[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some unique and unusual cool sounding names I can name
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7
File: Zebulon.jpg (110 KB, 399x365) Image search: [Google]
Zebulon.jpg
110 KB, 399x365
What are some unique and unusual cool sounding names I can name my children?
>>
Just give them a normal name you hippie
>>
Silas
>>
>>16519026
This. You don't want them to be mocked wtf. Don't think about you calling them that out of affection. Think of them as having to use that name to introduce themselves to potential employers. "Hi my name is Crabulon and I'm here to interview for the finance internship". Fuck off.

I'd say the sweet spot is names that occur at a rate of about between one and two standard deviations from average. Kinda unique but not enough to cause trouble.
>>
>>16519026
Whats the fun in that. I want my kid to have a cool different name not some generic name where if you shout it in a crowded room 20 people turn around.
>>
>>16519051
Sorry, stupid hippie, but naming your kid Starmoon Riberhawk Johnson LITERALLY means:
>they will always have to repeat their name when introducing themselves
>no one will ever say or spell their name correctly
>job interviewers subconsciously biased against weirder names

If you really want it, please at least give their kid a normal first name and your retarded middle name of choice. You can even call him by his middle name and let him salvage a real name when he actually has to leave the house and get a job.
>>
>>16519051
Just name them a less common, but still normal name.
>>
>>16519026
>>16519026
There's a difference between an interesting and uncommon name like Hugh and some meme name.
>>
>>16519063
What in your mind are unacceptable names?

Zebulon is a cool name and so is Soren.
>>
My husband's name is Dallen. Unique enough people need to ask again but common enough that they can spell it and remember the name. I love his name. Only person I know with it.
>>
>>16519077
Absolutely haram. Even short names like Thi (pronounced Tea) or Adhi (uh-dee) can cause a kid a lot of grief, to the point of changing their name later in their life. Please give them a normal first name. John Soren and call him Soren is a fine enough compromise. Don't give a kid a unique name and create problems for him just because of your own whims.
>>
Trying to be too cool and clever can ostracize your kid.

It's stupid but people judge off names a lot.

I'm white and I have a very popular black name. I like the name but it stinks when everyone expects a black guy, and they aren't joking about it.
>>
>>16519024

My cousin recently had a baby, she named lyric.

I have yet to call it by that name, and have since referred to it as "hippy name".

>>16519063

>>job interviewers subconsciously biased against weirder names

Not even subconsciously. These days anything offends anyone, and if you mispronounce some foreign sounding name then bam - instantly labelled racist. It's not worth the risk.

So you just pick the people with the easier to pronounce and more memorable names.

It's not even subconscious. It's a very conscious decision to avoid people who lets face it, were most likely raised by tumblr leftists who're over sensitive and say shit like "your rights end where my feelings begin".
>>
File: wine.jpg (745 KB, 4800x3168) Image search: [Google]
wine.jpg
745 KB, 4800x3168
>>16519024
I'm a big fan of wine and cheese OP so I'm going to name my first son Havarti and my first daughter either Merlot or Chardonnay.
>>
>>16519077
Your child is not a toy for you to live vicariously through. Too many people are naming their kids some fantasy bullshit name that they've cooked up in their heads to be 'cool', but no one likes your shit names except you.
>>
>>16519092

Tyrone?

Jamal the jewfro?
>>
>>16519100
Marcus

> 'Murica
>>
>>16519088
Did you live in a state that allowed gay marriage or did you two recently get married after the Supreme Court ruling?

>>16519092
Whats your very black name? Tyrome?
>>
>>16519024
>Worris
>Wario
>Ban'tan'iarr
>Guphroth
>I.P. Freely
>>
>>16519092
I know a white dude named Jamal and a white lady named Shasta
>>
>>16519101

That's actually a really white name (in my opinion).

The nerdiest whitest guy I know is called marcus.

Then again, I'm not from 'merica so maybe it's more common to call black people marcus there.
>>
>>16519024

My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue."

Well, he must o' thought that is quite a joke
And it got a lot of laughs from a' lots of folk,
It seems I had to fight my whole life through.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."
>>
>>16519108
> I.P. Freely
>>
>>16519096
Those are actually some cool odd names. Good job anon.
>>
Just use a name that's uncommon for the first name, and have fun with the middle name. Middle names pretty much don't matter at all, so if your kid ends up hating what you pick, it can be easily ignored. If he/she likes it, it is prime material for a nickname.
>>
>>16519101
Marcus can easily go either way- definitely a uni-race name haha.

