[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to find web design client fast?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7
File: webexample3.jpg (519 KB, 800x710) Image search: [Google]
webexample3.jpg
519 KB, 800x710
How to find a client for web design (icons, small illustrations) work fast?
The pic is not mine, but it's the style very close to my natural style. Nice colors, attention to detail.
The advantage for a client would be: that I would work cheap, cheaper than other people would (well, you get the point, I hope). Disadvantage: I need more time for the same work. Don't have a fancy resume and other shit. Just some talent and willingness to be hard working. Have work examples, but don't want to show them here, sorry. Want this to be anonymous. But I can show examples of work that I could do a cheaper version of.
UK.
>>
File: webexample.jpg (576 KB, 800x1143) Image search: [Google]
webexample.jpg
576 KB, 800x1143
>>
File: webexample4.jpg (359 KB, 800x493) Image search: [Google]
webexample4.jpg
359 KB, 800x493
>>
File: Flat_icon_set_-_xxl.jpg (1 MB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
Flat_icon_set_-_xxl.jpg
1 MB, 800x1200
>>
File: webexample6.jpg (219 KB, 783x522) Image search: [Google]
webexample6.jpg
219 KB, 783x522
>>
I have a very cheap lifestyle, that would allow me to do a work cheaper than other freelancers/studios would do (there are ways to make it even cheaper, hint hint). But how do I find people who are really my target audience? Not everyone would be interested in that kind of thing. Some people prefer to overpay and shit, just like some people don't like to download music and movies from torrents. My services would be like torrents version of web design, only it wouldn't be free, only cheaper. That's as best as I could describe it.

Any ideas, dear /adv/?
>>
Why do you need a client fast? I do web design and graphic design myself. If you sell yourself short you are going to get taken adventage of. Charge a min of 25 an hour and before you start any work get paid half upfront if they are serious they will do it. That way if they do not pay the rest upon completion at least you do not walk out empty handed.

Try contacting local bussinesss in your area or maybe doing a paid internship to build up your portfolio. For freelancing your portfolio and networking is very imporant.
>>
Where do I find those kinds of clients who want to save money and who don't look down on downloading shit from torrents? How do I communicate it best?
>>
>>16526650

You can actually make this interface? As in, from scratch, and without fucking up the layout?

As in, you can write all the css and make it work with bootstrap/ionic?

What the fuck is it that you actually do?

How much an hour?

>>16526693

>this shit

You guys never heard of, oh, you know, the major websites where people get web design/programming work? shaggy diggy?

You have a website OP?
>>
>>16526693
>Why do you need a client fast?
I'm short on money. I do have a portfolio, only problem is that it's dated and I don't have anything recent to show. So for me it's do or die. Like I've said though, I'm willing to compromise on price somehow. I believe that I'm more hard working than people born in UK are and I'm very sorry to think this way, I don't want to insult anyone. It's just that in my country we don't get any benefits, we don't get free shit from the government, so we have to be this way. That's how I see it anyway. You can throw tomatoes at me if you like, but unless you have good arguments against, that wouldn't change much.
>>
>>16526696

>downloading shit from torrents

What the fuck are you even talking about? How is this even a requirement? Is this a joke?
>>
>>16526684
You are just stealing designs then and reselling them? Again if you want people to take you serious you can not under pay yourself. Just because the economy shit and companies are taking advantage of that does not mean younneed to be one of the suckers.

What sets you apart from sites like godaddy and premade build your own sites? Do you have all your lisences for softwares if you get caught using pirated adobe softwares or student version for profit you could get fined a lot.

If you are not sure about yourself or how to get others attention I suggest maybe taking some graphic design courses or marketing.
>>
>>16526702
>You guys never heard of, oh, you know, the major websites where people get web design/programming work? shaggy diggy?
Those are too official. I don't know how to communicate that I'm one of those "torrent" designer types there, understand? How do I communicate that on sites like Behance? These are serious portfolio sites. I'll look out of place there with descriptions like "hey I will do a cheap work for you, hint hint".
>>
>>16526711
>You are just stealing designs then and reselling them?
Are you reading what I'm saying man? Never did I say anything like that. I wrote that I am capable of doing real work of a quality very similar to what I've posted. Only difference is time frames, I work slow. It's just my weak side. But I have a cheap lifestyle, so my idea is to try to make up for the slowness with a lesser price.
>>
>>16526702
Some people like freelancing better I like it better myself but it takes a certian type of person to stay motivated and organized. It really depends on your personality and goals I hate working at firms they burn you out.
>>
>>16526711
>You are just stealing designs then and reselling them?
However, have you heard the saying "good artists copy, great artists steal?". Many creative people obviously get influenced by different styles and works of other people. I'm not different from them, but that's not stealing, that's normal for that kind of work.
>>
>>16526714

>I'm one of those "torrent" designer types there, understand?

