[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
20 years old and still living with parents but I want to move
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
20 years old and still living with parents but I want to move out and stop being a loser. I don't have shit for an education, not even a high school diploma. So /adv/ can you support yourself on a minimum wage job or should I at least try for a GED
>>
>>16545742
go for a GED
>>
>>16545742
>So /adv/ can you support yourself on a minimum wage job
Depending on where you live it's possible, but chances are it will be a struggle.

>or should I at least try for a GED
You absolutely should. Any higher-than-minimum wage job will require this at the very least.

Before you pack up everything and leave you should really give some hard thought into moving out though. If your parents are offering their home to you while you make a foundation for yourself you should take it. You don't want to move out, find out it isn't financially feasible and then have to come back.
>>
>>16545742
If all possible get a roommate.
>>
>>16545742
ged test is easy as fuck. dont bother with the prep classes or anything unless youre retarded. i had one of the highest scores in the state on the ged, which doesnt say much at all, other than showing how fucking easy it is. look for work in factories or warehouses, ups pays well, construction if you can get it, landscaping, general labor, etc. you dont have to settle for a shit wage despite your lack of education. also, driving for uber is decent if you have a car
>>
>>16545742
>So /adv/ can you support yourself on a minimum wage job
You can, if you have enough roommates to split rent and bills, you eat a shit diet, and are okay with having no money left over for fun or security.
>>
At least try for a GED or see if you can get into an accelerated HS program and work your ass off (that's what I did) otherwise realistically you're going to get stuck in that minimum wage job for the rest of your life and look back thinking "Why the fuck didn't I do this when I was 20"... I know you probably feel like you're way behind the curve, but believe me it's way worse when you're 25, 30, 35, 40 etc. I was in a similar situation where I didn't go to HS until I was 17 and graduated in less than a year. Went to college, didn't graduate, but it gave me enough connections to get a job that pays great.
Stick in there anon.
>>
>>16545742
no GED is hard
even just GED/HS is hard
heck even Undergrad/Masters is hard
who ami kidding, phds (except for math) dont make 300k a year

But people will need to make sure you can at least stick with your word (finishing degrees/GED) and be good at it (high grades).

That's it.

Find a problem domain, or pursue an interest. Take a gamble. Be an artist. You're young.

At the very least, get your GED
>>
>>16545742
Do it op, its never to late to better yourself id even recommend pursuing a degree while you're at it. It will not only benefit you but be something you can look at as an accomplishment.
Lifes rough op, make the best out of what you can!
>>
You are able to support yourself on full-time or nearly full-time minimum wage if you're very frugal, live in a place with low cost-of-living, and are able to split rent with a roommate.

I don't have much experience anywhere besides the southeast US, Georgia specifically. But cost of living and rent here is quite low, and minimum wage is $7.25/hr. It is certainly doable. If you were making 7.25 somewhere in a metro area or somewhere else, you might not be able to do it viably. I would think that in areas with large costs of living, minimum wage would be quite a bit higher to compensate; or at least minimum wage jobs would be rather fewer, replaced with higher wages.

But get that GED. You've got all manner of resources at your disposal for free via the internet, I don't think there's much of an excuse not to be able to basically teach yourself the GED material. Never taken the GED though, but the HS graduation test was really laughable. Middle school shit.

Good luck, bud!
>>
>>16546190
Op here, I live in Texas. Would I be screwed if I tried living off a min.wage job in this state?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.