[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm taking the ACT test tomorrow morning, any advice or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
I'm taking the ACT test tomorrow morning, any advice or tips? Didn't study at all.
>>
It doesn't matter if you studied, if you are smart you will do well.
>>
Don't fuck it up, as my father would say
>>
1.Its been proven that picking one letter and sticking to it will increase your chances of getting an answer right vs. Choosing any letter randomly, or "Christmas treeing."

2. Bring a stopwatch, when there is one minute left pick your one letter and go with it for the rest of the answers. The ACT does not take off for wrong answers, so putting anything will at least give you a chance at it being right.

3. The math section is structured from easiest to hardest questions, with the last 15-20 of the 60 question test being algebra 2 and trigonometry. The first 40 or so should be pretty solvable if you are past 9th grade, so try your best to get those right.

4. If you know you can do an answer but it would take more time than that question requires, lightly mark anything so that if you end up forgetting it was there you would still get something if its right.

5. Dress in layers. You dont know if it will be cold, warm, or hot in your testing area, so dress for any condition.
>>
>>16557121
No. The ACT takes a lot of knowledge in math to do well. You can't infer most of it, you've had to have learned the rules. This sort of test takes years of conditioning to do well, and if you never listened in school or had bad teachers, you won't do well, even with studying. There's also a lot of time management involved.

>>16557117
OP, if you listened in class, you'll do well. Time management is key here though, so bring a digital watch. I'm taking it as well tomorrow. Godspeed.

Some tips would be: on English, shorter is ALWAYS better, bring a calculator for math (you will need it), brush up on your formulas (you'll need to know several, they don't let you use a math chart) for math. On reading, you will have to read very thoroughly the first time around since you wont have time to read it a second time, make sure to imagine the bigger picture, visualize things as you read, paraphrase in the margins. On the writing, follow the structure you were taught for essays in high school.

You should take a practice test right now to get a feel for the test.

Godspeed.
>>
>>16557166
http://www.erikthered.com/tutor/act-facts-and-formulas.pdf

And study this at least.
>>
>>16557166
I brought a digital watch the first time I took the ACT. The whole time I was paranoid as fuck that the watch would go off in the middle of the testing session, which I'm pretty sure invalidates your test.
>>
>>16557117
I studied and got a 25. Increased 3pts over my first try of 22.

I can't believe that was 10 years ago. The test is so irrelevant to college - you have no

Do well though because it was worth $3000 in scholarships for me.
>>
>>16557358
I agree. However, AdComs don't know you, so this is another way to make admission decisions more thorough, as far as student academics go.
>>
I got a 29 and didn't study. If you are a good test taker then it's a breeze. If not well you can retake it in like 6 months after you've studied
>>
>>16557166
>if you never listened in school or had bad teachers, you won't do well, even with studying.
well maybe this is the exception, but my parents hired an SAT/ACT tutor who was really well known in my town. I got mostly C's and failed lots of math classes, school was never my thing, but I did get a 1990 SAT and 32 ACT. obviously this is a special case because my tutor was really good at what he did but you don't really have to be that good at school to do good on these
>>
>>16557388
those were both first try too, none of this retaking bullshit
>>
>>16557376

The while admissions system is crooked. I went to a state college and they deemed me too stupid for main campus and I got placed to a satellite branch.

Transferred to the main campus in 2 years and ran right alongside the "honors" kids.

The best part of the ACT test is when they say the score doesn't mean much. And they're right. Motivation trumps everything. You need it when you get into college because no one is there waiting to hold your hand.
>>
>>16557388
Well, it should go without saying if you hire a private tutor, you'll do well also, since that's exactly what tutors do professionally, and are paid thousands to do it well. I'm talking about the kids who don't have money to hire a tutor, and self-study (me).
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.