[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I give my life purpose/meaning? I'm a freshman in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 579x676) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 579x676
How do I give my life purpose/meaning? I'm a freshman in college and all I do is wake up, go to class, do homework, and hang out with people I live with. I feel like every day lacks substance, that I'm just going through the motions of living without feeling anything. How do I get out of this slump? I've also been particularly unmotivated lately. I started the year off doing well in my classes, but I simply don't have the will to drag myself through more homework/studying. It's sad to say, I'm only truly happy when I'm high because it's the only time I have where I'm not weighed down by the monotony of my life. And even then, it's only temporary & I feel like shit afterwards
>>
Get a hobby.
>>
>>16520101
Let me guess, liberal arts major?
>>
>>16520107
I'd have thought STEM, actually. STEM majors are the ones more likely to be at uni for the wrong reasons, and thus don't actually have any motivation to learn what they're learning. Liberal arts majors are there because they like what they're studying
>>
>>16520107
I actually just switched from chemE to English. I never really liked STEM classes, but I've always done well in them so I went for it. A few weeks in & I couldn't stand it anymore, and the thought of having to do it for the rest of my life was sickening. So I switched to English because I thoroughly enjoyed in high school & I'm just kind of hoping that I still enjoy it. If not, I'll be entirely lost in terms of what I want to do.
Just curious, what made you assume that?
>>
>>16520113
>top kek
Liberal arts majors are all the kids who bought into "go to college, a degree will mean you dont have to flip burgers!" And then went "i dont know what i want to major in but i dont like math"
>>
>>16520113
This. I was sorta pressured into it by the expectations my family has of me. Having done well in STEM classes all throughout high school, I felt obligated to go into engineering so that I wouldn't disappoint. I was more drawn to the financial security than I was the actual engineering, and I feel like in the long run, I'd eventually hit a point where money doesn't matter & then I'd be stuck with a job & degree that I have no interest in.
>>
>>16520113
>stoner
>thinking college is a magical experience
>wanting "substance"

You are a walking stereotype for a liberal arts major.
>>
>>16520128
>muh STEM meme
As evidenced by >>16520123, OP hated STEM. Do you actually think that STEM majors aren't more likely to be the ones who are doing it for the wrong reasons? Even if liberal arts majors think that any degree will save them from a lifetime of flipping burgers, they're smart enough to not take a major that they won't enjoy.
>>
>>16520147
Is that actually your only argument against what I just said?
>>
>>16520147
I hesitate to call myself a stoner, I've only recently started smoking & I do it at most once a week. And I didn't expect college to be a magical experience, and that isn't what the thread is about. I'm just looking for advice on how to get out of a personal slump that I'm in. I'm not looking for someone to transform my college experience into something magical.
>>
>>16520149
>op has taken at most 2 semesters of stem
>he hated it!!

Orr he was daunted by the workload and backed off. 2 semesters is not long at all and to op i would say unless you want to be a teacher why get an english degree? I have a friend who got a history degree and has been out of school for 2 years looking for a job. Im about to graduate with a 54k job in a month.

The sad part is my friend is just as smart as me and could have easily gone stem but didnt like math or homework and he doesnt want to be a teacher and has a worthless degree.

What exactly didnt you like about your classes OP?
>>
>>16520170
>I've never really liked STEM classes
It's not two semesters he didn't like, learn to read. Also I know people like you don't like to hear it, but non-STEM degrees are incredibly versatile and no more useless than any other degree. It's not the major that matters, it's what you do with it.
>>
>>16520170
Ironically, I've always told myself that if money didn't matter, I'd want to be an English teacher. They're some of the most inspirational people I've met. But anyways, as to why I didn't like my STEM classes, I just found the material to be uninteresting. I've always preferred English & the "form your own opinion & defend it" thing, rather than "this is how you do a problem, your answer is either right or wrong." In high school, English was the only class I would walk out of & think to myself "wow that was really interesting." There's just something so fulfilling about having a deep understanding of literature that I simply don't get from any STEM classes. I've also looked into career options, and from what I've read, English majors can end up in a lot of different places outside of academia (and I mean actual careers, not temporary jobs). I'm not necessarily worried about the career thing though, even though I probably should be.
>>
>>16520187
Yeah, from what I've read online, English majors are pretty versatile & it all depends on the skills you develop rather than "oh you have x degree, so here's a job in x field"
>>
I really don't want this to turn into a stem vs liberal arts thread anymore than it already has. I'm just a genuine man looking for some genuine advice :^)
>>
>>16520113
this statement couldn't be more true. I love when STEM majors say they're the "master race" but whenever someone tells me they're majoring in math all I hear is "i'm majoring in making as much money possible"

unless you're autistic no one LOVES math
>>
>>16520205
I actually have a friend who majored in math (and computer science, I think). He loved it at uni and was really good at it too. A year after graduation at a well-paying job, he's miserable and wishes he could be doing something less rigid and more fulfilling - to the point where he's actually considering working in a cafe to pay rent while going back to study something else because he hates his job that much.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.