I really don't. I have no idea what you are talking about and you haven't answered any of my questions. If I were interviewing you, you would already be dropped. Genuinely.

>>16526730

I am talking about sites for freelance work.
>>
>>16526711
>Do you have all your lisences for softwares if you get caught using pirated adobe softwares or student version for profit you could get fined a lot.
I know many people who do that and who don't get fined. They just don't talk about it and are not afraid of it. That's the idea of "cheap". So, fears of getting fined for that are not for me. You're welcome to send me horror stories though.
>>
>>16526724
Broo. Do not charge less. Your speed picks up with experience. 20-25 an hour is min for a junior.

Your goal should be to do a couple good ones and get paid well. Look at it this way. Would you rather do 300 shit layouts for 3000 dollars or one good layout for 3000? You just need to sell yourself right.
>>
>>16526711
>What sets you apart from sites like godaddy and premade build your own sites? Do you have all your lisences for softwares if you get caught using pirated adobe softwares or student version for profit you could get fined a lot.
Of course, I don't do that myself. I'm just saying that people aren't going to check what a freelancer is using in his home. Right?
>>
>>16526739
Those freelance sites are a scam. Most take atleast 13% of your profit without even doing anything. You be better off doing local stuff then that junk. Its whatever you like I guess though.
>>
>>16526730
>Some people like freelancing better I like it better myself but it takes a certian type of person to stay motivated and organized. It really depends on your personality and goals I hate working at firms they burn you out.
I am that kind of person, at least I have to be. Working at firms also burns me out, that's why I'm asking this question and want to find clients as a freelancer.
>>
>>16526743
>Broo. Do not charge less. Your speed picks up with experience. 20-25 an hour is min for a junior.
Bro, I'm a slow worker. I have to compromise somehow. And I don't know how to market myself. I need to start again after a break (about 4 years, I know, that's quite long) somehow to get it going.
>>
>>16526744
You be very suprised.

Myself personally if I found out a designer I hired is using cracked versions of softwares I would go else where. Plus the fact if you open your own bussiness as a freelancer you can put your softwares you bought under your business costs and get some of the money back. If Canada you can get a lot of it back.
>>
>>16526746

I have no personal experience with them, but I know top level developers who use them, e.g. Todd Motto.

OP, why did you avoid my "technical" (i.e. pre 101) questions. I still don't understand what you are actually offering.
>>
>>16526744
>>16526755

If this is what OP means by "torrents", no one fucking cares. On the other hand, your pay should be such that you can afford software.
>>
>>16526753
Well. Anon what else do you do besides web design what are your certifications? What are your weaknesses and stregnths? What is your main goal? What makes you stand out compared to others? Is your mind weak or strong? Are you shy?
>>
>>16526757
I am sure they get better deals off those sites because they are already etablished. For what Op wants those sites will just get him in a rutt he be better off writting weird fetish ebooks than that.
>>
>>16526743
>You just need to sell yourself right.
I have limited abilities in that, any advice is welcome, but it needs to be suitable for my circumstances. I will repeat it: I am able to do work cheaper, because I'm not afraid of what other people are afraid of. I'm downloading music as many other people and nobody fined me for that. People who buy every song, every movie for fears of being fined can't help me with this, definitely. They don't understand where I'm coming from. I have to survive, and if I could be successful as some other people are, sit in front of an expensive iMac with 24" screen or whatever, I would do just that. But I can't. So I have to use something cheaper. I use OS X anyway.
>>
>>16526765

>Well. Anon what else do you do besides web design what are your certifications?

If he can do web design, it's enough. He hasn't answered a single web design question though.

>What are your weaknesses and stregnths?

Do you like long romantic walks in the park, or are you applying to a Fortune 500? Because this bs doesn't get asked at small company interviews.

>What is your main goal?

Are you serious?

>What makes you stand out compared to others?

Valid question. The only answer is to show an example of his work though.

>Is your mind weak or strong?

lol what?

>Are you shy?

lol what
>>
>>16526774

What the FUCK does torrenting music have to do with this at all? Are you going to tell your potential employer your preferred jerk off techniques?

What the fuck are you even talking about?

