[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career change?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
File: lake.jpg (163 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
lake.jpg
163 KB, 427x640
I'm a pharmacist in Australia. Managed to find a job despite the fact that the job market is saturated. What I love is teaching though. I took part in teaching voluntary programs during summer and I really enjoyed them, and I find teaching much more rewarding than my current job as a pharmacist.
Is a career change worth it?
>>
>>16536338
>Is a career change worth it?
Depends on what you mean by 'worth it'.
>>
>>16536358
>Depends on what you mean by 'worth it'.
I don't know where to start with how I define "worth it". Give me something to start with.
>>
File: 1447744882898.jpg (44 KB, 403x663) Image search: [Google]
1447744882898.jpg
44 KB, 403x663
Do it by taking night classes.
>>
>>16536412
So you recommend it?
>>
File: Old_Shambles_in_1904.jpg (70 KB, 694x456) Image search: [Google]
Old_Shambles_in_1904.jpg
70 KB, 694x456
>>16536415
Oh yeah. But there is no reason to drop everything and rush to get that teaching degree.
>>
>>16536427
No I mean a career change in general. Some people argue that people switch careers thinking that the grass is greener on the other side when it is not.
Another question - I have citizenship in another country. I am interested in working there (stayed there in the past and love it). Is it better for me to get a teaching degree there so that I can do a bit of networking there? It will be expensive though and means that I have to drop everything.
>>
Anon you had a small thin slice of what it feels to be a teacher. In reality you have deal with a bigger classroom, adminstration that pushes to pass the kid instead of failing him, angry teachers, staff that will drain you, students hitting on you and you gotta be chirper even if your life sucks.

Teaching isn't as great as you think it is and I fully warn you to go all in unless you are 100% sure.
>>
File: engrish-lol6.jpg (44 KB, 600x469) Image search: [Google]
engrish-lol6.jpg
44 KB, 600x469
>>16536437
Yes, I was referring to career changes in general. Do [whatever it is] via night classes.
>>
>>16536455
Yes I understand. This is what I am trying to ask with >>16536437 about a career change in general
>>
>>16536459
No, what I am asking if switching careers is actually a good thing. As >>16536455 said teaching can be stressful as well.
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 259x194
>>16536466
From what you said, it sounds like it would be good for you. People switch careers all the time now. And teaching is not that bad.
>>
>>16536366
What's important to you? Money? Intellectual stimulation? Flexible working hours? Job security? Freedom to do what you want in the work place? etc.
>>
>>16536491
Hmmm maybe I am romanticising it too much though. The other anon pointed out the bad aspects about teaching and that teaching during summer is different from teaching for the rest of your life. I don't think it is common for pharmacists to switch to another career.
Also, is it a good idea to get my teaching degree overseas? I want to teach there and see what life is like in a different country.
>>
>>16536496
>Money?
As long as I can live comfortable, it is ok.
Intellectual stimulation?
>Yes
Flexible working hours?
>Depends
Job security?
>Yes
Freedom to do what you want in the work place?
>Depends
>>
File: dennc58d-coil-saatchi.jpg (557 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dennc58d-coil-saatchi.jpg
557 KB, 1280x720
>>16536505
We only regret what we didn't do.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JET_Programme
>>
>>16536527
>We only regret what we didn't do.
Some people regret what they did though. An action may be bad in hindsight.
>>
File: 45029-3brothers02woman.jpg (186 KB, 620x371) Image search: [Google]
45029-3brothers02woman.jpg
186 KB, 620x371
>>16536546
No, they don't regret it. They regret not doing something before the mistake.
>>
>>16536569
Plenty do. Just type "I regret..." into Google and plenty of suggestions and results pop up. People regret changing careers, majoring in X, switching jobs, breaking up, moving to another area, investing in X scheme, etc.
>>
>>16536594
They regret not doing more research.
>>
>>16536601
I agree. I lot of people do X without much research.
How can I know I did enough research though? As >>16536455 said I only had a brief insight into life as a teacher.
>>
>>16536605
Do the research while not quitting your current job.
>>
>>16536698
>Do the research while not quitting your current job
Research about what? The job market? Income? And how? Talk to other teachers?
My parents were teachers and they advice me to stay as a pharmacist.
Researching is also different from actual experience. You can't know what something is like before actually experiencing it.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.