[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/ I really want to join the military, but I have all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: ptsd.jpg (35 KB, 499x388) Image search: [Google]
ptsd.jpg
35 KB, 499x388
Hey /adv/

I really want to join the military, but I have all the symptoms of Bipolar Disorder. I've had the symptoms for years but it's gotten dramatically worse over the last year.

What would you do if you were in my position;
>Join the military and hope it goes away
>Seek medical guidance

I can only do one, help = bar from military, military = keeping quiet for at least 2 years (or I'm in a traumatic situation and can blame that).
>>
if it's medically documented you have it, unless you hide that shit you're not getting in. Get guidance and move on dude.
>>
>>16533142
Not had any personal experience with this, but my brother has. First off, what branch of the military, and what country?
>>
>>16533157
It's not documented anywhere, hence why I can't decide to seek help or not. I've wanted to be in the military for years, I'm 22 now, I think I would make an excellent officer after training and some experience, but if these symptoms get any worse I could be fucked.

>>16533178
UK, thinking about joining signals
>>
>>16533193
Alright, so this was in the US, but I assume it's just about as strict everywhere else.
My brother, the same age as you at the time, was diagnosed with high anxiety, depression, and a light case of Bipolar. He kept it super covered up, but they eventually found out. They shipped his ass back home, slapped him with a few fines, and that was that.
So really, OP, what I'm getting at is that if you think you can handle yourself decently, until you can find a way to get help, and still be in the R Sigs, don't seek help. Just join. If it's really REALLY what you want to do, then it's worth it. But make sure you really want this.
Have some tits to think it over.
>>
>>16533193

Just join the military dude.

You'll be fine.

Do the research and treat it yourself, like a proper Victorian colonial man would.
>>
why would anyone want to join the fucking military?
>>
>>16533220
Not Op. I'm the tit poster. But it's appealing to some. The Military is actually my backup plan. I see no reaosn why not
>>
>>16533214
>>16533219
Thanks for your advice guys, appreciate it.
>>
>>16533237
Isnt this sfw???
>>
bump to see what the Americans think :]
>>
I hope you don't think that if you serve a few years and then get diagnosed and medicated, that they'll let you stay in.

They will discharge you. Whether they think it was a pre-existing condition or one acquired during service, it will only come into play when they decide which type of discharge they'll give you.

2 years ago I went into the army clinic to say that the grassy pollen-coated fields in Georgia were making me a bit wheezy during running, to see if they'd give me some allergy meds.

They held a stethoscope to me and said I have asthma and to this day I am still undergoing tests to prove I don't have asthma. From the day I said I got wheezy I was officially placed on a med board status and they want to boot me out if the doctors are convinced I have asthma. Even after I explained that I never had this issue anywhere else I've been stationed. Georgia just has terrible pollen issues and it didn't help that there was a paper plant nearby spreading shit-smelling fumes everywhere and firefighters doing controlled burns practically every fucking week.

So moral of the story is they don't keep sick people.
>>
>>16534302
I remember one guy I was at Navy basic with got separated because he had a slight dust allergy and was told to take zyrtec once a week. They found that out a week in and waited until he graduated to send him home
>>
>>16534315
Yup. I think people can get a false sense of security when the military starts medicating their conditions. They might think it implies the military is cool with your medical status and would rather fix you than boot you.

But really it's just that they're obligated to treat you until they're finished processing your discharge paperwork.
>>
>>16533142
>I really want to join the military, but I have all the symptoms of Bipolar Disorder.
What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>16534302
>>16534315
Again I appreciate your input, means a lot during this shitty ass couple of weeks I've been racking my brains with what to do now that I've finally admitted I have a problem.

If I were to go into the military, I would want to make it my life. I wouldn't want to do the 4 years min service then go back to civvy street because what would be the point. In which case that would effectively mean I'd be fucked for good, hoping it would just resolve itself. Doesn't sound too fantastic desu.
>>
>>16533157
Additionally, if your superiors find out you're hiding it you will be dishonorably discharged.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.