[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one man up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
How does one man up?
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 638x449) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 638x449
>>16546705
>>
First off, stop using gender specific terms, we're living in 2015. Easiest way to feel better about yourself, get out and jog, rest will follow
>>
>>16546708
Okay how does one human the fuck up?
>>
>>16546705
Self-Reliance
>>
>>16546708

This

>>16546705

Also... Find skill requiring stuff you enjoy..
Get really good at those things.

Join communities and clubs where in those things are partcipated in.

Video games do not count.
>>
Stop trying to appease the people telling you to man up is a good start.
>>
>>16546708
>stop using gender specific terms, we're living in 2015.
If this isn't a joke please kill yourself

>>16546705
>How does one man up?
To "man up" basically means to accept a challenge even if it's very difficult to you, like the transition from a boy to adulthood through some kind of trial.
If you have manned up then you should be independent, responsible, dependable by others and capable.
In order to effectively do anything of worth you have to be prepared; lifting weights, knowing how to fight, knowing how to speak in public, basic aptitudes or skills like handiwork and craftsmanship, being aware of your surroundings, etc.
All of this requires not necessarily bravery or confidence but will: everyone is scared of certain things but if you can press on despite that and without showing weakness then you can say you're a man

It's not enough to "do your best". Simply trying doesn't mean shit and is just a copout for people who lack discipline.
>>
>>16546705
wake up and stare angrily at the horizon and know deep within yourself that you are going to hold today down and fuck it
>>
>>16546708
>omg, like, it's the current year guys.
>>
>>16546708
Appeals to fashion are not compelling.

But anyway, how do you man up? The first step (and the reason I believe the gendered language is appropriate) is to rework the way you define your identity, according to the way men have traditionally defined themselves: not by the things you ARE, but by the things you DO.

I will warn you: for most people, this is a VERY unpleasant process at first. It means letting go of your empty, unconditional model of self-esteem and hanging conditions on it. And if you need to man up, then you are probably not going to measure up very well at first.

The lucky ones find this process traumatic. You may wonder what on Earth could be called lucky about this. The trick is that it's when we've hit rock bottom that we become most open to change: when nothing can ever again be as it was, and you have to adapt just to survive, sneaking in a few other changes is not so difficult anymore. This condition doesn't last, so you have to strike while the iron is hot, but it

There is, however, another factor at play here. When you are starting to define yourself by what you do, and it's really starting to sink in, the phrases "I don't do that" and "This is what I do" take on very new and powerful meanings. This condition ALSO doesn't last, and so once again, you have to move quickly. Furthermore, you have to start snall, with relatively easy wins, to reinforce the effect and keep it going as long as possible. Hygeine and keeping your home clean are good starter tasks: they aren't difficult, but you see the effects instantly and constantly. They help keep things going, espevially through the setbacks that people almost inevitably suffer.

The power of this technique comes from lining these two conditions up to occur at the same time, so that they can stack on each other. That sort of combination is not easy to come by, which is part of why this technique became common. Those first few days suck like not much else can. But it works.
>>
>>16546707

lol
>>
File: 1448080306601.jpg (15 KB, 693x693) Image search: [Google]
1448080306601.jpg
15 KB, 693x693
>>16546708
Ahahahaha holy fuck
>just jog everything will be better

Manliness is all about not letting external issues keep you down, emotionally. It's not letting fear, desire, anger, etc affect your actions. Women can storm and cry and hide and throw tantrums, but men dont let anything change what they're doing or how they act.

Consistency. Dependability. Stability.
>>
>>16546879
So the technique is basically to think of yourself as a physical culmination of your actions and filling in the void therein?

What exactly are the two conditions? If they are what I think they are then they're very similar.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.