[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest opinion with proof
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: DARE-America-Logo.gif (61 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
DARE-America-Logo.gif
61 KB, 500x379
do you believe that DARE works (essay for finals)
>>
Go look up some drug data year over year. If the percentage of drug use per capita since DARE started decreases, it works. If not, it doesn't work.
>>
>>16540910
>honest opinion with proof
We're not doing your homework for you. But, there were studies that showed it didn't work.
>>
>>16540910
This is as easy as looking at drug use statistics and crimes related to drugs since dares inception. If the numbers are up say it isnt working and if theyre down then say it is.
>>
no no i don't want you to do my homework i just want your opinion. from your point of view do you believe that a program where a cop goes in a room and teaches about drugs and safety works.
>>
To a certain extent yes, I think it is helpful. It isn't as effective when said cop teaches that all drugs are bad, m'kay, because when kids find out weed isn't that bad, they may think heroin isn't so bad eother, etc.
>>
>>16540910
according to my shitty nelson drugs textbook

The pro is that it educates children on information about drugs concerning consequences and side effects. This, combined with the usual scare tactic propaganda shit and the whole public commitment oath to the class about not doing drugs should theoretically reduce drug use among adolescents.

IRL, it exposes more children to drugs than they've known about, rousing their curiosity to perhaps try them. DARE has effectively gotten more students to use drugs like cannabis/alcohol/ nicotine, but it also keeps the users at a minimal engagement level. This means that more people are willing to experiment, but are informed enough to not get shitface wasted to a point of causing fatal consequences
>>
>>16540966
>sameguy
as for the cop part, all his position does is allow him to tell stories about past arrests and possible incarcerations, but your typical criminology textbook would tell you that emphasizing punitive measures doesn't reduce the crime rate. After all, criminals don't give a fuck about the sentence if they won't get caught.

As for my personal experience I don't remember a thing from DARE. It was focused on gr.5/6 youths advancing into high school and all I could remember was something about "how to make people smoke less"
Didn't fucking help since a bunch of my friends ended up smoking cigarettes/ marijuana/ drinking/ doing coke and getting fucking stabbed for arguing with the dealer
>>
>>16540910
Do your own homework.
>>
It works if you're sufficiently scared into playing by the rules, like I was because I had a disgusting sense of humor when I was young and because I had issues controlling my emotions and was therefore subject to more visits to psychologists and brain drugs every time I was sent to the principal's office thanks to paranoid, misled, and inexperienced parents. So now I get really nervous if I even think I've stepped out of line.

These days I don't do drugs for my own reasons, like not wanting to get pulled into another bad habit or thinking it's a total waste of time trying to re-learn how to function while in an altered state of consciousness when it's pretty damn clear that even after a beer everything just feels wrong, it's all out of size and position and I can't imagine anything else would make reality any less messed up. Not to mention I don't want to consign myself to oblivion at the end of my life from screwing up my brain too much. It's just a layer of complexity that I don't need in my life that I'd gain very little from having because not only is it horrifying to me, I don't even have friends to get the social approval from doing something stupid to yourself.
>>
>>16540910
Get off 4chan and write your essay. we're not doing it for you
>>
showing me all the effects of smoking cigs made me never want to try them

however I do smoke weed and drink all the time

it may work to a certain extent to educate on the effects of harder drugs and deter that, but not for shit like weed or alcohol
>>
>>16540910
you're missing the point... as usual...

so, dude, this one time my first year of college, my friends and i were at this punk show and we all dared this kid scott gale to go to the thirteen curves (a haunted curvy section of road in the woods in the burbs) and take a scarecrow and throw it out of the woods in front of a car. we all agreed to pay for his denny's for a month if he did it...
>>
>>16540910
At spreading awareness, yes. But at stopping drug abuse? Hell fucking no. Think about it, remember this from back in the 90's to those who were around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTYXZ0qZZEA

If you love TMNT as a kid or any super heros you watched back then, you listen to mostly every word they said especially psa. However, when you hit teens or go to college, you at least had encounter with drugs or alcohol because everyone is doing it and having fun and you want to un wind. That's not even the problem, it has to do with addiction and people will do what they want. All of this shit is just to spread awareness. Awareness is a good deterent, but the choice is entirley up to the individual
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.