[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm about to graduate college with a degree in psychology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: downs.jpg (44 KB, 628x628) Image search: [Google]
downs.jpg
44 KB, 628x628
I'm about to graduate college with a degree in psychology and a 2.5 GPA. I have Asperger's and pretty severe depression and anxiety. I have no practical skills. Am I fucked for life?

I've started to realize that I don't like psychology at all and I want a job in something practical. I want to get good at something and do jobs where I do that to make money. I have no plans on ever having kids and I doubt I'll get married for a long time so I don't feel the need to make very large amounts of money. Would it be worth getting an associates? I live near a community college with pretty decent programs and my parents are willing to pay for pretty much anything as long as I'm not being a total fuck like I was throughout college. Sorry my post is totally incoherent, I've been up all night stressing myself.
>>
>>16544819
Also, my parents live in a rich suburb that's incredibly boring, I took a semester off to work there at a grocery store (lol) and it was soul-crushingly boring. I want to start living self-sufficiently somewhere that doesn't suck as soon as I can.
>>
>>16544819
The degree itself isn't problematic, but your GPA is a bit of an issue. I suggest you just try and get a job, your GPA suggests you're not the best at studying, so you're probably better off in 'the real world' instead of trying to get another qualification
>>
>>16544825
>>16544825
I was in computer science for a year and a half, which I suck at, so that's part of why it's low. The other issue was being depressed and anxious, I didn't have a good group of friends until basically my last year of school and I was a virgin until a few weeks ago. I feel a lot more confident now but mostly I just want to be self-sufficient without being alone all the time. Most of the reason I want to get an associate's is that I want to have a marketable skill. I was thinking of doing something with computers (applied technical shit, not programming) or nursing, both of which the community college near me has good programs for.
>>
>>16544824
>my parents live in a rich suburb
>fucked for life
No, you can leech off them
>>
>>16544859
They won't pay for me unless I'm taking steps to NOT have to leech off of them
>>
>>16544819
Are you motivated to help people? You could move into social work or therapy, perhaps for people with your condition.
>>
>>16545090
My mom is a therapist and it sounds really shitty and depressing, I like doing stuff where someone tells me to build/fix/do something and I get paid to do it. I like really practical stuff where you get good at something and get paid to do it as opposed to psychology or computer science where you need to become familiar with a whole body of research. I'm curious as to what steps I should take if I want a job like that, right now I'm looking at getting an associate's degree in either computer information systems, nursing, or some sort of engineering technology.

Someone let me know if my plan sounds dumb. Pls respond.
>>
>>16545090

Also, I realize this is a shitty thing to say but I'd rather not work with disabled people because I really don't like or get along well with other people with asperger's/autism. I've only had a few friends ever who I know or suspect have the 'tism.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.