[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there really any genuine danger or downside to cutting yourself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: unmerciful.jpg (126 KB, 570x429) Image search: [Google]
unmerciful.jpg
126 KB, 570x429
Is there really any genuine danger or downside to cutting yourself to regulate mood swings?
>>
Its indulging your mental illness by replacing existential pain with physical pain, and is a sign of weakness.

Are you currently getting treatment for your bi-polar disorder?
>>
File: 1449291626390.jpg (98 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449291626390.jpg
98 KB, 640x480
>>16538837
>Is there really any genuine danger or downside to cutting yourself to regulate mood swings?
yes
>>
>>16538845
I've been tested for everything and I didn't have anything that'd require treatment.
>>
>>16538864
did you tell them that you have thoughts of harming yourself?
>>
>>16538880
I showed them the marks.
>>
>>16538837
You will be unappealing to mates.

And when you have kids you must explain it.
From someone who cut as a teen
>>
>>16538837
ExMple: i cut as a 15 year old girl but
Cut deep.

When i went into labor at an ER they stopped to eval my cuts and ask several questions.

There was nothing close
To fresh but if you are a girl with fresh cuts in labor youll be talking to protective services or if they are old you will be questioned unless your original OB is there.

And yourkids will grow up and say mommy why?
>>
>>16538888
so basically they're just harmless scrapes?
>>
>>16538938
Kek
>>
>>16538925
I am infertile, and unappealing to mates to begin with. The scars are only a hair on a bowl of rotten fish.

>>16538934
I am infertile and can't handle sex. The old scars are too faded to be obviously visible now, and the only reason why they were ever that visible was because they were all inflamed. I don't do cuts that big or deep anymore.
>>
>>16538837
yeah, everyone will know what a faggot you are
example:
>get grill
>get back to her place
>clothing removal initiated
>i notice obvious self inflicted scars
>nope.exe
i left immediately, didnt call her again
>>
>>16538949
Thank goodness that never happened to me!
>>
>>16538837
I don't know how long you've been doing that nor how old you are but it's a bad idea regardless.

If you cut deep (like the fat tissue), there's a real risk of infection.

If you have visible scars, they can reflect a bad image of yourself. It's shameful.

If you wish to hide them all the time (since I stopped cutting I gave up on that though) it can be socially very isolating (eg having to wear long sleeves and never going out to swim if you're young, etc.).

It can also affect everyone around you since no one that cares wants to see you hurting (I'm not saying this is a reason to stop, but it's something to at least consider if you're on the path of recovery).

I found it very addictive. Maybe that's just my personnality though.
>>
>>16538949
>not attracted to women
>not attractive to men
>nobody is ever going to see me naked
>>
>>16538969
I started it at like 15 for medical attention. It didn't work, so I just sort of quit and have now picked it up again as a coping mechanism. I don't cut deep (right now all I have to work with is the separated blade of a pencil eraser, so needless to say they're scrapes), I only cut my legs, and I don't swim, wear shorts, or have a social life of that kind.
>>
>>16538969
Yeah i found it somewhat addictive but once i escaped the triggering situation i didnt cut again
>>
>>16538980
It just feels better than masturbating.
>>
>>16538837
How would there NOT be a downside? Regardless of how justified your other reason may be (they're probably not, though).
>>
>>16538996
Well, either I get myself hurt in the relative comfort, safety and dignity of my own room or I'll go out there and put myself in harm's way some other way.
>>
>>16538979
I understand that it's a coping mechanism. What's so scary about it is that is works, in its fucked way. It makes you feel really really good in the moment but it doesn't solve anything, it doesn't better you and it doesn't stop self-doubt and hate (in fact I found that it fuels it since it's a heavy secret to bear).

>>16538979
Be careful with it though. I used that kind of blade and three years later the scars are white, still visible and won't fade away. Don't cut your arms, it's a lot more addictive and "rewarding".

>>16538986
True. Though masturbation helped me quit.
>>
File: 2015-12-06 23.52.41.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-06 23.52.41.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>16539077
I have tried to masturbate, I really have for years now, and cutting still feels better.

I mean I'm just scraping tonight but it feels so much genuinely better than the vibrator.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
My upper atm
>>
>>16539083
Maybe it would be better if you tried to solve what's making you want to cut rather than simply focusing on cutting. You have to replace it with a healthier coping mechanism if you want to stop for good. You've said in another post that you've tried therapy, was it helpful? Could you seek another professionnal?

And if you're not looking to stop, don't completely give up on your mental health either. Take care of yourself and be as responsible as you can with cutting. Even if it's not deep, all self-injury is serious.
>>
File: 2015-12-07 00.12.56.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-07 00.12.56.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>16539124
There is no healthier mechanism. This is literally the healthiest option. This is the nicotine patch.

Like I said I tried to get help. They didn't feel like I needed any.

I started sending pictures of them to guys on grindr just to see what'd happen. So far there's been no reaction, save for one dude asking for more.
>>
>>16539144
Are you gay?
>>
>>16539149
Yes.
>>
>>16539155
Top fucking kek anon just off yourself already faggot.
>>
>>16539159
I dont think gay culture will take kindly to this
>>
>>16539144
>There is no healthier mechanism. This is literally the healthiest option. This is the nicotine patch.

I used to think that way too, but I managed to get away from my triggers and deal better with my emotions. I'm not saying it's easy, but there is a way out that doesn't involve more hurt.

>I started sending pictures of them to guys on grindr just to see what'd happen. So far there's been no reaction, save for one dude asking for more.

I wouldn't do that desu. I think it's weird and not really respectful. If you want to share pictures without surprising people, there's a subreddit and plenty of tumblrs dedicated to that.
>>
>>16539217
There are no triggers. I just need to get down from the random fits of despair that happen for no reason. Being sober is a trigger.

Also, if I didn't want to see a picture of his dick, and he didn't want to see a picture of my leg, that only makes us even.
>>
>>16539238
Butz its gay so of course u want his dick
>>
>>16539260
no, I actually hate sex and receiving dick pics makes me feel used, offended, hurt and unsafe.
>>
File: ee4.png (582 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ee4.png
582 KB, 600x600
>>16539166
>gay culture
>>
>>16539238
>Also, if I didn't want to see a picture of his dick, and he didn't want to see a picture of my leg, that only makes us even.

Yeah that was a pretty good reason to send it, he seems like an asshole.
>>
>>16539364
He??

I've made that same reply to THREE dick pics tonight.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.