[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like I don't belong here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
Is there anyone else out there that feels disconnected from the world as a whole?

People call me weird that I don't have any desire to travel or see new places, or meet new people, and I can't really argue with them - there are some undeniably beautiful things on this planet worth living for, but the things I've seen, the things I've come to know, has caused me to lose faith in more than just people, but my own powerlessness to change anything at all.

"For in much wisdom, is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow" - this alone explains my current perspective of.. everything.

I realize that, with time, I've started to pay less and less attention to current affairs of the world in general, probably for fear of losing even more faith to the point of pushing me towards even ending my own existence perhaps. I mean, you would probably think the same thing if you ask yourself "is this all that life here is worth? Shouldn't your life be worth something better than this?"

I think this famous quote (by Socrates) pretty much sums it up: "The unexamined life is not worth living"

I guess you could call this an existential crisis, but if it is, wouldn't it be fleeting and not this perpetual feeling I have that sits in between this dull melancholic boredom and utter disgust/hate at the world in general?

I used to think it would be irresponsible of me to even want to forget, but..
All I would wish for now is to forget everything and live far away where things are less complicated/chaotic.
>>
There's this perpetual feeling that sits
between my ribs
melancholic boredom, swaddled in a crib
of bones.

Is there anything quite so disconnecting
as being aware
of the relative unimportance of your skeleton?

I would compare
forgetting to
"ignorance is bliss"
I used to comprehend
my level of responsibility
now I think this is
beyond my capability.
>>
>>16546014
>Is there anyone else out there that feels disconnected from the world as a whole?

Yes, but what we feel is often far from the reality. The reality all matter in the universe is connected in that they originate from the same source.

>"For in much wisdom, is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow"

I disagree with this. Knowledge is inherently neutral, it is the interpreter that associates his/her feelings to the knowledge/information he/she percieves.

Wisdom coincides with truth, and sometimes, the truth can hurt. Wisdom sides with ethical action and thought. Think of it this way: it is knowledge to know that smoking is bad, it takes wisdom to stop smoking.

>fear of losing even more faith to the point of pushing me towards even ending my own existence perhaps.

The key is to remain Equanimous (not neutral, or numb). Numbing supresses, neutral is close to indifference. You will see bad things that will make you feel bad, likewise there are good things that will make you feel good. It's a constant push and pull. You should not entrust your wellbeing on the happenings of the world.

>"is this all that life here is worth? Shouldn't your life be worth something better than this?"

Worth is relative. Look at maslow's pyramid. If you were a hungry child, your life is worth living when you have food. I don't know your situation, but usually you can find things that you can be happy with without causing too much desire in you.

>I think this famous quote (by Socrates) pretty much sums it up: "The unexamined life is not worth living"

Yes, that quote applies to any philosophical thought. Not sure how it sums up your cynicism.

>wouldn't it be fleeting and not this perpetual feeling I have that sits in between this dull melancholic boredom and utter disgust/hate at the world in general?

Existential "problems" can be fleeting or be as perennial as the seasons.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 483x419) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 483x419
>>16546181
>maslow's pyramid
Excellent perspective
>>
>>16546014

>Is there anyone else out there that feels disconnected from the world as a whole?

yes. literally everyone. it comes with being the only consciousness you can experience. everything seems so rational when it comes from your own mind, so when you look out and see anything remotely different, you are too self centered to see anything 'real'.

>"For in much wisdom, is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow

you aren't nearly as smart as you think unfortunately. people like you like to think that its your wisdom and knowledge that makes you this superior special snowflake that is above society, but there were a dozen of you in every highschool who thought this way, and were dumb as bricks. they only believed themselves to be smart because that is what parents told untalented kids, hoping to boost their self image, but instead giving them inflated egos.

you aren't very wise, and you aren't very knowledgable, at least not much more so than literally millions if not a billion of other people are. your sorrows are unrelated. you may think its the worlds issue, but truly it is you.

true wisdom or even basic knowledge would tell you that you can be a part of this world without 'living in it'.

its not weird that you dont want to go see new places or meet new people. its just you. theres a thousand neets just like you in your town. there is nothing wrong with wanting to simply carve out a private existence and focusing solely on the things that you enjoy, as opposed to going out there and mingling with the argumentative masses.

but dont think that makes you wise or smart.
>>
>>16546014
>used to think it would be irresponsible of me to even want to forget, but..
>All I would wish for now is to forget everything and live far away where things are less complicated/chaotic.

This is taking the blue-pill. You acknolwedge there is a problem in you and the world, yet you close your eyes and ears and bury your head in the sand.

This is contra to the philosophical thought where any inquiry/situation is analysed.

Instead I suggest you keep your examined knowledge, refrain from getting "happiness" from external, volatile sources, find/create an ethical framework to guide your actions. Usually, you want to serve the needy and stuff like that. For your case, I think you need reevaluate on how you see and "generate" happiness.
>>
>>16546186
Its my go-to whenever someone sees their life as truly miserable whilst living in a middle-class suburbia. Lots of people would be happy to take your spot.
>>
>>16546014
I recently felt like I was going through an existential crisis too, and I'm not out of it yet. I look around me and the people I meet don't seem to want the same things that I want, or don't see the world in the same way that I do, and it feels pretty lonely and isolating.

