[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Girl that I consider just a friend asked me to hang out one on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: church-of-the-minorities-ii.jpg (392 KB, 1102x1280) Image search: [Google]
church-of-the-minorities-ii.jpg
392 KB, 1102x1280
Girl that I consider just a friend asked me to hang out one on one. I'm currently in my first relationship. Am I supposed to ask my gf if its cool with her first?
>>
Bring you phone and go. Unless you GF would expect you to tell her then tell her.
>>
>>16556300

nope. don't be her pet. if you want to hang out with this girl, but try to subtly lay down the law. just talk about your girlfriend a lot. even make that an excuse when you are hanging with this friend one on one be like 'meeting my girlfriend for dinner after this'.

she'll feel awkward but get the idea, and the relationship between you two will begin to define itself.

that being said tryt to bring it up casually to your girlfriend.

'oh what are you up to today? oh thats cool, im just gonna hang with anonnete.'

acknowledge it exists and its not a big deal. if ur gf has a problem with it, dont take offense, but explain that friends are friends.
>>
>>16556300
Weird that you have to ask, is she particularly controlling or something?
Just hanging out is no big deal at all, I wouldn't bother telling her. It's not like you're going camping just the two of you or anything.
If it still bothers you, just mention that you're going to her, but don't ask for permission, that's just lame.
>>
>>16556306
>>16556312
The thing is my gf has caught me texting another girl before and got pissed. She's also tried snooping through my phone
>>
Ask? No, all you do is say you are going to hang out with her and where.

Has your girl at least met her? That's what made me okay with my ex to hang out with his female best friend one-on-one.
>>
>>16556318

unless your cheating, laugh it off. tease her about it. ur allowed to have female friends. and if you arent on the 'verge of cheating' all the time, then dont worry.
>>
>>16556333
This OP. Your relationship should be able to handle you going out with one person
>>
Really there's nothing bad at all about having a platonic female friend and you shouldn't need to clear it with your girlfriend before you socialize with someone.

On the other hand.... in the practical sense of maintaining a relationship with a woman who is insecure, jealous and manipulative (i.e. every woman on the planet) you need to be able to negotiate the sometimes difficult boundaries here. People in this thread so far are just repeating the "you shouldn't have to do this" line without recognizing that in some circumstances there are other things you need to take into account in order to prevent conflict between you and your girlfriend.

General rule of thumb might be this: be open, honest and courteous, be understanding and communicate with her when she has a problem, don't let her get away with inappropriate behavior or burdensome restrictions (which is much harder in practice). There's two traps here, though; the first is that you end up ditching your friends, your social life, your personality for her (which is likely to eventually cause her to lose interest in you and break up); the other is that you begin to perceive her as an irrational, emotional monster and it ruins your interest and you break up with her. If you can toe the middle, you can maintain a relationship.
>>
>>16556300
you are supposed to reject that girl.
>>
>>16556300
introduce your gf to this "friend" before you go. Be fair OP, be respectful and give your partner the common courtesy of knowing where and with whom you are with.
>>
>>16556300
>Girl that I consider just a friend.

Are you abso-fucking-lutely sure that she considers you just a friend as well?

Is there any specific reason that she wants to hang one-on-one? It's implied this is the first time she wants to do this, why?

You're treading in a minefield here, buddy.
>>
>>16556300
Jeez, you sound whipped. To me, your girlfriend shouldn't be your mother. You don't "have" to ask her to do anything. You should just know when something is or isn't okay based on how your girlfriend might think in hopes that she does the same for you.

If you think she wouldn't like it, don't do it. Especially in this case where it really isn't too much of a struggle to not hang out with this girl. But if she's a psycho who would freak out regardless, then you probably should end it with her anyway.

I would still tell her though. Just in casual conversation not in a "watch out" type of way. Like "Oh by the way, I'm gonna go hang out with X". If you haven't given your girlfriend a reason to not trust you then you should be fine. Just be honest.
>>
>>16556417
This OP
>>
>>16556318
>pissed that you texted somebody else
>snooped through your phone

Fuck that bitch, man. Either grow a pair and leave, or tell her to fuck right off if she ever thinks about doing that shit again. Go chill with this other girl, maybe she's better. You're the fucking man - you don't ask permission for a bitch like the one you've got.
>>
Op would you be ok with her going out 1 on 1 with a single guy friend?
If yes then its not a big deal
If no youre a faggot with double standards
>>
>>16556300
Answer your own question by asking yourself how you would feel if your gf went to hang out with another dude.
>>
You're supposed to make the appropriate decision on your own, not ask others on how to behave. That includes even coming here.
>>
>>16556300
If you want to hang out with her, ask your gf. If gf says yes, go hang out with lady friend. Don't do anything like hold hands, kiss, or finger, or fuck lady friend. If she wants to do this, just say "I'm in a relationship and wouldn't feel comfortable doing this with such a beautiful woman."
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.