[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: Career-Image.jpg (470 KB, 1000x925) Image search: [Google]
Career-Image.jpg
470 KB, 1000x925
Guys I'm confused. Maybe I can get some of your opinions to help me out.

I'm 24, prior US military, no degree, currently work doing Armed Security making great money. But i'm not satisfied with that job. The whole job hunt is stressful. the competition is crazy and my list of jobs i can apply to is very limited. Its not about the money to me. I just want a job I care about. I'm never going to get married or have kids. So i don't really have shit to live for 2bh. I just want a job i can focus on and care about. Below is 2 options that I could potentionally have. I just can't decide what to do.

1. A friend of mine works for a large, local Energy company. It's known to be a really good company to work for. They pay great, take great care of their employees, and overall just have very good ratings and reviews. My friend showed me a entry level position as a Groundman that the starting pay is almost identical to what i'm making now ($25/hr). Its all on the job training, and after a 1-2 years you can certify to be a Linesman. If you pass the certification your pay jumps to $37-39/hr. Which is obviously great. So there is that option.

2. My second option is i could hope and pray that the one job i really want, (Federal Air Marshal) opens up in the next few months like there is talk about. That job seems ideal to me because its constant travel, gov benefits, and i like shooting guns. Problem is its extremely competitive. But i have a plus because i have a Security clearance, and suitability with that Agency because of my current job. *note- my BEST bet to get hired for Federal Air Marshal would be while i'm still employed with my current company. Because i'll lose my agency specific suitability if i quit, and that can take months to get.

Continued...
>>
Friend of mine's uncle was a linesman. It's not a job you grow old in.

$25/h isn't great money.
>>
So what should i do guys?

My friend with the Energy Company is pretty confident that they would hire me. From the point he applied and got hired it only took just over a month. But with the Air Marshals, it could take many months before I'd find out if I was even getting a interview. But like I said about them before, My absolute best shot at them is while i'm still working where I am currently employed. If i leave my job, my suitability will expire. And my network with some of the Supervisors might die out too since I won't be around them.

I really want to do the Air Marshal, thats a job that only opens like once every 6 years or so. So this would literally be my only shot. But with the Energy Company. Thats a really good opportunity, and since i have someone on the inside willing to help, I might not get another shot at that either.

TL;DR- What job should i put my 100% focus on. The job i really want that i might not get. Or a good career that i don't necessarily want.
>>
>>16551023

>$25/h isn't great money

why do you say that? I remember reading that $50-60,000/yr is what most families survive on. I'm only 24, and never going to have a family. To me at least, its good pay.
>>
Why not become a Registered Nurse and do the energy company on the side until a solid Air Marshal job comes around? Being an RN is something that, holy shit, you will care about

downside is that it's a 3yr degree (at least it is over here in Aus)
>>
>>16551058

Like I said before though, my absolute best chance at getting hired to be a Air Marshal is with the job I'm currently working. So if I leave my job to go to the Energy company. My odds of applying and getting Air Marshal when they open would significantly be lower.

Also, college isn't really a option. I tried it, and it didn't work out. It's not for me.
>>
>>16551017

Don't be a statistic, use your gi bill. Play around with the electives and find what you're interested in, get your undergrad.

Tradesmen are expendable, especially when you're a contractor or a union foil.

>>16551023

To a milfag $25/hr is great money, especially if they were shitty and never got promoted while they were in.
>>
hold out for the Air Marshal job.
>>
>>16551078

I tried a semester. It was miserable, and it made the depression that I currently have 10x worse. I'm not doing college again
>>
>>16551084

Thanks for the input.
>>
Don't leave your current job. The groundsman job will be there if the air marshall one doesn't work out.
>>
>>16551098

Yeah... your first semester when you find out how atrophied the learning parts of your brain are is pretty depressing.

Oh well. I can't give you any useful advice since I would never consider the options you put forth. Good luck.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>16551102

Thanks for your input
>>
>>16551118

Yeah college is just not somewhere I belong. Thanks anyways
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.