Goddamn, if this is a troll, you got me.
>>
>>16526732
Not really. A good designer only uses 5-1% inspiration. Try brain storming layouts by drawing them out by hand before you start coding them. I can bet money it will help your design flow and stop the need to copy.
>>
>>16526755
>If Canada you can get a lot of it back.
The world doesn't revolve around Canadas, dude. There are other countries, one of which is my birthplace.
> Myself personally if I found out a designer I hired is using cracked versions of softwares I would go else where.
Great to know.
>>
>>16526776
Holy fuck you are salty as fuck. Everyone is different you need to be able to sell yourself to stand out Op is having an issue with that is why I am asking these questions. There are millions of web designers. Go to /g/ if you want to have your bumhole shoved up with dragon dildos. This is /adv/ we give advice not to talk about how you know everything and that everyone else sucks.
>>
>>16526779
>What the FUCK does torrenting music have to do with this at all? Are you going to tell your potential employer your preferred jerk off techniques?
>What the fuck are you even talking about?
>Goddamn, if this is a troll, you got me.
You can't help me with this.
>>
>>16526781
I only said Canada because I own mine there. I am not sure how much other businesses get back else where.
>>
>>16526774
Its completely different though if you own a business and are making a profit for it. Adobe gives 2000 dollars to people who report companies using pirated or unlisenced software to make a profit. They are very strict about it no other company gets on people asses about it like they do. I am trying to help you out.
>>
>>16526779
I am trying to survive and have money to eat, while still doing something that I like to do. I don't aim at luxurious life of a web designer who has a top of the line PC/MAC, has 10000 followers on Behance, 2000 on Twitter. It's not realistic for me. It is not something I can have.

>>16526765
>Well. Anon what else do you do besides web design what are your certifications? What are your weaknesses and stregnths? What is your main goal? What makes you stand out compared to others? Is your mind weak or strong? Are you shy?
No certification, self-taught. English isn't my first language, I'm self-taught at it as well, you can judge how good I am at it, maybe it will give you a hint how good I am at web design as well.
Weaknesses: being slow. Strengths: perfectionist, ability to do a work close (not the same though, obviously, as this designer is known and is very good and I think well payed) to the examples I've posted, but need more time.
I am shy, yes.
>>
>>16526790

lol and I am the butthurt one?

>>16526791

If you wanted help, you would actually answer questions and explain what it is that you do.

>>16526809

Well, good luck to you I guess.
>>
>>16526809
Are you good at talking to clients and getting the information needed to properly go about the project? It sounds like it be really easy but it is something very frustrating you need to learn to set boundaries so that clients are not calling you waking up at 2am or that they leave out key information needed that they want.
In this day and age college does not teach you much but it is good to have atleast a certificate so you look more employable that you can adapt and learn in their eyes better.
>>
>>16526806
>Adobe gives 2000 dollars to people who report companies using pirated or unlisenced software to make a profit. They are very strict about it no other company gets on people asses about it like they do. I am trying to help you out.
I don't give a fuck about companies. I am a freelancer. Thanks for the information though. Many freelancers use pirated software and Adobe haven't done shit about it and is not going to. Half of the world lives this way, and these people do work finding clients on freelance sites like oDesk. People from India, Eastern Europe, Russia.
>>
>>16526827
People from India are still using quark do you want to be bunched in that group of freelancers?
>>
>>16526822
>Are you good at talking to clients and getting the information needed to properly go about the project?
I am better at reading comprehension than some who replied in this thread. I am slow, I'm bad at talking face to face, but yes, I know about the importance of getting all the details of the project in writing (text).
> In this day and age college does not teach you much but it is good to have atleast a certificate so you look more employable that you can adapt and learn in their eyes better.
No certificates for me. This is why I'm a freelancer. If I had certificates and degrees I'd be working in a posh design agency, mkay. I think I'm also good at reading comprehension and I would read a brief (and a thread like this) with attention to details and wouldn't ask questions which would indicate that I haven't read what was written before.
>>
>>16526830
I'm using Photoshop and Illustrator. CS6.
>>
>>16526841
You did not get my point it does not look professional to pirate softwares. You can do it Anon but I am telling you a client will be pissed when they find out. They will think that there is no point because they can just go do it themself then. If a photographer shows up to a wedding hes being paid to do with a card board box as his stand for his camera and his camera lens be a toliet paper roll tapped to his camera how do you think people will feel?

Also what are you using to code?

