[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>my main strengths are problem solving, software design and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: sigh.png (669 KB, 669x720) Image search: [Google]
sigh.png
669 KB, 669x720
>my main strengths are problem solving, software design and coding
>apparently IT, CompSci and GameDev fields are oversaturated
what do?
>>
File: Smeet_in_a_tube.png (374 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Smeet_in_a_tube.png
374 KB, 640x480
App design?
>>
Start your own studio.
>>
>my main strengths are problem solving, software design and coding
Are they actually or are they just things you like to think about and pretend?

>>apparently IT, CompSci ...oversaturated
If you're shit at it. Getting a degree guarantees you nothing in those fields, people care about experience, certifications, and portfolios respectively. People think it's oversaturated because "people" is a million dipshits graduating with a CS degree thinking they're qualified to go into production and get paid the big bucks.

In reality, these people are often the furthest thing an employer wants to hire, because they have no enterprise organization and pride theory programming over pragmatic programming, have no work experience, and empty githubs.
>>
>>16551375
Hit up Software Engineering and make the big bucks.
>>
>>16551392
>Are they actually or are they just things you like to think about and pretend?
I can confidently say problem solving/lateral thinking and coding are definitely main strengths of mine, and I am top of my class in software design so I believe that it's something I can do well. That said, I don't have much experience worth noting for design.

>Getting a degree guarantees you nothing in those fields, people care about experience, certifications, and portfolios respectively.
Is it worth me getting a degree at all, or should I *purely* focus on more practical stuff? I'm expecting a high university admission ranking and I'd honestly be extremely hesitant to not make use of it.
>>
>>16551433
a degree will definitely help you find a job. every bit counts; but yes, experience trumps a glorified certificate. if you can get into a top school then definitely do so, a big name degree can do you wonders. however, during your college life be sure to apply for internships everywhere possible, or even do freelance work or start your own company. showing employers you can handle the work and not just the class is critical.
>>
Bioinformatics... Make all the money
>>
>>16551433
>>16551594

The dgeree will also buy you time to do some real programming in your downtime. At the leats you will have something to show for it when they ask to see some of your work - especially important if you want to so much as glance in the direction of gave dev (I'm assuming you mean the coding/programming side of things here, game design is a very different skillset). You may even get lucky and do something actually good, letting you to a great extent bypass the hard way in.

The degree will teach you at least the minimum, and is an opportunity to learn more than that if you take full advantage. It also puts you in a room with fifty other would-be coders 2-4 days a week. Skipping the degree only saves time if you have the discipline and skill and ability to self-learn to get the skills yourself. If you don't know whether you can do it for a fact already you're not someone who can.

You have to beat the class if you do the degree, as a piece of paper all it proves is that you aren't so incompetent you couldn't pass, the rest you have to prove yourself.

That said, if you live in one of the shit countries where university is fucking expensive then you also have to add up if the money is worth it.
>>
>>16551392
>and empty githubs
This shit is cancer. I have so many projects on my computer. Just cuz I don't push it doesn't mean I'm not experienced. I know how to use source control, my friends are all just lazy faggots that don't want to collaborate on anything.
>>
>>16551375

robotics, nigga.
biomedical shit.
drones, also under robotics
develop AI systems that change the future of the planet
stuff to clean the oceans or some shit

stop being a faggot
>>
>>16551594
>>16551791
Good points, noted. I think it would be best for me to do a degree in my situation.

>>16551778
Sounds interesting but not too sure if it's my cuppa, I'll definitely look into it though.

>>16551813
>Just cuz I don't push it doesn't mean I'm not experienced.
You still need a portfolio or something to prove you're experienced, even if it isn't a github.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.