life. Some escapes include:

>getting rich as fuck
>getting really good at something which leads to # 1
>finding "real" love (gl if you are average)
>doing something that's meaningful - good luck without #2
>>
My first question to you is whether you find video games with friends to be a meaningful part of life. That's not a loaded question. I'm just curious.

My second question is whether you've thought of any alternative approaches. You seem to be willing to stipulate that life has a meaning to be found, that some things out there are meant to appeal to you. If you were to give up on the approach of "keep trying new pursuits," how else would you find something appealing? What other route is there to finding meaning? Again, not a loaded question. I just want to know if you've got any ideas for an alternative approach.
>>
>>16558788

>My first question to you is whether you find video games with friends to be a meaningful part of life. That's not a loaded question. I'm just curious.

Video games are not a meaningful part of life, except maybe, maybe in extreme moderation while you are young. This is just the objective truth.

Friends - depends fully on quality.
>>
>>16558786
Thats all so far beyond me though. I'm just a nobody, I can't change the world. I just want to make it appealing

>>16558788
Not particularly. I spend my free time doing nothing special, shooting imaginary soldiers and the like

No I don't know what to do, that's why I'm here. But most people seem to be pretty content with their lives, I want that
>>
>>16558803

>Thats all so far beyond me though. I'm just a nobody, I can't change the world. I just want to make it appealing

>wants to stay average
>but get above average returns

/adv/ and tumblr in a nutshell.
>>
>>16558808
I am 'above average' but I can't make global events happen
>>
>>16558794
>Video games are not a meaningful part of life, except maybe, maybe in extreme moderation while you are young. This is just the objective truth
>This is just the objective truth

Yeah. Okay. I have had a lot of great times with my friends playing video games. Shit, I made most of my friends because we liked similar video games.

Video games are like every other entertainment medium. I also know a couple people who analyzed why they like playing video games and used that knowledge to excel and something else (competition, puzzle-solving, etc.)

Anyway, OP, I feel the same way. Most of the time on weekends because my friends are away at uni and Im stuck in my boring suburban town. I feel like if I can just get one goal, one thing I am serious about, I can focus and get my life together, but I just can't find what that is.
>>
>>16558813

That's not the question. The question is whether you can make shit in your life happen.
>>
>>16558817

>Video games are like every other entertainment medium. I also know a couple people who analyzed why they like playing video games and used that knowledge to excel and something else (competition, puzzle-solving, etc.)

Word? They excelled at puzzle solving? Did they excel at jerking off to hentai too?

But hey, you are welcome to enjoy your nerd friends, if that's what does it for you. Maybe you can solve some puzzles together.
>>
>>16558819
Ofc I can within reason, the point is what do I do? What do I do in my life to make it meaningful to myself?
>>
>>16558821
>Did they excel at jerking off to hentai too?
What does that have to do with video games? Or anything, really.

What I meant was they liked puzzle-solving, so they went with a career that was similar to that, where they could "solve puzzles." Not in a literally sense, of course. I mean like Computer Programming has "puzzles" that need to be solved in to make software work correctly, lawyers need to fight for their client, a doctor figuring out a diagnosis, etc.

And nerd friends are still friends. I enjoy their company and they (hopefully) enjoy mine. We have good times. And thats all I need. I don't need alcohol and weed at every event I go to because I'm not a huge fag.
>>
>>16558817
>>16558821

Let me state this in a way you can understand. Fat women with nothing to live for can be brought together by their love of chicken wings and SWJ. Drug addicts can be brought together by sharing an infected heroin needle. You seem to imply that sharing failure alleviates it. Maybe it does, in terms of complacency and escapism.

>>16558826

You play video games because that's the closest you can get in excitement. If you try to go for something you want irl, you will crash hard. You are aware of this, and you say to yourself "Life isn't interesting."
>>
>>16558842
You are very unhelpful
>>
Still looking for some advice
>>
>>16558836

>programming
>puzzle solving

Yet somehow no one draws analogies between CS and becoming part of ST6. You know why? Because it's a completely unreasonable stretch.

>>16558845
>>16558869

Wrong. I am just telling you what you don't want to hear.

Also, the only answer 4chan will give you are:

>lift
>get a hobby

While not invalid, they won't get you what you want.
>>
>>16558842
>Drug addicts can be brought together by sharing an infected heroin needle.
You can't really compare the two, because heroin is, well, heroin. It has confirmed negative effects on your body and mind.

Playing video games occasionally with my friends is not.

>>16558885
>Yet somehow no one draws analogies between CS and becoming part of ST6. You know why? Because it's a completely unreasonable stretch.

Or because they are completely unrelated?
I don't mean LITERAL solving of puzzles, you asshat. But if you can't see how computer programming is about overcoming issues and problems, similar to puzzles, then your are just being ignorant.

>While not invalid, they won't get you what you want.
Anything can make you find meaning in life if you enjoy it enough and dedicated enough.

If you have trouble mustering the motivation for everyday things, OP, you may have clinical depression. Talk to your doctor.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.