[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A different kind of housewife
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: tigermom.jpg (629 KB, 1460x974) Image search: [Google]
tigermom.jpg
629 KB, 1460x974
It seems like every housewife or stay-at-home-mother has the same hobbies:

> baking
> cooking
> cleaning
> crafting
> taking pictures of the foods and crafts they made
> writing blog entries about their children
> running a blog showing all of it off

Are there any housewives or stay-at-home mothers who like to program software? Such as writing scripts or making apps.

Does anyone know of any blog that features such a woman?
>>
>>16536989
If you want to do that, just go do that. Why do you need the validation of others to be the kind of person you want to be?
>>
Note that all of those interests you listed tie heavily into actually being a stay at home mother. A woman who's taking care of the household will either learn to like cooking or cleaning, or become very frustrated.

Are there women who like to code? Sure. But they're more likely to pursue a career.
>>
>>16537001
I just want to see if other women are doing the same thing and how they are. So far, I haven't found a single one, and isn't that a little odd?
>>
>>16537019
But what about the photography and running of a website?

Learning how to use camera and deal with the lenses is a skill, as is web design and learning HTML/CSS and whatever other scripts they want to add to their site. I don't see how it's different from writing scripts or making apps that have a cleaning or cooking theme.
>>
I'm actually surprised there isn't a wider range of hobbies among housewives. They have the most free time of any human being, and yet they tend to choose the same 3-5 hobbies.
>>
>>16537445
Tindr
Ashley Madison
Facebook
Instagram
Snapchat

Those are the hobbies of the housewives I know.
>>
>>16537483
>women
>on ashley madison
kek
>>
0/10 b8
>>
>>16537489
Why is it ridiculous for women to have different hobbies? Children are in the same position as housewives, they have their home, food and living expenses paid for, and lots of free time. Children have a wide array of hobbies and passions, and yet, housewives are almost identical. It's strange.
>>
Why woukd this be strange? The hobbies you name are stuff housewives actually have to do anyway. They took their hobbies and made them their job.
If their hobby would be to program software they would work as a coder.
>>
>>16537510
That logic would work for a man, but for biological reasons, it's often mandatory for a woman to exit the workforce and stay at home for 3+ years. Someone has to make their boobs available. Since almost all women have to at one point in their lives, work as a housewife, then you'd expect a wider range of hobbies.

Obviously once the child is old enough to go to school, women can go back to their normal jobs.
>>
>>16536989
>stay at home
> cooking
> cleaning
> crafting
> smoking bongs
>>
Half the shit that men do prior to settling down and being a typical husband etc is simply testosterone fuelled competitiveness for validation or to attempt to get laid. Past a certain point in a relationship, especially when children get involved hobbies and interests turn into trying to find time to sit on your ass and watch your hairline and dreams retreat and recede. You might as well ask why every white collar wage slave has hobbies like getting drunk while trying to make minor anecdotes where they appeared slightly smarter than that one time in a highly specific way thank than those they work for. Or why blue collar workers like to get drunk and talk about how they cause the world to rotate because their job involves drinking coffee on site or en-route instead of in a 'nice warm and clearly effeminate' office.
>>
Hell, are there any stay at home moms who even play video games? That's what I'd do
>>
>>16537527
What? Moms here usually quit job for 1 and something year max, by the time kid is 1 year old, it can go to the nursery.
>>
>>16536989
Look around you for classes or clubs in these things. Your local community college will have inexpensive classes in photography or web design or creative writing or the like.
>>
>>16537550
The casual ganae market heavily relies on bored housewives. The majority of players (like, 40%) is a woman over 40 years old
>>
>>16537560
Really? 1 year? That seems rather short to be. I always thought that children that young go to nursery for 3 hours a day, to build up immunity and socialization, but not full time until age 4
>>
>>16537594
3 hours? We have special nurseries for children aged 1-3 and pretty much kids stay there until their parents come back from work (8-4). It seems to work pretty good. There's also an option that a man can take 6 months of maternity leave.
>>
>>16537607
Ah, then perhaps all the developer women are taking a year off, and then utilizing this 8-4 service. I just know some housewives who drop their kids off at 10 am and pick them up 3 hours later. I wasn't aware it could also be an all day service
>>
>>16537618
You live in USA? Maybe it's just a different system in different countries.

>>16536989
Glad to hear there's a housewife who has interests other than the ones that should actually be her job. And fuck family blogs, they're annoying and useless. My advice: if you like coding, really get into it and be that housewife with a programming blog!
>>
>>16537445
>They have the most free time of any human being
People who think this are one of the main reasons I dislike the term "NEET". It fails to acknowledge a number of important and dignified paths in life, and homemaming is one of them. Technically they AREN'T in employment, education, or training, yet to say that they don't work as long or as hard as most employed people is either profoundly ignorant or outright delusional.

