[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get better at Chess? No matter what I do, I get beaten
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: goodwp.com_26747.jpg (336 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
goodwp.com_26747.jpg
336 KB, 1920x1200
How do I get better at Chess? No matter what I do, I get beaten by practically everybody. Even when I do everything right, the opponent still has something up his sleeve.
>>
>>16546444
Study plays.
>>
>>16546489
Well I do that, I see my blunder and I think to myself "I'll try not to do that again"

Next thing I know, I'm still losing.
>>
>>16546444
Let's start with a lesson, what do you already know and where have you gone to learn more?
>>
>>16546444

Buy one of those chess training workbooks.

The ones that essentially show you a board that's been fully set up, and ask you to puzzle out what you moves you to do make to win in 1 turn, or 2 turns, or 3 turns, etc.

The more you do that, the more you start to broaden your viewpoint and become able to be cognizant of the pieces on the board.

Then the more you do this, the more you start to recognize patterns and strategies that exist.

There's a saying that the greatest chess players are the best, because they're always 10 steps ahead of you, but that's kind of false. The greatest chess players don't play in terms of steps, they play in terms of strategies of exact moves that they switch between depending on what strategy their opponent is using. They switch between opening with the Sicilian defence to the king's indian attack depending on how they see their opponent, or even to just get a read on how they think.

In the Sicilian defense you're reponse to e4 is always open 1. c5, then probably 2. Nf3 and 3. d4, etc etc. It's a specific set of moves, a specific way to responding. And knowledge of how to implement them comes from countless hours of drilling and practice.

The only way to get good, is to just do it and to learn what it is you're doing.
>>
You learn "the right thing to do" for every possible situation. This is the reason why I dislike chess so much. Games are always inherently restricted by their rules but chess strategy is way more limiting than that (though admittedly not absolutely). You've either encountered the board situation and learned how to handle it or you haven't.
>>
>>16546546
Not Op but you seem knowledgeable. I tend to open with the birds opening. However midgame, transitioning into endgame, I lose momentum and struggle to pull through a win, beyond the initial five or six move variations at the start how does one transition? I am a relatively good player and do well with the caro kann and other strategies, but this one seems to alude me
>>
>>16546444
Play computer chess instead of whatever you spend your online hours on. Start at a level that you can easily win at, and then move up until it's challenging. When you start beating the computer at a level you begain losing at, you're on your way.
>>
>>16546564

To be fair, you're not alone. Bird's opening seems to elude most players in general. It's non-developing and statistically weakens your position, making it more prone to losing compared to some safer, more popular openings. It's a relatively high risk, medium reward opening (which I guess is part of what makes it exciting). You actually need a bit more creativity and carefully aggressive decision making with it (and like everything else, those improve with more practice and experience)

If you're having problems with the specific opening and it's transitions, know that it's somewhat niche in the first place, and that while limited, there is literature devoted specifically to it.

IMO it's more of a pocket strat rather than anything, but eh, if you really like it, just keep at it. Your fun's what matters.
>>
>>16546444
Idk control the center of the board I guess. The edges of the board block/limit your potential movement and if you have more options than your opponent you're PROBABLY going to find one that's better. Also stop them from castling even maybe at the sacrifice of a powerful peice
>>
>>16546976
Thanks for the advice, truthfully it was just the next one on my list to learn and get familiar with. But it has proven to be kind of useless, thanks for the input
>>
>>16546558
that's not true, chess is an infinite game, it's not limited is something that's infinite that's why its a sport

because no matter what you can turn the pieces around
>>
>>16546444
concentrate and play with your phone.

sometimes practice is your best bet.
memory is a thing to appreciate
>>
>>16546444
It takes time. I've been frequenting chess.com for a month now and until this last week I was getting my ass kicked constantly and my rating dropped like a rock. Now it is slowly recovering.
>>
>>16546444
Read books about chess.
>>
>>16547242
>that's not true, chess is an infinite game,
There's no such thing as an infinite game with rules.

>no matter what
Then how does checkmate exist, retard? It's defined as the impossibility to save your king.
>>
>>16546976
You're awesome, bud. I'm super rusty but I'm seeing some new things formulate in my head already.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.