[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career vs. Dreams
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1418606952880.jpg (100 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1418606952880.jpg
100 KB, 612x612
Is it better to chase your dreams or a stable career?

I've been in a band for eight years with my best friend. A few months ago we were offered a recording deal with a decently famous producer. It's fairly cheap considering who it is, and is just about a dream come true, however, I've never had more doubt in my mind about chasing this path. I just landed a job making about 31k a year, with a lot of opportunity to move up and start making 40-50k over the next several years. I'm 22 with only a high school education so it's just about the best I could hope for unless my band took off.

If I go record with the band we'll have to go on tour, and I'll likely have to leave my job to do this.

I live with my bandmates which makes it an even more delicate situation.

Help me /adv/ :(
>>
you do realize that the music industry collapsed like 15 years ago, right?

btw do you have a sample of your music?
>>
Imo you're still young, even if the music doesn't work out what stops you from finding out? Worst case scenario you need to find a job some years later. I guess it depends on how much you value a steady job.

This is coming from someone who's going all out on a classical music career. Proceed to utilize said advice with caution.
>>
Unless you have kids or some other responsibility you haven't mentioned, you have nothing to lose in the band scenario OP. Heck you can even go back to school if the band thing doesn't work out. At least you'll have some cool stories to share.
>>
As long as you don't sound like anyone else and people love you, and you love what you do you'll figure it out. Honestly you do not want to keep that job and find out too late that you should have seen what the band could have given you in terms of experiences.
>>
Well I hate to be the one to break it to you, but even 50k ain't shit, let alone 31k. You'd have better hopes living a comfy life by chasing your dreams. A job like the one you're currently in isn't that hard to find.
>>
>>16540136
>what the band could have given you in terms of experiences.

That's definitely my other big fear. I don't want to end up being my band's Pete Best, stuck at home while they're out having fun. I also don't know if I want to starve it out in a van for weeks at a time when it might not be a success.
>>
>>16540172

Literally starve it out?
>>
>>16540050
You got something that most wont achieve. Go for it. 31K job just gets you ramen in an ikea bowl. This dream thats going to probably unfold is a real test that will make or break you. Hell it can open other doors. You got to work hard for this dream. Be confident, OP. Take the risk. What are you waiting for?
>>
>>16540266
Uhh you can live ALOT better than that on 31K but alright
>>
>>16540050

You'll always regret not going for it with your band.

You are still young.

Sounds like you want the comfortable route though.

Most people in famous bands wouldn't even think there is a choice here though.
>>
>>16540271
31K a year, yeah.. where? In Uganda? The Congo. Hell, 50k a year doesnt cut it much these days. Dude go for it. You never know
>>
>>16540294
>31K a year, yeah.. where? In Uganda? The Congo. Hell, 50k a year doesnt cut it much these days.
wut

In my household, we have two people living off less than 30k (southern US), no assistance and no illegal shit. We have a nice house and two cars, come from poor backgrounds, etc. But we do well enough and don't go without anything we need. If you frivolously throw money around, and you don't know what you're doing, of course it'll be hard for you to imagine.
>>
>>16540331
Or it could be because I'm thinking like a city dweller because I was born/raised/and still live in one of the major US cities. Much different out here than down south. 31k doesnt cut it much out here. It costs more so if your not making way more than that, you have to live within your means.
>Inb4 thats your problem you can move
Im working on that.

My point
If you want to stay and work for the job instead of your band then fine, but like I said you have something that not everyone could achieve. The worst that can happen? Your band doesnt become the next biggest thing however, other doors can be opened. Thats why I said go for it because the opourtunity may never cone agaib, but the choice is entirely yours.
>>
Go for it OP. I'm 18 so my advice probably isn't nearly as valuable as others, but go for your fucking dreams. I know the position you're in, and I'm also in a couple bands myself. Do what makes you happy man, and it doesn't work out, it wasn't meant to be. It all works out in the end my friend
>>
>>16540050

Probably better to chase your dreams in this case, though don't forget where you will be if you fail.
>>
Thanks for all the /adv/, seems like going after what I want is the best choice. Maybe it's just cold feet.
>>
>>16540050
>31k a year, opportunity for 40-50k
I don't know the whole story but this doesn't seem to be an extraordinary salary.
On the other hand, your band opportunity could very well be a once-in-a-lifetime thing, you should go for it.

And even if it goes to shit, if you explain this experience to HR people when looking for a job, it will appeal to them (you followed your path, you were determined, blahblahblah).
>>
>>16540266

I agree, brave on OP.
The power of thinking big
>>
>>16540266
>>16540144
>>16540271
>>16540294
>>16540791

Not really on topic, but can a murrica anon explain me how 30-50k is not a good salary?

I'm from Europe, earning about 35k/year before taxes and when it's not being rich, it easily place me in the middle upper class.

So,are salary this different between USA and yurop? Did life cost that much in murrica?
>>
>>16541114
I'm >>16540791 and french. 30k-50k€ is not a bad salary here, but nothing extraordinary.

Also with 35k€ you are nowhere near upper-middle class in France and in the whole western Europe, where are you from?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.