>>16526836
Do some online courses to get a certificate. You need a bit more theory behind you I am not going to tell you what but basing your work off others will make your work look generic and not have your own style to it. If you are doing your work that way you be better off just doing an adminstration job.
>>
>>16526776
I agree with most of what you wrote, but I've answered a person anyway. I think shyness question is appropriate here, only a different word would be more suitable. I am slow worker, slow speaker and so on (which makes me appear shy). But I don't use that word to describe myself usually. I did not win a genetic lottery in that respect.
>>
>>16526862
I am giving you real advice and you just push aside my advice because it is not what you want to hear?
>>
>>16526861
>You did not get my point it does not look professional to pirate softwares. You can do it Anon but I am telling you a client will be pissed when they find out. They will think that there is no point because they can just go do it themself then. If a photographer shows up to a wedding hes being paid to do with a card board box as his stand for his camera and his camera lens be a toliet paper roll tapped to his camera how do you think people will feel?
Dude, you don't know about the world. You were born in a rich country. I would say something like half of freelancers in the world are using pirated software, just as many as people who are downloading music. You just don't see that, because these people don't advertise that in their Behance or DeviantArt portfolios. Is that clear? I want the type of client who doesn't care, and I've had them, and nobody asked me if my software is licensed, it's not their business. Their business is getting a result for the money they pay. What software I use is not their problem at all.
> They will think that there is no point because they can just go do it themself then.
Nonsense.
> Also what are you using to code?
Something free that is available for Mac OS.
> Do some online courses to get a certificate. You need a bit more theory behind you I am not going to tell you what but basing your work off others will make your work look generic and not have your own style to it. If you are doing your work that way you be better off just doing an adminstration job.
OK, I get your opinion. I'm happy for you if you're making money. It's just that we have different strengths and weaknesses. I know very successful designers who don't have any degrees, so that depends on a person.
>>16526870
I don't know which of the anon is you, it can be confusing. If don't know if I can answer differently. I'm replying the way I can. If someone doesn't like my answers, they obviously wouldn't be my client. It's fine.
>>
>>16526884
>you were born in a rich country.
Noooopppeeeeeeeeeeeee. My parents are both injured vets I grew up dirt poor but I would work any job I could to save up and save my money. The only reason I am well off is because of motivation and the constant need to want to learn more.

I AM telling you what happens in the real world if you do not believe me you can go ask a graphic design forum or a web design forum about if they hire someone who copies work and uses pirated software.

I do NOT have degrees I have certifications and I take courses just to learn along with buying books. You need to learn the rules before you can break them.
>>
File: webexample2.jpg (561 KB, 800x723) Image search: [Google]
webexample2.jpg
561 KB, 800x723
One more example.
>>
>>16526909
I have a feeling this thread was not for advice but to advertise yourself.
>>
4chan is not a website for advertising yourself shamelessly.

Got to craigslist, fiver, do a fucking google search.
>>
>>16526905
>I AM telling you what happens in the real world if you do not believe me you can go ask a graphic design forum or a web design forum about if they hire someone who copies work and uses pirated software.
I am telling you that nobody in their right mind mentions in their portfolios that their software is not licensed, but it doesn't mean that it is. And nobody mentions that on western design forums. So there's no way for you to know. And for fuck's sake, many artists and designers copy. They copy to learn. You sound like a close-minded person who thinks his way is the only way in the world. What else? You like classical music and you think rock is for dummies and ambient is not music?