I think it's more to do with the quality of your relationships at that time rather than whether or not there's something wrong with you. For example, I worked a summer job recently where I really enjoyed the company of my workmates and mades some good friends, because we shared the same sort of interests. When I was with them I was doing the sorts of things I wanted to do, and it felt like my life had direction and purpose again. Then the job ended, I returned to my normal life, and the feeling of ennui came back hard.

So I guess my advice is to just keep searching for the things that give your life meaning (no matter how meaningless it all feels), and don't be too hard on yourself if it takes some time. Maybe put yourself out of your comfort zone and try something you'd never have done before. Fuck it right, what do you have to lose?
>>
>>16546181
OP here.

>I disagree with this. Knowledge is inherently neutral, it is the interpreter that associates his/her feelings to the knowledge/information he/she percieves.

I wish I could be that objective with all knowledge.. but unfortunately, I'm only human. To feel is to be human, is it not?

>You should not entrust your wellbeing on the happenings of the world.

Indeed I shouldn't - because why should you let anyone else other than yourself affect your wellbeing and how you think? I should be responsible for my own thoughts, not others, but that's the crux of the problem you see - I can't simply ignore what's in front of me, which is why I already am wishing for a way to live somewhere distant where the hustle and bustle of the world can't bother me. With the way we're living nowadays, I don't suppose I can just run off into a faraway place and build a house and live alone there forever, at least not from where I'm at anyways.

But I'll try, anon, and I'll keep trying. Thanks.

>I think this famous quote (by Socrates) pretty much sums it up: "The unexamined life is not worth living"

>Yes, that quote applies to any philosophical thought. Not sure how it sums up your cynicism.

I'm referring to people in general, or more specifically, how, unlike me, they're able to live happily without a care in the world that, in some other part of the world, many people are suffering and yet, where ~90 people died in the recent Paris attacks, everyone goes apeshit over it. Things like this have happened so many times, and so consistently to the point I don't even bother to see if the world's moved on or not.
If the world isn't going to re-examine (or re-evaluate) itself, then I simply refuse to be a part of it.

>>16546186
>>16546224
Yeah, I think I'll be holding onto this for awhile..
>>
>>16546199
>you aren't nearly as smart as you think unfortunately. people like you like to think that its your wisdom and knowledge that makes you this superior special snowflake that is above society, but there were a dozen of you in every highschool who thought this way, and were dumb as bricks. they only believed themselves to be smart because that is what parents told untalented kids, hoping to boost their self image, but instead giving them inflated egos.

You misunderstand, by quoting that I didn't mean to imply I was above anyone at all.
In fact, if you ask me, I'd prefer to have stayed 'not smart' or naive and innocent (as I'd like to call it) so I wouldn't have to be in this dreadful limbo-like state.

Besides, everything is relative, even wisdom. There will always be someone smarter than you, sadder than you, happier than you, richer than you, etc, which sort of makes any point anyone makes about 'being smart' .. subjective, for the lack of a better word. I apologize, anon, if I sounded condescending in any way.

>>16546205

>This is taking the blue-pill.
Yeah, I kinda regret taking the red-pill..

>For your case, I think you need reevaluate on how you see and "generate" happiness.
Definitely need to re-evaluate how I see 'happiness', because for as long as I can remember, I always thought of happiness as something utterly useless - there is no good in it besides the rush of euphoria your brain feeds back to you when you 'feel happy'. You simply 'feel good' and that's it. Do you gain anything from it? Nope, none at all (nothing tangible at least). Worse, it puts people in this state where they feel they don't need to do 'anything more' because they're happy. We stop maturing/growing as a species if everyone feels that way. Nothing good comes out of it.

I've now grown to recognize sadness and despair as being the most meaningful emotional stimuli, because people can actually then draw from it a sense of purpose and direction to move forward towards.
>>
>>16546326
> To feel is to be human, is it not?
Yes, but its not a exclusive human trait.

Unless you've mastered you're feelings, you will find it hard to remain objective about things. And we all know what happens if we dont keep our feelings in check (anger, sadness, etc).

>I can't simply ignore what's in front of me, which is why I already am wishing for a way to live somewhere distant where the hustle and bustle of the world can't bother me.

You can go to any island in the world, people will still be hungry, ignorant, and close-minded. Not much you can do to change that, you can try, but you can't force anything.

If you're looking for internal respite, look into meditation. You can build a home and fortify it within yourself. The house being a symbol for inner strength of mind.
Imagine being a janitor, you get to see other peoples shit every day. A good janitor leaves work when work is done, he doesnt keep any baggage from his work. Is he being ignorant by releasing old baggage? No. Everyone needs a moment of silence.

>people died in the recent Paris attacks, everyone goes apeshit over it

People usually only care if its on the media. They are blind to many problems of the world. They don't care if it doesn't affect them.

At the same time, i think it is counterproductive to worry about problems where you cannot influence or act on it.

>If the world isn't going to re-examine (or re-evaluate) itself, then I simply refuse to be a part of it.

Then be a recluse, no one will care.
>>
File: 2000px-Yin_yang.svg.png (109 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Yin_yang.svg.png
109 KB, 2000x2000
>>16546368
>I've now grown to recognize sadness and despair as being the most meaningful emotional stimuli, because people can actually then draw from it a sense of purpose and direction to move forward towards.

I disagree. I would say it's harded to stick to your purpose when you are sad. It can be a reminder, yes. But ultimately, it reminds you because you remember "happiness".
>>
ESCAAPPPE FROOM THIS AFFTEERLLIIIFFEEE
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.