[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey anyone with ADD? Anyone one meds? What is the difference
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 84523245.gif (984 KB, 416x234) Image search: [Google]
84523245.gif
984 KB, 416x234
Hey anyone with ADD?
Anyone one meds?
What is the difference when on or off meds?
>>
ADD/ADHD are not real diseases, they're fabricated pseudo-scientific labels that were voted into existence by the APA.

>Anyone one meds?

I've used amphetamines before, specifically prescription amphetamines that are commonly prescribed to people for this fake disease.

The downsides of amphetamines are that they are very addictive and harmful, even if you take them in prescribed doses. They come with various bad side effects, most notably they can make you stay awake for very long times, and kill your appetite so you don't want to eat anything, the result of this itself can make you a bit deranged. They also have a horrible comedown when they wear off. They do however make almost anyone focus more, they generally increase mental awareness and attention. They're one of the most pleasurable drugs on Earth, next to opiates and cocaine. The effects last several hours. These drugs were used in WWII for soldiers so they could stay awake and alert, to give you an idea of what these drugs are good for.

If you take amphetamines as prescribed, you'll most likely be taking a consistent small dose every day. The "zombie" effect that people describe from taking these drugs, which is usually the exact opposite of what amphetamines do, comes from the fact that you're not taking enough to get the full effects of the drugs, you're just consistently taking enough small doses to be between a state of perpetual minor amphetamine comedown, and the minor effects of amphetamines.
>>
>>16549758
Well thats your perspective
And there are some other meds i think
>>
>>16549779
There's methylphenidate and amphetamines, those are the only two relevant drugs for these fake diseases.

If you're going to use mind altering drugs for your fake disease, you might as well just use amphetamines over methylphenidate.
>>
I was up for almost a week straight on adderall (sp?)

And then some other one (forget the name but it was supposed to be milder) gave me auditory/visual hallucinations

Overall good fun, you might as well try them if you can get a script. No medication is going to be some magic life fixer on it's own, though.

I have to admit I don't know if I believe I really had ADD-ADHD, though it's usually a precursor of/comorbid with my current diagnosis, so who knows.
>>
I was prescribed vyvanse, much better, its a prodrug and it reversibly acts on the dopamine transporters, no norepinephrine effect like with adderal's "L" isomer (its a mix), this one is just modified "D".

Only concern is I was quickly worked to 60mg, the max is 70, and I wonder over my life if I will eventually need more for the same effect? And theres no real studies on the long term effects. I feel better about vyvanse being ONE thing and not some mix that" just works", because I imagine any mixture of amphetimines would truly need to be customized for a specific patient to be ideal and safe.
>>
I'm diagnosed ADD, but the older I get, the more I think my difficulties focusing have more to do with the manic phases of my bipolar disorder. Still, the medication is wonderful. It makes me feel like I have super powers. My memory gets more reliable, I have more energy, and I focus much better.

I like dextroamphetamine, but it can cause you to be aggressive and irritable. It can also make you nauseous until you're used to it.

Positive side effect is that it's wonderful for weight loss. It suppresses your appetite.

I'm not on it currently, but will be back on it in a few months. I'm very excited.
>>
>>16549817
Ever try ashwaganda? I hear its very relaxing/calming.

You def don't want adderall then, the levomethampetamin gives a more of a high manic feel that abusers like, but it can actuallt hurt focus if you're just hopped up.
>>
>>16549814
>And theres no real studies on the long term effects

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisdexamfetamine#Side_effects
http://www.facesofmeth.us/main.htm

>>16549817
>I'm diagnosed ADD, but the older I get, the more I think my difficulties focusing have more to do with the manic phases of my bipolar disorder.

Have you ever once stopped trying to apply everything about you to a fake disease which was voted into existence by the APA? Every time you have any undesirable emotional effect or behavior, do you automatically think "it must be some pseudo-scientific fabricated disease, not just who I am".

>Still, the medication is wonderful. It makes me feel like I have super powers.

lol
>>
>>16549830
It exists just its
1) Overdiagnosed, often probably better off to let the mild cases go to adulthood or until real difficulties begin rather than treating just off some "classic" behaviors which could easily be the childs personality or upbrinding.

2) Some have the effects of adhd due to some other disease, disorder or poor diet/health, in which case those should be treated first.

In my case I have diagnosed hashimotos hypothyroidism that went undiagnosed for a while since I am a guy and its more rare for a guy so it wasn't the first stone unturned.

Anyways, treatment of the hashimotos with thyroid hormone replacement got me almost to 80% or where I was in my teens before any of the effects of thyroid disease. I was still having issues with focus and energy late in the day or after any decently sized meal I could sleep, and it took real willpower just to function OK enough. My thyroid meds were already bringing me into the end of normal towards hyperthyroid so that was the end of that avenue of treatment.

Either through central apnea, or some some subtle effect of having years of undiagnosed then a year of trying to find the best dose, I suppose some damage occured. I underwent more than one kind of test for adhd, and it came out positive each time, low in both immediate attention and short term recall, and if my short term is becoming hindered, it made sense with that I was experiencing, having to study and work harder than before for less result.

One could say maybe I was still hypothyroid not adhd, but I was already given as much thyroid replacement therapy as it was felt safe to do, and vyvanse has been a life saver, for me its not an "enhancement" it really just brought me to where I was prior to my thyroid disorder rearing its ugly head. I know both hypothyroidism and adhd are attacked as over blown, that because of many self diagnosing patients, and overdiagnosing physicians.
>>
>>16549830
>mental illnesses don't exist
>learning disorders don't exist

Someone doesn't know about neuroimaging. Differences in brain structure and activity have been found in both ADHD patients and bipolar patients.
>>
>>16549830
Long term effects at prescribed doses, we know how bad abuse is
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.