[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am absolutely lost right now. Please help me!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: flatline.jpg (24 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
flatline.jpg
24 KB, 460x276
4chan - please help me.

My father died 6 days before his 50th birthday, after a week-long coma and it just seems like it never happened --- it was just a bad dream. And now I keep thinking there's just a void after death and we'll all be in that void.

TL;DR -
>dad died
>afraid death is the end of everything
>still can't handle reality.

TIA.
>>
>>16542151
Death is the end, but its a lot better than never dying, magine existing forever, seeing alll you know die before you and existance becoming so boring and a torture. The best bit is that you wont know youre dead when you're dead
>>
>>16542151

it's okay. everything is just going to be okay. just remember that.
>>
Death IS the end anon.

Don't be sad about what's gone, be happy for what you had. It's gonna be hard no matter what. I wish I was dead, your father is in a better place now
>>
>>16542174
That is what i'm trying to say -- everyone says he's in a better place. What better place? Under the ground? In heaven (if heaven even exists)?
>>
>>16542176
Nothingness.

Life sucks anon. I would love to be part f that void.

The people talking to you are probably religious, referring to heaven because they're afraid of the nothingness. Regardless of what you believe happens after death, I assure you it's better than life
>>
>>16542181
i seriously need to rest. I want to have something after I die. There can't be an eternal oblivion.

It's really too late for this shit
>>
>>16542181
also OP I'm probably not the best person to give advice

I came to /adv/ to get help with my depression and how much I want to end my life, I just try to give back and help other people while I'm here.

Sorry if I'm too grim
>>
Human brains are hard wired for spiritual activity. The reason for this is for there to be a connection to a location where we can exist forever, but it only works well if we're in the right mindset. It could be said that the point of this life is merely to prepare your soul for eternal life.

I don't know how exactly it works. You can't know until you get there.
>>
>>16542188
so i guess we're both depressed but just think - live to the max, and make the best use of this life for one day you shall be in that unkown we call nothingness. I just want to know what s after death.
>>
>>16542185
It's not oblivion.

Remember life before you were born?

It's like that
>>
>>16542151
Death isn't the end if you pass on your genes.
>>
>>16542197
that's just the point - i don't remember it.

So that means that I lived years and years with my father and now he is nothing? He doesn't acknowledge he is alive, or what is life?
This conversation is depressing me even more
>>
>>16542212
Your dad isn't dead, you are your dad he passed on his genes so he wouldn't die.
>>
>>16542212
That's EXACTLY the point. You don't remember it. Nothing will matter

The time you spent with you father isn't nothing. You die twice, when you physically die and the last time you're ever thought of

Keep your father alive.
>>
>>16542193
Either an environment ideally suited for housing a human consciousness outside of our bodies, or anything else. It depends on what mindset you're in.

The universe is a much larger and complicated place than we can perceive. There may be more dimensions that we have yet to discover, or the universe may be a simulation, which means we're a simulation, which means we can readily be moved from one simulation to another. But because our brains and the universe are so complicated, it's much more likely that something will go wrong if you're not thinking properly about this. It would take nothing short of divine intervention to get us out of this life fully intact...so it does. That is why focusing on the way, the truth, and the life, is so important.
>>
I for one am glad that nothing really matters.
Death is natural, its in nature, even in stars.Maybe there isn't anything after death, maybe there is...the simple fact that I am conscience to experience all of this is enough for me to be grateful regardless of the outcome after my life.
>>
>>16542212
I think he's talking about reincarnation or that weird idea that babies wait in Heaven to be born...except that doesn't make any sense. Humans are born to create more souls, not house ones that already exist. If they did already exist (assuming no reincarnation), then why send them away? What would be the point?
>>
>>16542236
trial and error i guess.
people aren't usually very flexible in their beliefs in their lifetime, so trying different scenarios(different lives) might have higher chances to lead to an end goal ( nirvana, i guess? )
my 2 cents
>>
>>16542220
This.
>>
File: 170px-Skullclose.jpg (10 KB, 170x255) Image search: [Google]
170px-Skullclose.jpg
10 KB, 170x255
Thanks for your answers, everyone. I guess death is a mystery we will only solve when we reach it.
I'm off to rest and reflect a bit. You helped alot.
>>
This thread made me think as well. Pretty much the only reason (Muslim here) I'm religious is the Afterlife. If there was any solid proof that this world is eternal and that we are born anew each time, or that there is some other plane of existence on this world in which the dead live or anything like that, then I'd dump my current ways and live this life to it's fullest. For now, I find solace in religion and the most basic principle of next life - be good - you will enjoy eternally; be bad - you will suffer for a while (you can pose the questions of time on the other world and when do you reach enjoyment). In the end, what happens after death is a mystery, as some anon said here, that we will uncover once we reach it, a belief if you will. I believe that as long as this world exists (don't know if it's an Islamic principle but I couldn't care less now) people will never truly die - they just pass away somewhere while their spirit lives on, in form of children first and material creations second (whether it's a house, a book, an idea etc.). When they become forgotten - that's when they die. As long as you remember your father he will live. Stay strong OP.
>>
Well, I've been reflecting now and I almost forgot about this thread.

Oh well, I can only say, I'm glad to help anyone who reads this thread and I'll be happy to help! Anyone who needs support, just bump this thread and keep it alive for afterlife/oblivion discussion! From now on i'll just be called OP for distinction reasons.

Thanks everyone for the support given!
>>
File: 1355703384405.jpg (65 KB, 675x539) Image search: [Google]
1355703384405.jpg
65 KB, 675x539
>>16542151
This helped me with my own personal crisis in confronting death. I'm sorry that you experienced this pain. You're not alone, OP. Allow yourself to grieve, and feel all of the anger and sadness and grief that you need...but then you need to find help. You need to reach out to your support system and use them to get further perspective and closure. Seek professional help if necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK1BJkBJdtY
>>
File: transferir.jpg (6 KB, 186x186) Image search: [Google]
transferir.jpg
6 KB, 186x186
>>16542586
I personally never had heard of Alan Watts before, and goddamn, he is amazing. His speeches inspire me and made me think. Thank you so much, anon!
>>
>>16542710
Not that guy, but you should check out AC Grayling aswell. He'a humanist philosophy proffessor.
>>
yet another bump. It's quiet around here,
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.