>>16526934
>4chan is not a website for advertising yourself shamelessly.
I'm not doing that. I'm asking for advice and answering questions.
>>
>>16526930
Well, linch me like they do it to gays in Iraq. Would be very progressive.
>>
>>16526939
Keep telling yourself that. Copying is for learning purposes copying and then selling it is just lazy. You obivously have no motivation if you are just ripping off other people ideas in hopes of making 50 dollars. The only competion you are going to have is high school students. Maybe you should go try out Gaiaonline seeing your mind in the set of a 15 year old. Well you can keep illegally pirating 1000s of dollars of softwares yearly. You think they will not honestly notice? Haaaaaaaaaaaaa enjoy your time in jail my friend.
>>
>>16526968
>You obivously have no motivation if you are just ripping off other people ideas in hopes of making 50 dollars.
I am not. I did work for more than 600$ dollars before (for the design of several pages including the homepage), if I remember right. The client didn't complain.
> Well you can keep illegally pirating 1000s of dollars of softwares yearly.
You're so close-minded it hurts. If I was your client, I'd leave.
>>
>>16526968
>You think they will not honestly notice?
What? The fact that your work is of lesser quality than mine?
I'm simply giving you the same treatment you're giving me.
>>
>>16527000
>600 dollars
Big spender.
You are good but not great. Feel free to try advice again when you mature after failing again in a couple years.
>>
>>16527014
In some countries it's a very good money. And this is exactly the reason why freelancers in these countries are driving the prices down. It's unfortunate and I don't think it's good. But it is how it is. I will be suffering from this too, I'm living in a quite expensive country myself.
>>
>>16527009
Keep telling yourself that at the end of the day I am making a living being nice and comfy no worries. I would of helped you out but your attitude issues and not able criticism is unbearable. Plus the fact I do not work with people who do not take themselves seriously. I never wish bad on someone but the choices you are making in your life are leading you down a bad path do not say no one warned you.
>>
>>16527030
Say what country you're from.
>>
>>16527035
I have already stated pleb. I have also stated my background. If its your country that is the issue then working freelancing should not hold you back because it is online. The only person holding yourself back is you and your mindset of that poor me I live in this country. I have disabilities myself but you do not see me going around online telling people without disabilities that they have it easy. Nope I work hard instead of complaining. Its easier to not take responsibility of your own life anon.
>>
>>16527050
Canada? Stop judging people then. Canada's population is 35 million, it's one of the richest countries with one of the best health systems and one of the best countries for people with disabilities. I'm from a country that is way poorer than Canada, so you're in no position to know where I'm coming from. Stop being a lazy close-minded ass and learn more about other countries.
>>
>>16527061
You did not even read my post. You do know that Canada is fucked at the moment right? We just got out of a dicatorship that lasted 10 years. All our jobs are gone. Our veterans are being treated worst than Americans. We use to have lots of resources to sell now its all just oil and that tanked. Our hosipitals get shut down for weeks because they can not afford to be opened. Both my parents are injured veterans I started working at a young age to support my family. Instead of grouping a country saying ohhh you are better off you should be less close minded. I usually have a lot of empathy to give but I have none for you. My parents peacekeeped in many countries and I have lived many places they did not almost die to protect a whinny slacker like you.
>>
>>16527080
I have no relation to Canada. Everything is fucked at the moment. And my circumstances in particular. Your advice is mostly suitable for Canada. I am not there.
>>
>>16527085
Nopppe its suitable for online.
These are the paths you have.
>Go on freelance sites they get a cut of the the money. Enter contests in hopes of money. Contiune to pirate and only do small jobs that will not be worth your time and stress in the long run.
>get a job any job save up to buy some books for graphic design to help with figuiring out how to attract a target market. Only do jobs that offer min of 200. Stop pirating. build up a nice portfolio go on behance and apply to online job positions network more. Build a nice website for yourself learn some new techiques you learned from the books. When brain storming ideas for a paid project you start with who, where, what, when, how and why to your project and then after that you collect images of inspiration to get your brain going but do not copy. Try to make it creative but useful. Do not get drunk off simplicity. Its okay to copy when practicing but when doing something paid you should not. Go to local businesses ask them if they like a nice new sleek site and show them your work. Set boundaries. Eventually you will build up a network figuire out your market and get quicker. Once you start bringing in more money take online courses. Always be trying to better yourself. Do not do jobs that go against your values.
>>
>>16526693
>If you sell yourself short you are going to get taken adventage of. Charge a min of 25 an hour and before you start any work get paid half upfront if they are serious they will do it. That way if they do not pay the rest upon completion at least you do not walk out empty handed.
To be payed upfront is exactly what I nee. As I need money. But I don't have recent work, so I will have to get lucky somehow.

>>16526702
>You can actually make this interface? As in, from scratch, and without fucking up the layout?
If I have enough time, it would be close to this quality. I'm sure this designer would do it considerably faster than me as he has way more experience and he's not slow like me.
> As in, you can write all the css and make it work with bootstrap/ionic?
This designer doesn't advertise his CSS writing skills. Why are you asking this question as if you know that he does or that he has to do it. I don't want to do coding.
> What the fuck is it that you actually do?
I've said it.
> How much an hour?
I don't know.
> You have a website OP?
Online portfolio.
>>
File: webexample7.jpg (535 KB, 800x1101) Image search: [Google]
webexample7.jpg
535 KB, 800x1101
Attention details that I like here. Very similar to my style.
>>
>>16527112
>Go on freelance sites they get a cut of the the money. Enter contests in hopes of money.
I would like to just find a client who doesn't need the result fast. No time to enter the contest in hopes of getting chosen. I'm in trouble.
>>
I also need to get payed a certain way. At least this one time. Not everybody will agree to that. It's nothing that unusual, but still, I doubt that a company is going to agree. A person is another thing.
>>
I'm still here.
>>
>>16527229
I already said bellow that what to do. Your welcome now go stop expectng 4chan to do everything and get to work.
>>
>>16528120
Above, not bellow. Apart from that last reply with green text (if it's yours) your comments were degrading to me.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.