[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tips on convincing others that god exists?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: my diary tbh.jpg (148 KB, 260x400) Image search: [Google]
my diary tbh.jpg
148 KB, 260x400
tips on convincing others that god exists?
>>
Don't

Forced spirituality is awful

Let people discover the divine on their own time
>>
>>16552004
That's not a tip you fucking mongrel.
I'll just say this right now: anyone that has no helpful advice but more normie bullshit such as "live and let live X---DDDD" shouldn't bother replying.
>>
How did Jesus convince Didymus that he was reincarnated?
Do that, that should work.
>>
>>16552007
All right fine

Start keeping synchronicity and dream journals
NEVER reveal a spiritual thought, always share it in the form of a question like a koan or riddle
Read "This Idea Must Die", cutting edge science is leaning towards decidedly religious ideas
Read Prometheus Rising
Learn an energy healing trick ("hot hands")

This is what I did to push my atheist mother to convert to new age garbage, my Christian best friend as well

I still think it's a pointless endeavor. People come to it in their own time, all you can do is speed it up a little for SOME people. Others push back and end up more firmly non-believers
>>
>>16552007
Well aren't we a pleasant lil potential terrorist.
>>
>>16551994
We do not understand why particles have certain properties- one of those properties being mass. In my opinion we cannot completely disregard creationism until we understand why matter acts certain ways.

How I explain my faith- though I am not as spiritual as others.
>>
Read dawkins and harris.
At the very least, even if you are unconvicned of their arguements, you will be A)morr sure of your own views and B) better understanding of how non relgious people view the situation helping you both better emphasize with them and persuade them.
>>
Knocking on peoples door when they don't want to be disturbed, or are eating their dinner or somethin' must work, because religious nuts always do that.

Why not try cold call preaching too. You could revolutionise it mate. (And I wouldn't give a fuck, I don't answer my phone anyway, chances are it's most likely yet another cold caller).
>>
>>16551994
Any tips on convincing people that God doesn't exist?
>>
>>16551994
fuck off back to christ-chan
>>
>>16551994
People will believe or not believe. Theres no real point to convince anyone. Dont be a fanatic.
>>
>>16552004
This.
Atheist here, so I'd recommend becoming an atheist yourself or at least getting to know someone's beliefs first.
Since you want advice I suggest using fear of death and the promise of eternal life as bait. Go with the emotional, personal side of things. Don't come out with the total bullshit right away, they might never accept that anyways. A general idea of some kind of god is way easier to believe in then the carpenter's tale.
>>
File: 1436613510354.jpg (2 MB, 1852x6928) Image search: [Google]
1436613510354.jpg
2 MB, 1852x6928
Ask them if they base their non belief in God on their feelings or logic.

Once they say yes hit them with Aquinas (Edward Feser has great books on this matter). At this point they will have to either renounce their non belief or admit that their lack of belief is illogical
>>
>>16551994
>convincing
>not getting the essence of faith

You really have no clue, do you, OP
>>
>>16551994
Don't bother. A God who needs your help isn't worth believing in.
>>
>>16551994
Don't?
>>
>>16552063
>new-age
>hand healing
trash.exe

>>16552073
I'm not a towel-head

>>16552095
True; there's a lot of things which need some explaining but have none, but we still work with them and they work just fine in our physics models (movement, force, etc)

>>16552120
Not sure who harris is but Dawkins doesn't really make strong arguments against Deism, though he does rock the world of basic theology. That, however, isn't what I'm asking about.

>>16552139
>>16552158
>>16552148
>>16552315
>>16552323
"dicks are tasty. I like them"
-all the people quoted here

>>16552182
Aquinas logic is unfounded. Hume's induction would have BTFO him.

>>16552206
faith alone no longer moves mountains today.
>>
>>16552004
1UP+
>>
>>16552773
>Aquinas logic is unfounded. Hume's induction would have BTFO him.

Only if you wholly reject causation
>>
File: bred.png (281 KB, 845x452) Image search: [Google]
bred.png
281 KB, 845x452
>>16551994
>>
Have schzophrenia.
>>
>>16552773
Why do you want to convince somebody that God exists anon?
>>
>>16553325
why do you care?
>>
>>16551994
>>16552007
Kill yourself and come back to life to prove them you were right.
>>
File: 1447173358881.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1447173358881.gif
1 MB, 480x270
ITT: Assmad christfags
>>
>>16551994
>tips on convincing others that god exists?
People generally need evidence, but that defeats the purpose of faith. Holy books and anecdotal experiences don't count (for most people).

Nothing really to add here, but I found the thread interesting. You have your work cut out for you.
>>
>>16553925
"people" only want evidence that suits their criteria of evidence. god is a different experience than other experiences; you can't expect some fucking huge head of a man with a long beard telling you "yo man i'm god and i exist" you stupid child.
>>
bleh, god is dead, and good fucking riddance.

Think about it, if there's a god and he's omniscient and the personification of good, then why do bad things happen? Is it not a sin to idly stand by and watch bad things happen, when it's in your very power to stop catastrophe? Wasn't it His fault in the first place, considering he knows what's going to happen, and set the pieces in motion himself?

And then He has the audacity to claim we sin because of our own personal weaknesses, when he's the one who made us. He knew Adam and Eve would eat from the tree, and let them, and then proceeded to call all humanity sinful for it.