Also, my name is Brooke. Not super common, but not weird at all. I like it, but I also go by Bam, which has stuck since elementary school. I vote for more Brookes in the world if it's a girl, OP.
>>
>>16519192
Is Garnett an acceptable first name for a boy?
>>
>>16519207
>>>/co/
>>
>>16519320
I don't get it?
>>
Give them normal names, but put xX Xx on either side.

xXRobertXx
xXSusanXx
xXJimXx
>>
I like the name Mustardseed. I forget where I heard it, though.

Oh wait, here, two days ago.
>>
add a 'The' to the front of any name for an instantly unique and majestic name

eg. The Henry, The Joan, The Chris

similarly, you can also just have 'The' as your child's middle name!

eg. H.T. Smith is really Henry The Smith, or J.B.Black is really Joan The Black
>>
>>16519492
I TA'd a class once with a kid named Thelord. Pronounced it "thellard." I always felt bad for him.
>>
>>16519095
>My cousin recently had a baby, she named lyric.
>I have yet to call it by that name, and have since referred to it as "hippy name".
Oh, come on, man; that one's easy. Just shorten the name to Lee. Perfectly plausible as a name.
>>
I'm going to name me boy Chevron and me girl Exxon. I'm big into the oil and gas business.
>>
>>16519579
Sorry I meant Exxonia not just Exxon.
>>
File: retardedmom.jpg (97 KB, 640x450) Image search: [Google]
retardedmom.jpg
97 KB, 640x450
Here are some winners.
>>
La-a pronounced ladasha
>>
>>16519096
>drinking Merlot
>ever
Absolutely disgusting
>>
Tbh
>>
>>16519101
>Expecting some crazy Tyrone, Trayvon, La-Qon(dash don't be silent) shit
>Get a name that is often shortened to Marc
So lame, I'm American and half-black and Marcus really doesn't make me think "black guy".
>>
>>16519602
Looks like she's "Lakynn" brains
>>
>>16519437
xXGai_DerekXx
>>
I know a black woman who named her daughter Aloe Vera Lashawn.
>>
>>16519077
>soren
also anybody named Jay or DJ is a faggot
>>
Senpai
>>
>>16519098
not that guy, but those sound like Mormon names. I knew a bunch of LDS guys when I was in the army and a lot of them had names that sounded like they could be biblical, yet were not. Two names I can remember were Zenas and Tregg.
>>
>>16519686
Nice
>>
Jax
>>
>>16519024
Wanting to use your child's identity as an accessory to show off what a "cool and unique" person you are is an asshole thing to do. Also you'll condemn your kids to a lifetime of misspelled version of their name written on things, having to spend a lot of time spelling their name out, and people rolling their eyes behind their back. Also a weird name will affect their life opportunities. You don't know what your kid will want to do in life. What if they want to become a lawyer or a politician? Give a name that will serve them well in every situation.

Give your kid a name with a meaning, a name with ties to their roots and who they are, instead of a gimmicky trendy "unusual and cool sounding" superficial meaningless bullshit name that'll sound super dated in a decade.
>>
>>16519077
It's spelled Sören or Soren (with the slashed o, not sure if it'll repeat properly on 4chan)

Why the fuck do Americans insist on giving their kids names they've stolen from other languages they can't even spell properly let alone pronounce ffs?
Pick names where all the letters are actually a part of the Anglo alphabet to start with instead of mutilating names, thanks
>>
File: Picture 1.png (14 KB, 239x104) Image search: [Google]
Picture 1.png
14 KB, 239x104
>>16520065
Yep it didn't repeat. Again, why would you insist on giving your kid a name that's written with a letter that most systems in your culture don't even recognise? Stick to your own cultural heritage.
>>
>>16519024
Seven.
>>
>>16520044
No it's not, it's perfectly fine for you want your name to be on that birth certificate with a cool name like Bartelby.
>>
>>16519844
Nice
>>
>>16519024
A number name would be pretty near.

Zero being the most popular, followed by Seven or Thirteen.

I already picked a name for my daughter, and for my son when I have them. But it's not a number, and they are rather good names. Just so happened to see them on street-names.
>>
>>16520091
>literally wanting to use your child's lifelong identity as a decorative piece to further your own cool self-image, kind of like a trendy accessory du jour

Please don't breed.
>>
>what are some cool and unusual names
tryhard: the thread
>>
>>16519024
Anus Hemmoroidicus
Clitoria
Zappa
>>
>>16519024
I always thought Melena would be a lovely name for a girl
>>
Nothing over two syllables.
Nothing that sound stupid.
>>
>>16519029
I love this name.
>>16519026
>>16519050
You don't want you kid to be named something that rhymes with a bodily function, or something bizarre like Crayola or Galaxy or something with a retarded spelling, but a unique name isn't a bad thing. My name is unique as fuck, and people have always told me how much they liked it.
>>16519063
Not naming your kid one of the 20 most popular names of the year doesn't mean naming him/her something insane.
>>16519064
This is a good strategy.
>>16519077
A friend of mine just named her daughter Saren. I'm down with that.
>>16519116
I literally met a black lady named Tequila once. Blew my mind. And then I was like.... ok that's pretty beautiful. TEQUILA IS MY LADY.
>>16519125
Gospel.
>>16519192
also a good strategy.
>>
>>16519602

