[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calling all vets / former military
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
Thank you all for serving!

>Be me
>27
>Work full time
>2 Associates degrees
>Also schooling full time for Bachelors in Business Administration
>All As so far except for one C- in a class where almost no one passed
>Paying as I go because fuck debt
>Will graduate when I'm 28
>Considering Navy Reserve

I've basically been climbing myself out of rock bottom since I was 25 (for about 9 months I was jobless, depressed, eating garbage, and day drinking). And every month that passes I gain a little more confidence and a little bit more self-esteem. Talking to my veteran friends has me thinking about the military.

My question to /adv/ is. Should I finish out my degree and then enlist in the reserve at age 29? Or should take a semester off to go to BCT and come back and finish school? Is that even possible?

Also what kind of MOS can I expect to have at my age with over 3.5 GPA Business Administration Degree?

I would like to pursue a Masters in International Relations (I have a passion for other cultures, travel, and global politics, etc.) eventually and pursue something NGO related with plenty of adventure and experiences to be had. I think the Navy would set me up nicely for that.

What does /adv/ think? Honest answers.
>>
I would recommend avoiding the military.

MOS is not age related as much as it is test score related (ASVAB).
If you have the ability to pick an MOS, you still need to go to school for that which means you need more time away from college.

I was in the Marine Corps. My MOS was ground radio repair. School was 9 months in 29 Palms, CA.
First duty station was in Okinawa.

Some of the guys in boot camp were radio operators. School was in the same place but was only 2 months long.
>>
come on /adv/.

no one?
>>
>>16518313

Thanks for the advice.

Avoiding Military all together? Even reserve?

Why is that? Because of my situation? Or for anyone?
>>
>>16518320
>Avoiding Military all together? Even reserve?
Yes

>Why is that? Because of my situation? Or for anyone?
Both

The military is not for everyone.
I went enlisted thinking that I could move to being an officer due to my test score. After being in for 2 years, I knew it wasn't for me and got out at 5.

You are treated like a body and not a person. Unless you have 15 years under your belt, you have no input towards your goals.

Reserve is probably a bit better but you are still contractually obligated to the US govt for a minimum of 8 years. Meaning, they will call you for service if needed.
>>
>>16518313

Alpha company...

I was a radar guy, spent 13 months at 29 palms for school, taught at the air schools the last year of my enlistment.

You don't meet very many people from mcces in vet cirlces, always weird to "run into" one.
>>
>>16518361
No doubt.

Semper Fi
>>
>>16518372

I enjoyed the place, I don't know why everyone complains about it so much - 90 mins from vegas, 120 mins from santa monica... I guess if you don't have a car it would suck.
>>
>wanting to be a puppet for the military industrial complex
lmao
>>
>>16518522

I used to be like you. And then I got tired of hanging around whiny ass Beta Faggot English Majors, that think the world owes them something because they can recite a sonnet..
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.