This isn't to say it's uncommon. It has frankly been the norm, across every culture that has practiced living in permanent homes, since ancient times. Even cultures that claimed to honor the domestic role, such as the Romans, seldom gave more than lip service to the concept. Feminism has not helped matters either: the first wave actually got it right, but the second wave actively despised the role, and although the third wave carries less vitriol for homemaking, they fall into the same "homemaking is easy" trap that the rest of culture does.
>>
>>16537025
kudos to you op
>>
>>16537928
And what about employed women who do both their work AND everything around the house?
I'm not trying to devalue being a housewife, but the ones I met IRL are constantly complaining and exaggerating, they make it look like it's the hardest fucking job that ever existed.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 300x413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 300x413
While I will agree that many homemakers have hobbies centered around the home, I would guess that there are a fair number of homemakers with hobbies outside of the home.
My own hobbies include canning and gardening, but I have nmany hobbies outside the home as well. I enjoy hiking, foraging, snowshoeing, skiing, bird watching, going to cat shows and travel.
>>
>>16537968
>what about employed women who do both their work AND everything around the house?
What about them? They aren't homemakers.
>>
>>16536989

You forgot to add cheating on their husbands to your list.
>>
>>16537969
> hiking
> traveling
> snowshoeing
> going to cat conventions
Those "outside the home" hobbies, outside of the skiing and birdwatching, are essentially you're just walking around looking at things.

What about a hobby in which you actually increase a technical skill, such as playing an instrument, or create something, such as making Arduino devices?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>16538430
>What about a hobby in which you actually increase a technical skill
Canning, gardening, foraging, birding and skiing are skills.
I also enjoy baking, but that is something I tend to do in the winter.
>>
>>16538456
Yes, that's why I said "outside of skiing and birdwatching."

Want to post pictures of birds or yourself skiing?
>>
>>16537025
It's not that weird. If you enjoy cooking, cleaning etc it is more tempting to become a housewife than if you loathe them. Not to mention many women who find it important to stay at home with the kids or place no big value on having a job themselves are domestically inclined.

Having said that they no doubt exixst. I would just search more specific forums.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>16538479
Canning, gardening and foraging are still skills.
I won't post pics of me skiing, and I generally don't photograph the birds I see.
>>
>>16538456
Basically, I'm more interested in hobbies that are unrelated to the things that you should be doing as a housewife anyway.

You post fairly often and every post has a picture, but I don't recall ever hearing about your most recent ski training session or identifying local birds.

I'm looking for a housewife who blogs about a hobby that isn't related to her homework, such as:
> dance, ballet, tap, modern, etc
> playing an instrument, violin, piano, etc
> some type of sport, but not yoga
> programming, software, mobile apps, games, etc
> making things, woodshop, metal working, electrical
> Painting, the real kind, like landscapes, not making crafts
>>
>>16538500
I'm not saying they are not skills, those are just under the category of "things you should be doing as a housewife anyway"
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1825x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1825x2048
>>16538513
>You post fairly often and every post has a picture, but I don't recall ever hearing about your most recent ski training session or identifying local birds.
That's because when I come yo /adv/ it's to give advice. I purposely do not talk about my personal life that much. And I just started skiing last year. I'm not into any training, it's just faster than snowshoeing. Honestly, I took up skiing so that I could go out with my husband when he skis.

And no one wants to hear about the Stellars Jay that I saw Tuesday, or the magpie that likes to imitate the sound of big rig breaks that hangs around the house.
>>
>>16536989

I know a few stay at home moms. Some of them are really just homemakers, but those have 2+ children, so that's probably why. I know one who is a skilled photographer and graphic artist, one who is a grant writer, another who does freelance website support (no idea what that entails), and one who races horses in a carriage. Pretty sure the photographer/graphic artist one made her own version of photoshop using some existing code (GIMP I think) because there was some stuff with photoshop she disliked. There's a lot of different people out there, and in my experience, the more interesting people don't slow down to keep up with a shitty blog.

You need to meet more interesting people. Most people are boring. Most housewives are boring, but there are plenty of exceptions.
>>
>>16538614
Why would you think people would be bored about talking about birds? I know some ornithologists who would be offended by that
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>16539563
It's just that I mostly post in my own threads. Threads giving advice on cleaning, cooking, gardening etc. No one ever asks about birds in those threads.
>>
I'm a stay at home mom. I'm not good at scripting, but I'm trying to pick up a little bit here and there in my free time. My plan is to make a simple game on VX Ace for my son to play when he's old enough. Probably as a birthday gift. I've been itching to make sprites lately, but I can't really get started on that because he's too young for me to know what he'll like.

I don't actually get that much free time right now, he doesn't sleep very consistently, and I'm often asleep when he is. But I spend most of my free time playing video games, learning (usually about an animal), or drawing. I really want Adobe Flash. I know it's not as popular as it used to be, but I like to make little animations, and lack the tools to do so right now.

He'll probably scuba dive with me when he's older, I got my license at thirteen.

The reason that these hobbies aren't common for stay-at-homes is because they're not practical, and a lot of people get more satisfaction from building skills that can be used in their daily lives than dicking around with something frivolous.

>>16538614
Stellar's jays are goddamn beautiful. I don't have many flashy birds in my region. Cardinals, golden finches, and blue jays are the best I can usually see.
>>
>>16539645
*goldfinches

My bad.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.