[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can avoid feeling bad because of my age? I'll be fairly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: that_feel.png (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
that_feel.png
14 KB, 300x300
How can avoid feeling bad because of my age?

I'll be fairly old next year (24) and I'll still be in college, since I have stayed away from it for personal reasons. I have plans to finish next year, but I feel awkward since many people I know are now years ahead and working there, while I still be graduating next year (if I'm lucky).

When I think of the shame of seeing many teachers again, while I am taking basic courses I should have taken years ago, I feel I just want to drop it and forget about it. I'm not going to do that, but still, I feel like my time has passed.
>>
>>16546266
I'll be 24 when I finish too, but that's not unusual for what I'm doing. That said, I have friends who are much older, and honestly, it's not that bad. Your options are to keep going, or drop out and be even more of a 'loser' - you can't change what's already happened. The former is obviously preferable.
>>
>>16546266
>but that's not unusual for what I'm doing
What do you do?
>>
>>16546305
I'm a law student. Where I live, law is an undergrad degree so it can done in 4 years, but most people do another degree alongside it, which adds another year or two, so people are 23/24 when they finish, assuming they started at 18. I've just finished my other degree, and I have a year of law left.
>>
>>16546266
I know what you mean,

but I started looking for work whilst in school related to my courses

I freelance on the side, helps with experince and money
>>
>>16546313
That's cool. I'm a math student, my second degree was philosophy, for which I stopped studying maths seriously for a couple of years.

What was your other degree?
>>
graduated in computer Engineering at 30 and living a good life. Traveled pretty much the whole world in the meantime. Hope that makes you feel better because I regret nothing.
I have to mention that you can't possibly get that degree before 25 her where I live, but still I was pretty out of the road
>>
>>16546323
A BA in Psychology and Criminology. I enjoyed it and I value what I learnt, but I don't think I'd pursue a career with it alone.
>>
>>16546266

this is literally just a willpower thing. there is nothing much we can tell you other than that.

if it makes you feel better, rationalize. its not that you are behind, its that you were doing something else.

worse comes to worse, dont mention age. you arent the first student to ever get a late start, no teacher is going to be like 'LOL LOOK AT THIS FAGET HES TAKING A FRSHMAN CLASS AS A SENIOR BECAUSE OF REASONS I DONT EVEN KNOW!!1!"

in my senior year of highschool i had to take a freshman history class, simply because i moved around a lot (5 highschools) and US history was considered a junior class at some schools, and an underclassmen class at others, and i was holding out to take AP us history, blah blah.

but i didnt feel like i was dumb or 'behind' just cuz i hadn't had a chance to do something yet. i was just busy with other stuff.

but ultimately it comes down to you just deciding not to let it bug you, and re enforcing that idea. say it out loud 'no one cares'. say it and you will believe it.
>>
>>16546329
this is true

there were balding men on my chemsitry class undegrad
>>
>>16546324
Not OP, but I'm planning to obtain my music degree at 28. Thanks.
>>
>>16546266
>24
>Old
You can fuck right off.
>>
>>16546266
You are not "fairly old", you're a fucking child and no one gives a flying fuck whether you finish college at 24, 30 or 60.
>>
>>16546266
I have same feelings.
23 years here, I'm stuck at 3rd year of law. Though I passed all the difficult exams (one more remaining), it still finally hit me, I wasted fucking 2 years of my life not studying, and not doing anything pretty much, just lazying around.
I don't know why I feel so bad about this. Where I live, plenty of people study even longer. It's just that I see some people who already graduated, some are even employed, and I'm starting to feel like a real adult right now.
And it fucking sucks for some reason. I don't know. Is there such thing as early 20's crisis? Cause I'm feeling it.
>>
>>16546379
ikr
>>
>>16546491
>>16546379
I'm the guy>>16546520
It's not really about being old; it's just that you start feeling like an adult. I don't know if everyone experiences it.
Like, some things feel weird. Playing video games for example. Even posting on 4chan. It feels wrong for some reason.
>>
>>16546551
You know that being an adult means you can do whatever you want, right? If you want to play video games then fucking play video games. People will chastise you for it but people will do that no matter what you choose to do. You have the freedom to do what makes you happy. If you have a job (or are in education) and contribute to society then fuck what everyone else thinks you should do with your spare time.
>>
>>16546584
Yeah, but it's not about that, I don't care about how people would judge me. I judge myself. It doesn't feel fun anymore for some reason.
I mean, I just used video games as an example.
All I'm saying, is that I feel like an adult, but also kinda lost for some reason.
>>
>>16546551
>Playing video games for example. Even posting on 4chan. It feels wrong for some reason.
I don't feel it wrong, but my interest in both has diminished more and more.
/lit/ is the only board I visit frequently, and most of the time I just check the catalog because most discussions seem entirely pointless
>>
>>16546592
>It doesn't feel fun anymore for some reason.
It doesn't feel fun, or it doesn't feel right?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.