[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Australian born Asian fag here. Boyfriend is Australian, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_nu9unr6BjZ1qinh1vo1_250.jpg (49 KB, 250x347) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu9unr6BjZ1qinh1vo1_250.jpg
49 KB, 250x347
Australian born Asian fag here. Boyfriend is Australian, and VERY Australian. We've been dating for quite awhile, and we're both now seriously committed to the relationship.

Now that we're serious about it I invited him and my parents over to have dinner at mine. He was an absolute sweetheart and was very charming. Although there were communication issues (parents don't speak english, boyfriend doesn't speak chinese), he did his best and I think he made a good impression. However, my mum found a pack of cigarettes lying around the coffee table. My mum questioned whether or not they were mine. I don't smoke, they were my boyfriends. My parents immediately left and later that night they called me and told me they didn't approve of me dating a smoker let alone a white guy. I don't like him smoking either and I tell him that, but the final decision is his. I'm not going to force him to quit smoking down his throat.

How do I soothe the relationship between my boyfriend and my parents?
>>
>>16537315
Omg that is very tough
I'm Chinese Australian too and I can understand why your parents are so unhappy
>>
>>16537327
Anyway, adding to this, it helps if your bf has a job with a high income, wealthy parents, super large house, etc. If he does, tell your parents that.
>>
LOL CHINKS
GO BACK TO CHINA
Srs tho
Fuck your parents, who gives a fuck?

I am also AUSTRALIAN M8
>>
>>16537335
Doesn't have a high income, he's a primary school teacher. His parents are divorced and his mum (who single handedly raised him with 2 other kids) isn't rich. House isn't large. He doesn't have much wealth or materialistic value.
>>16537343
Just want to see if anyone has any advice, I'd like them to get along but obviously life isn't perfect. My parents will probably just have to deal with it and hopefully they'll get over it in time.
>>
>>16537368
>he's a primary school teacher.
That job ain't to bad. Is his job tenured though?
>>
>>16537371
Yep. It's just not as glorious of a job as my parents hoped (as compared to my siblings who're married to engineers and surgeons)
>>
I have a Chinese American friend.... His parents are billionaires and don't like this girl he brought around... She is beautiful, sweet, and in law school. Said she isn't pretty and her senpai dont have enough money... theyre both Dr.s kek.

OP, I'd advise you just not talk about him. Don't argue with your parents or contradict their opinion. Wait a month, then have HIM invite them to dinner and pay for it (you could reimburse him quietly) and tell him to make a big effort to be social and get to know them better.
>>
>>16537394
It is all relative. And yeah, it seems bad compared to your siblings.
Are you rich yourself? What is your job? Do you value your partner's wealth like traditional Chinese people?
>>
Who the fuck leaves their deck on the table??? Christ sakes, in Australia that shit gets pocketed in seconds.
>>
>>16537399
Cheers.
>>16537407
Not really. I'm a vet and I do art/painting commissions on the side. I personally don't really care for wealth, as long as he's surviving and not living on beans and rice.
>>
>>16537438
Vet should not be too different from primary teacher or engineer (at least in Hong Kong)
Are you culturally more Chinese or Aussie
>>
>>16537449
I'm personally more Aussie culturally, I was born and raised in Australia. Parents are still quite traditional though. They weren't too thrilled with me pursuing to become a vet but they pretty much gave up, my previous plan during high school was to drop out and work on my art full time haha
>>
>>16537456
>They weren't too thrilled with me pursuing to become a vet
I know. Chinese people think vet school is for people who can't get into med school.
Secondhand smoke is harmful for you though.
>>
>>16537456
Are you male or female?

Do you have a sibling they can depend upon to produce the requisite grand children? As for the rest, well, marrying outside the race means a big culture shock for them and the potential loss of somewhere to live and to be part of your family, the fear of you adopting western customs instead of being the dutiful Chinese wife.

So many these days are wanting to adopt western customs and the previous generation is not ready for it.

Good luck.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.