Fuckin' white people
>>
>>16520279

Adolph
Albert
Samson
Latavious
Travian
Jim Bob
Keonte
Heinrich
Barack
LeBron
Shaquille
Herbert
Franklin
Donald
Elvin
Maurice
Clarance
Percy
Lionel
Luther
>>
You really shouldn't name your child something bizarre.

I named my son Goopy because I thought it sounded cool. My son is teased an awful lot.
>>
But I have my kids names all picked out:

Boys: Junior (after my name), Byron, Edgar Ray, Cecil, Bedford, and Calvin.

Girls: Sarah, Grace Anna, Elizabeth, Victoria, Lucy, Rachel
>>
>>16519024
Lloyd
>>
>>16520296
>Adolph
You nazi piece of shit
>>
>>16520321
Plenty of people and fictional things are named Adolph not just hitler, hell even one of Santa's Reindeer is named Adolph. Don't you remember singing that song as a child

>Adolph the red nosed reindeer, had a very shiny nose, yada yada yada
>>
>>16520367
rudolph
>>
>>16520367
oh yea! right before the part where they gas blitzen!
>>
>>16520321

You focused on Adolph but didn't even realize the other "offensive" names
>>
File: 818.gif (1 MB, 172x162) Image search: [Google]
818.gif
1 MB, 172x162
>>16520303
>Boys: Junior (after my name), Byron, Edgar Ray, Cecil, Bedford, and Calvin.
>>
>>16520368
Are you sure? I was certain Satan's lead reindeer is named Adolph? Oh well, memories can be distorted I guess.
>>
File: omfgg.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
omfgg.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>16519686
Damn son
>>
>>16520389

Byron De La Beckwith
Edgar Ray Killen
Cecil Price
Nathan Bedford Forrest
And the Greatest President ever, Calvin Coolidge.
>>
>>16520375
no, they're all world leaders, I get it, its just not as salient to anybody. I don't care if some of them killed more people or you're a nazi apologist cause you think its edgy
>>
>>16520405
>Giving someone else's family name as a first name for your kid

Please don't do that shit.
>>
>>16519443
HAHAHA I remember that thread, god, that was so retarded
>>
>>16520410
What makes you say it was retarded? I'm the one whose going to name my child Mustardseed. I started that thread.
>>
I've always loved the name Atticus -- but since it's from a classic book and seems archaic no one seems to appreciate it
>>
>>16520445
I LOVE that name too.
>>
>>16520451
I'm thinking of using that name for my eldest son when I decide to have children.

Albeit, it seems like a name that is limited to the wealthy elites. What I mean is that I'm going to wait until I have kids anyway -- giving a child a name like that is more accepted coming from a wealthy, older man that is established in life rather than some smug young adult who chose it after reading the book.

Not sure if it's my drunk thoughts that are talking right now
>>
>Morgoth
>Satan
>Naruto
>Kel Mi
>Kai Nuq'Sin
>Dolomite
>Tom Cruise
>Wobuffet
>Jackusto
>>
>>16519024
Isaac
>>
I have a Seth.
We aren't even Jewish or American.
>>
>>16519088
this, unusual does not automatically mean weird.

>>16519096
merlot sounds legit, like a variation of marlo or something and you can sort of hear it without thinking wine immediately.
chardonnay sounds cringeworthy,cheap and to obviously wine.
naming someone after wine is going to make people assume she's an alcoholic though. would be a serious labor market disadvantage.

>>16519192
much this, I hated my middle name as a kid but now kinda like it cause it's unusual but masculine.

similarly one could go for an unusual name that's shortened to a normal one.

>>16520606
why would one have to be jewish to be named after an egyptian god?
>>
>>16519024
Melanoma
>>
I've recently become attached to the name "Jemma." I think I might even go as far to say I'm going to name my daughter that whenever I have a kid.
>>
>>16519024
Bangus lol
>>
>>16519024
Malebolgia is tough sounding and nobody will mess with a kid named after a demon from the Spawn universe.
>>
>>16519024
Aristotle

Seriously, me and my wife are planning on naming our first son Aristóteles (portuguese way of spelling Aristotle)
>>
>>16520227
just makes me think of skin cancer sryyy bbyyyy
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.