[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is getting a teaching certificate in America very risky?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 8787790652744891.png (394 KB, 500x715) Image search: [Google]
8787790652744891.png
394 KB, 500x715
I am from a developed country and I have American citizenship. I majored in Engineering and I couldn't find an engineering job after grduation as the market was (and still is) very saturated. I ended up doing entry-level marketing work at an engineering company.

I am thinking about moving to America and spend one year getting a teacher certificate and then finding a job as a teacher. I've been interested in teaching for a while and I like working as a tutor.

Is quitting my job and moving to America to study teaching very risky? I've heard that there is a shortage of Math and Physics teachers in the states and this shortage is unlikely to end soon. I think that getting a teaching certificate in America rather than my homeland is better as I can network there and my honeland is also saturated with teachers. I am also interested in studying and working in another country to experience life.

My English is very good as I went to a bilingual school yet I still speak English with an accent. I have some money saved up but it will probably only last for a year.

Thanks for answering.
>>
It depends on what you mean by risky. There is something of a shortage of certified teachers in these subjects. Fibdibg a job should be doable, though you should contact the embassy for particulars.

That said, the working conditions approach sweatshop levels of terrible, the burnout rate is extremely high, and teaching is among the least respected professions in the country (sex work gets less respect, but it may be the only field that does). If this is the kind of thing you want to avoid, then a teaching certificate is probably not a good idea.
>>
>>16552114
By risking I mean giving up my job, moving to America to get a teacher certificate only to find that the job market suddenly becomes super saturated and there are no jobs.
I don't mind teaching and I know about its challenges. I just don't want to end up working at McDonalds after I move to America, that's all.
>>
File: medically-underserved-last.jpg (235 KB, 520x419) Image search: [Google]
medically-underserved-last.jpg
235 KB, 520x419
Many school districts will sponsor foreign teachers, especially in the STEM fields. The trick is picking one that is not too rural, too urban, or in a high crime area.
>>
Here's a list:
http://www.myvisajobs.com/Secondary-School-Teachers,-Except-Special-and-Career/Technical-Education-PERM15JT.htm
http://www.myvisajobs.com/Elementary-School-Teachers,-Except-Special-Education-PERM15JT.htm
Looks like it's mostly in Texas.
>>
>>16551988
Judging by the number of school shootings every year I'd say it was risky anon
>>
>>16553238
>school districts will sponsor foreign teachers
Even without any teaching certificates/degrees or experience?
How can I know if it a district has a high crime rate or not?
>>
>>16552114
>eaching is among the least respected professions in the country (sex work gets less respect, but it may be the only field that does
Even less than working at a coffee shop or fast food restaurant? I doubt so.
>>
>>16553725
I don't know about teaching K-12, but I taught a college math course briefly while I was in grad school.

Had a student spit in my face... people tearing up their homework... refusing to sit down in class. I was a piece of meat.

Horrible experience.
>>
>>16553456
In some cases you work towards the certificate while being a teacher's aide (a second teacher in the classroom).

They are all high crime. You'll be fine, though.
>>
>>16554303
You must have sucked in the extreme.
>>
>>16551988

If you move to US then you should just be able to get a job as an engineer. University deans shat the bed in this country; our schools are no good. Get your ass on those job hunting websites, and try to find a city with particularly high demand. Find three cities like this, and ask people to help you figure out which one will make you the happiest.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.