[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Diving into the programming world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: CPlusPlus.jpg (36 KB, 433x455) Image search: [Google]
CPlusPlus.jpg
36 KB, 433x455
Hi! I was wondering if any of you, fellow anons, could help me out with where/how to start my quest towards the mastery of c++. I'm pretty much an absolute begginer. Only thing i've done even remotely close to programming was playing around with autoit. Thanks in advance!
>>
>>16525395

w3schools, then find a book on discrete math.
>>
>>16525395
There's plenty of online guides and courses for programming. Good luck anon. Also try picking up a scripting language and learning SQL. You'll need all of those!
>>
If money is not a problem; Lynda. Search for something like C++ essential and advance and you'll pretty much learn everything you'll need.
>>
>>16525395
Do you know why you want to learn C++? If yo u are a beginner and want programming for shit 'n giggles start out with something more simpler like Java.

Look at this website and get an overview of the language:
www gribblelab org/CBootCamp/

If all you want to do is making a simple game (don't take the next sentence as advice if you want get into Networking or other shit, this is a whole other territory and requires you actually to understand what you doing): Get yourself a library e.g. OpenGL, SFML or other countless libraries for graphic manipulation and learn their API instead. It will give you a simple way to learn some basic syntax and how to work with structures and memory.
>>
C++ is good for many things, but learning to program is not one of them. Java may actually be worse.

Start with Python or lua instead. Or maybe Ruby. C (not C++) can be good if you really want to do your training old-school. But wait on C++ or Java until you already have a language or two under your belt.
>>
>>16525395
Just grab some tutorials and a free compiler and dive in. Don't waste time on courses desu, at least not IRL classes.
>>
>>16525514
>Java
>simpler

>>16525531
This, OP. Python is the best beginner language. Unless you're going to need quick computation (and sometimes even then), you can build a lot of beginner projects with Python alone. It's also the most commonly used for prototyping and interviews and such, if you're planning to go professional.

I wouldn't bother with C++ as a beginner since there's a lot of crap you have to deal with in addition to the programming that isn't programming.
>>
>>16525395
Udemy. Find a good course. Use promo code: GETSTARTED10

Any and all courses you wanna buy are like 10 bucks each. Better than using monthly services because most courses are lifetime access.
>>
>>16525813

Java is a bit easier to learn than C++.

Honestly though, a good way to get started in the world of programming is C# with Visual Studio Community edition. It'll hold your hand enough to expose you to some basic programming concepts.

However, you need to quickly determine what exactly you plan on doing with your programming knowledge as each language has it's place in the world.

C++ is used (commonly) when you really need to be able to optimize your code. I.E. a game for example. You'll see a lot of Java/C# in enterprise application development.

If you're looking to be able to pick up a job programming, a really good start would be to familiarize yourself with .NET technologies and maybe a little bit of web development. Those are the safest areas when it comes to getting a job.
>>
>>16525844
>>16525531
>>16525813

Cont. A thing to note, avoid asking questions with very open-ended answers. The programming world is huge and a question such as "HOW DO I LEARN TO PROGRAM" will leave you with more answers than you know what to do with.

There are tons of beginner friendly resources out there. Your best bet, to say again from >>16525844 is to figure out WHY you want to program and for what purpose. From there, you'll get better answers.

Also, >>16525407 makes a good point. Become familiar with math the best you can. It's not always needed, but it's extremely useful to have. Before I started software development at my job, I was a high school dropout who sucked at math. I learned the hard way, fast, that math can make or break you in this game.
>>
Pretty much everything was already said. Just make sure you use Visual Studio as your IDE.
>>
>>16525898

I forgot this as well, you can develop in C++ using Visual C++ in Visual Studio. Visual Studio is the best IDE, bar none.
>>
>>16525813
>This, OP. Python is the best beginner language
Depends on your learning style. C is the best suited for the polar opposite learning style, so keep that in mind if python gets you nowhere, OP.

Also keep in mind that it depends on whether you have instruction or are learning on your own. Python has a dense syntax, so it's easy to accidentally write something that's wrong but still valid, so you benefit more from having someone to ask stoopid questions.
>>
>>16525903
When starting to learn from ground up, why not doing it right.
>gcc / g++
>CMake (if winfag)
>vim / sublime (if winfag)

IDEs take a lot of work away and knowing how the linker etc. works is also important.
>>
>>16525871
The problem I have is math.

I have no idea how to fix it and looking at a course in english which would be even harder to learn since I couldn't even understand math stuff with my primary language.
>>
>>16525987
>vim
Why? There are less autistic text editors out there.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.