Why did he make us anyway? To praise him? Isn't that a bit conceited? Is that a characteristic of a being that is only, and truly good?

Why would he endow us with reason and intellect just to make us forgo these for blind faith?

It's a fucking fairy tale. All the world's religions are. We simply don't have a goddamn clue, and that scares the shit out of people.

And why? What was it like before you were born? Exactly, eat a dick.
>>
>>16551994
You cannot convince someone who does not want to be convinced. They might see it but disagree because of pride, upbringing, etc.

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him."~ Proverbs 26:4
>>
>>16554248
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVOgPzXm7g
>>
>>16552095
Religion is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.

Doesn't it ever just blow your mind to be here, in this point in time, and not know why? What's the purpose of all of this? Is there one? Why should anything have existed, and what set this existence in motion?

God, and people worry about what the Kardashians are doing. We don't have enough respect for life, let alone our lives. We're pretty fucking big if we can see, hear, and touch the universe, and mostly since we can acknowledge its presence. We may not be the center of the universe, but that has to mean something..
>>
>>16554256
Lol why is he rocking back and forth?

Also are you going to address the subject matter or simply assume wrong shit about me and attack this fictitious character you've built up in your feeble wittle mind?
>>
>>16554248
>>16554265

Can you see an artist complete picture before they are finished? All one sees is lines, squiggles, etc. Same concept is true of what you deny. Just because we cannot see at the time what the full picture is, it doesn't mean there is not a greater purpose to the total picture.

You can argue until your face turns blue, the truth of the matter is that our intellect is limited to what we see, not to what there is. Oxygen, gravity one cannot see, but their effects are felt.
>>
File: 1446269153880.jpg (113 KB, 1024x945) Image search: [Google]
1446269153880.jpg
113 KB, 1024x945
>>16554225
>this butthurt you can't even prove your skydaddy exists
>>
>>16554284
>>16554284
I acknowledge that our understanding could be limited, but that doesn't excuse how we're expected to follow something that doesn't make sense on any level or has any sort of evidence to support a claim when God created us to seek these things out before handing over our belief.
>>
>>16554322
Nobody is expected to do anything. So long as you live a decent and moral life, treat others like you would like to be treated, maybe say hi to the big guy upstairs once in while.

There is plenty of evidence that can be seen to prove that we have a Creator. Tear up 100 pieces of paper, throw them on the ground 1000 times, see if you can create a tree, person, something that looks like an object. How much more so than all the planets, trees, plants, animals, humans, mountains, etc. If enough things are in place it is not random, but purposeful. Is building by chance? Or was it designed and created?

Being pious is an option, being decent is human. Heaven is a big place and is not limited to just the pious. If that were the case, there'd be like 50 people up there.
>>
>>16551994
Pro tip: Stop believing in God
>>
>>16554367
Natural selection isn't just a randomzier. It generates random mutations and then the most successful one wins. Board games use rolling dice to generate random numbers, yet people can still progress in the game.
>>
>>16554384
What created the creations that go through natural selection? All physical things have a starting point. Does a house that goes through renovation not have a builder?
>>
>>16554395
Big bang, carbon from stars, amoebas etc
>>
>>16554367
>Wheeling out the 'pocket watch complexity' example

Nothing to see here folks, just somebody trolling on advice, as per usual. If you're going to try and argue for your cause, at least be knowledgeable about which arguments are powerful and which ones regularly get laughed at. It will even help you troll better in the future.
>>
>>16554425
>typical angry and confused pseudointellectual

Perhaps you will ponder what was said and learn.
>>
>>16551994
My question is why do you want to?
>>
>>16554292
>this gay
>>
typical /adv/. i ask for help to do thing and they answer with other bullshit that has nothing to do with helping and barely anything with thing.

this is what inviting dumb roasties and their betakeks does to your board
>>
>>16554438
Okay, I'll bite.
>Tear up 100 pieces of paper, throw them on the ground 1000 times, see if you can create a tree, person, something that looks like an object.
What is the equivocal to in an atheists argument?
>If enough things are in place it is not random, but purposeful
Why do you say that? What is the purpose in how the human eye is designed (I only use this example because it seems to be a common touch stone on both sides of the discussion)?

>Is building by chance? Or was it designed and created?
I think the fundamental misunderstanding here is that you assume natural selection has a 'design' at any point. At best what you're arguing here is that a God (or gods) created the process by which everything in the universe was created. This, of course, would be a worthless thing to debate because no side will ever present compelling evidence for the other.

I feel like I'm reading a bizarre blend of irreducible complexity and a lazy argument for design.
>>
>>16552773
Neither was the guy in Norway that killed a bunch of kids at summer camp and set off a car bomb. Christian terrorists are way more scary than musslim ones.
>>
Neither was the unibomber, or Timothy Mcveigh, or that ass hat that shot up a planned parenthood (that location didn't even do abortions). When anybody starts telling me why I should beleive in their version of God running away is a safe option.
>>
>>16554468
Learn English faggot.
>>
File: 1449601163554.gif (183 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
1449601163554.gif
183 KB, 500x384
>>16553887
Because you seem awfully combative for somebody that's seeking advice.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.