[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So to get out of my catch twenty two predicament I need to leave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: z0auawQq.jpg (275 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
z0auawQq.jpg
275 KB, 1252x1252
So to get out of my catch twenty two predicament I need to leave home with the limited funds I have in my bank (about $400). I want to move to Seattle. What's the best way to go about doing this soon.
>>
Where's the catch 22?
>>
>>16521806
The only way I can stay home is if I major in stem and after two and a half years of pursuing I finally have had enough. So I want to move out and the best way to move out is to work and save money, but if I work my parents will kick me out. So I want to leave home asap because I don't like the situation in placed in.
>>
>>16521827
>The only way I can stay home is if I major in stem
Says who?
>>
>>16521832
Says my parents, they are very adamant about it
>>
>>16521837
If you've done two and a half years, why not finish it? Also why the fuck are they dictating what you study?
>>
>>16521837
None of this is a catch 22. You'd be surprised, but your parents can be wrong sometimes. Once you learn that, you should be able to learn how to function like an adult and make decisions for yourself.
>>
>>16521839
They pay for it so it's understandable that they want to control my major. And I don't want to finish because after bouncing from computer science to chemistry and back to computer science I haven't made any real progress into a major. I've only completed all my general education requirements. Also, between bouncing around I haven't truly found anything in stem that I don't absolutely dread.
>>
>>16521845
But STEM master race, right?
>>
>>16521845
Then look into a different major. Regardless if they believe that STEM is the place you should be studying, it doesn't mean it is. Which classes of your Gen Ed have you enjoyed the most? Take a few more of those and try that field. It's great they are paying for it now, but if you are in a field you aren't happy in you'll emotionally pay that price later. Not good for your mental state, friend.
>>
>>16521842
It's a catch 22 in the aspect of me wanting to leave. The best way to leave and be stable is to get a job but if I get a job I'll be kicked out.

Okay maybe it's not/exactly a catch 22 but I think you understand what I'm trying to get at.
>>
>>16521855
Then get a job and move out/be kicked out. Seriously, what do you want us to tell you?
>>
>>16521845
>Also, between bouncing around I haven't truly found anything in stem that I don't absolutely dread.
What don't you dread, then?
>>
>>16521861
I would like advice on moving out with my limited funds
>>
>>16521853
I know it's terrible but I liked philosophy quite a bit. Also, I've been playing guitar for about 6 years. These are where my interests lie and I feel like they wouldn't be supportive in the least bit of these pursuits.
>>
>>16521864
Question: how will you parents know you've dropped out anyway? If you get a job where you work during basically the same hours as you were going to class, they're not going to know. If they're paying your fees, enrol in classes they'd want you to enrol in, and then withdraw from those classes and get a refund
>>
>>16521855
Do you know what a catch 22 is? If you leave the downside is your parents stop paying for college? Is that it?
catch-22
noun
a dilemma or difficult circumstance from which there is no escape because of mutually conflicting or dependent conditions.

>>16521861
This man is correct. If you are unhappy, which you clearly are doing a STEM major, then you have these options:
1. Change majors
2. Move out and don't have your parents control what you do
3. Stay where you are and let it continue to tear apart your mental state.

I have a hard time believing this is the only issue going on. Not incredibly hard to see what needs to happen. Hard to actually get the guts to do something for yourself.
>>
>>16521864
Check the area for cost of living. Check the area for jobs. Apply for said jobs. Find the most affordable housing place you can stay in. Bring your personal items to that housing. Reside in it. You're now moved.
>>
>>16521874
You're right that there's more issues going on but I don't want to delve too deep into my family history. Let's just say that my family is from a rural part of Africa and me being born in America has made us not see eye to eye on pretty much everything. But I never talk to them about it because they seem to be dead set in their beliefs. For instance, I've been severely depressed for quite awhile now but anytime the issue of mental health comes up they shun it as devil possession.
>>
>>16521884
Why wouldn't you tell us the whole story if you actually want help? Why the fuck do people like you think we can help if you don't tell us everything we need to know?
>>
>>16521884
Well, what you need to remember is that while you may have differences in beliefs, both parties are correct in feeling what they feel. That does not however, mean that you need to do what they want you to. All you can do is tell them that you want to move, and that you would really appreciate their support. Be grateful for what they've done for you in the past and tell them that your mind is made up. If that move is to Seattle, great. If it is a move to a different major, great. No one can tell you how you feel. Once you know what your needs are, you just need to act upon what makes you happy.
>>
>>16521889
Because my initial concern was with moving out with only $400. I didn't want to discuss why I've come to this point in my life.
>>
>>16521893
Yeah when I was "younger" (I'm only twenty) I absolutely despised them, but I've since grown to realize that we are who we are. I wish I didn't feel like I have to leave my parents but the void between is too much to bear. I mean I could try taking it out with them but I feel like I won't get much support so that's why I've come here for advice for when the inevitable occurs.
>>
>>16521897
Saying it was a Catch 22 heavily implied like there was going to be something actually keeping you from moving. Aside from that, just Google how to do it. Which part are you the most nervous for? Housing? Job? Clearly identify your problem you need the most help with.
>>
>>16521912
I'm nervous about finding a job before my funds run out and I'm forced to live in the streets. From what I can see, I'll only have eight days to live in a motel. If I don't find a job in those eight days I'll be screwed.
>>
>>16521922
Why can't you find a job before you move out? Why do you have to move to Seattle right away?
>>
>>16521922
Apply for the jobs now. When they call for interviews, let them know you aren't in the city. Be certain that you'll have a job immediately. Possibly two. If you go the two job route, I'd aim for a job where you aren't waiting for a paycheck, like waiting tables. However you'll want to be certain your second job pays well.
>>
>>16521941
This is solid advice thanks. A waiting job seems perfect for my situation.

>>16521929
I don't need to move right away but it seems difficult to find a job you can't interview for on person.
>>
>>16521955
>I don't need to move right away but it seems difficult to find a job you can't interview for on person.
So find a job where you are now, save up and then move? I don't see why this isn't an option
>>
>>16521960
If my parents found out I would be forced to quit or leave
>>
>>16521965
You misunderstand. Find a job where you are, move out and then live in your city until you have enough to move to Seattle. Also relevant is >>16521873
>>
>>16521965
You really need to listen to what I've been saying. Your parents can not make you quit. They might make you leave, but I'm assuming you have a back up place to live in the current city you're in. Your parents do not control your actions.

I need you to say what your parents can't do back to me so I know you are comprehending.
>>
>>16521975
I don't really have a place to stay in my current city. That's why my move wouldn't make much of a difference. But I guess I could stay in a motel here until I save up enough to move, I just don't want to be stuck in my city.
>>
>>16521995
No friends in the city you can crash at for a bit? Also, have you had these exact discussions with your parents? Communicating the problems that you have? Honestly, you can just read this thread to them.
>>
>>16521995
>I guess I could stay in a motel here until I save up enough to move, I just don't want to be stuck in my city.
Fuck, you're so childish
>>
>>16521999
Thanks for being straight forward with me but could you explain your position.
>>
>>16522011
>won't stand up to parents
>doesn't seem to realise that his parents can't MAKE him do anything
>wants to move NOW and doesn't like the idea of waiting to get what he wants
>>
>>16522006
I don't mean stuck as in "oh no I want to feel alive and leave my boring town". I mean it as in I don't want to be stuck in a motel I could never get out because I don't make enough money.
>>
>>16522014
See this>>16522020
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.