[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
physical engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1410559508231.png (22 KB, 234x200) Image search: [Google]
1410559508231.png
22 KB, 234x200
So, I like physics, but I also like finding a job and not living in the streets. This is why I thought that physeng would be a good compromise between the two things. It should allow for a wider array of jobs while still allowing me to study what I love. Where am I wrong? Or where am I right?

In your answer, keep in mind that I live in Italy and I cannot afford getting a degree abroad. It is a bit of a meme, but notoriously most people with a physics degree in our country end up washing dishes. The only thing you may say as an answer to this is "no but Italian physicists are really appreciated all around the world", but something makes me doubt that.

P.s. This thread was originally on sci but they deleted it because they thought it was just about picking a college. It's actually more in general about the subject of PhysEng and whether it's worth taking as a compromise between physics and a stable job
>>
File: 20150125_141005.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150125_141005.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Bump for interest
>>
I have no idea how it could be that bad for physics people over there. Usually a physics degree is very versatile and lets you get into a wide variety of careers. It's absolutely one of the best degrees to have.

Source: got my degree in physics. Now working in finance.
>>
>>16555529
It's really just that both public and private research in Italy suck hard, both because of low funding and general lack of interest in scientific progress. Things are slowly starting to change but not in the least fast enough for one to feel sure with a physics degree
>>
File: engine.jpg (45 KB, 486x720) Image search: [Google]
engine.jpg
45 KB, 486x720
Depending on the licensing system over there, you have the option of working in the engine room of a ship, as well. Marine Engineering jobs are worldwide, which might help, and would certainly be more stable than what you might find in Italy.
>>
>>16555542
Physics people can do a lot more than research. Many go into industry, business consulting, finance, etc.
>>
>>16555529
What kind of work do you do in finance? Care to elaborate thewide variety of you could do?
>>
>>16555558
That sure sounds good
>>
>>16555561
I'm a quantitative analyst. Mainly I program models to calculate optimal portfolios for a set risk/return profile, and so on. Physics graduates have excellent analytical and problem solving skills that can really be applied to loads of different things.
>>
My dad actually has a master's in nuclear physics. Was a professor during his attempt at his doctorate.

He actually made a middle class income as an audio tech later. He also had his education during the end of the Cold War, so he was kinda jaded by physics and didn't really want to use it.

(Funny thing is that my mom made three times his income after dropping out of her master's in psychology, but she's also an overly serious workaholic. Go figure.)
>>
>>16555292
I have no idea what the job market like is in Italy, but here in Hong Kong, a Physics degree also does not have that many prospects. It's either research or teaching.
We only have 8 universities here so we haven't reached the stage of... ugh... uni students working at Starbucks.
We have a glut of engineers here though. The average admission score for Engineering is lower than pretty much every other major.
Maybe ask in an Italian forum for advice?
>>
>>16555636
I was told you could end up working on low level programming and other stuff,but i guess researching seems the most appealing job
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.